Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installed Inverter - 06 Bounder 35e

We just bought this coach and had the dealer install a 2100 watt inverter. It overloads immediately upon powering up and I traced down that the power converter is what appears to he overloading the inverter.

Where is the converter on this couch? Can it be temporarily unplugged or is it hard wired? Any ideas for a more permanent fix to address this issue? Can the converter be wired into a different circuit in the panel box?

Thanks for any assistance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ494
We just bought this coach and had the dealer install a 2100 watt inverter. It overloads immediately upon powering up and I traced down that the power converter is what appears to he overloading the inverter.

Where is the converter on this couch? Can it be temporarily unplugged or is it hard wired? Any ideas for a more permanent fix to address this issue? Can the converter be wired into a different circuit in the panel box?

Thanks for any assistance.
The converter is under the bottom left drawer under the vanity/ emergency window in the bedroom.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't mention if the inverter is an inverter/charger. If it has the charger function, your converter is no longer necessary. But.... If your converter is ON simultaneously with your new inverter/charger, this is not the reason for the inverter to overload.

My thought is to investigate what your inverter is providing AC (alternating current) to. For example: the inverter is capable of running TVs, a hair dryer, perhaps even the microwave. The inverter should not be wired into your rig in such a manner that it might accidentally attempt to power a roof air conditioner.

Also, the inverter should not be AC-wired in such a manner that it accidentally provides power to your converter.

Finally, you may know that most inverters provide pass-thru power to your rig's AC receptacles when attached to shore power, but provides AC to receptacles using battery power when there is no shore power attached or the genset is providing AC power. So again, you need to ask yourself what AC "consumers" (TVs, microwave, receptacles, etc.) are "down stream" of the inverter. If you need help with defining the inverter's "loads", give us a shout.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ494 View Post
Why do you say the converter is overloading the inverter?

Where did the dealer install the inverter?
If you have a separate converter, the inverter should be wired directly to and as close to the house batteries as possible with large diameter battery cables (1/0 gauge). Also should have an inline fuse.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me fill some holes with some more info. The dealer installed the inverter (NOT inverter/converter combo) in an adjacent compartment, with large guage wire and a short run. They ran a large guage extension cord down to the compartment with the 50 amp connector. They ordered a 50 amp to "converter" plug (30 amp female to 50 amp) connector, so the inverter can power up the entire coach.

When I got to trouble shooting I had ALL electrical appliances off (no load) and turned one circuit on at a time. When I got to the one circuit, the inverter overloaded. That circuit has the two TV sets on it, along with the power converter. But of COURSE this is the circuit I really want to power up, as our main goal of the inverter was to be able to watch TV while dry camping. I didn't think the two TV's (turned off but going into standby mode) would overload the inverter, but I thought the inverter might. I can't imagine what else would be on this circuit that could overload the inverter. SOMETHING on that particular line seems to be drawing 2100+ watts of power.

So........with all that being said...........any new ideas at this point? (Thanks for all the responses. What a GREAT resource! As a "newbie" here on the board, I hope I can "give back" to the group.) :-)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Vet

I would go back to the installing party and have them correct the problem. They appear to have a lack of knowledge as to your wants. OR they lack the appropriate expertise.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ494 View Post
I can't imagine what else would be on this circuit that could overload the inverter. SOMETHING on that particular line seems to be drawing 2100+ watts of power.

So........with all that being said...........any new ideas at this point? (Thanks for all the responses. What a GREAT resource! As a "newbie" here on the board, I hope I can "give back" to the group.) :-)
That sounds pretty much like how my Pro-watt 600 is set up. When plugged into inverter power I have to make sure the fridge is on propane, the inverter is turned off (I installed a on-off switch for this) and the electric water heater is on gas. When set up this way 600 watts powers everything I want it to. I have to run genny to use microwave, toaster or any high wattage device. I use a french press for making coffee, so coffee pot is not an issue.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
John's response pretty much says it all. You have to control what devices might be drawing power from the inverter.....or you undertake a re-wiring so that "heavy users" (heavy loads) devices are on a separate circuit and breaker of their own. The latter is a better way to go but requires a good understanding of AC wiring disciplines.

But rather than tackle world hunger at this point, begin your efforts by removing the converter (a charger) from the circuit that the inverter is powering.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
What you have is exactly the way I am going to set my inverter up. It is the poor man's inverter install. Not that I'm poor, but that I don't want to spend all the extra money for a transfer switch, breakers, and re-wiring my panel.
The key thing here is to make sure your converter/charger is not powered before you plug your cable into the inverter plug. For the odd time you will dry camp and want to watch TV, just pull the drawer and unplug the converter/charger. Or, if you want to get more technical, wire a switch to the plug.
Obviously all your other hi-load appliances shouldn't be used and anything capable of LPG should be switched to that mode.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #10

This sounds like a typical "whole house" setup. The problem arises when the converter is powered by the inverter, the converter attempts to charge the batteries, which supplies the inverter. It's an endless loop. If the converter is not turned off, the inverter will probably overload, and the batteries WILL discharge very quickly. In addition to turning off the converter, high amperage loads such as the air conditioner, electric water heater, etc, should also be turned off. I installed a manual transfer switch that switches between shore/inverter power, and disconnects the desired circuits when in inverter mode. See my install here. Manual Transfer Switch for Inverter
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooted View Post
This sounds like a typical "whole house" setup. The problem arises when the converter is powered by the inverter, the converter attempts to charge the batteries, which supplies the inverter. It's an endless loop. If the converter is not turned off, the inverter will probably overload, and the batteries WILL discharge very quickly. In addition to turning off the converter, high amperage loads such as the air conditioner, electric water heater, etc, should also be turned off. I installed a manual transfer switch that switches between shore/inverter power, and disconnects the desired circuits when in inverter mode. See my install here. Manual Transfer Switch for Inverter
Exactly what I was thinking but you beat me to it!
I'm betting the "installer" didn't add a sub panel to split the circuits to control the loads.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, inverter