Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Installing a in-house surge protector

Our MH that we just purchased does have an onboard ECM but doesn't have a in-house mounted surge protector. I don't want to buy & use a portable surge protector dog bone type unit. So after reading here, I'd like to permanently install a Progressive Industries 50AMP unit.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

My question is:
Is this something I can do myself or does it require a master electrician?

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

It's an EZ install. I did a 30A and a 50A no problems, plus they are a great company if you ever have a problem.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made my hard wired surge guard portable by installing a short cord with a plug on one end and a short cord on the other end with a receptacle. I cut the main cable and installed a plug and receptacle on each end. If necessary, I can remove it from the cable and plug the end back together.

If it ever fails I will replace it withe the Progressive Industries one.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
This is not a difficult install in my opinion. I installed the same product as one of my first mods. I placed it just inside of the shore power outside connector. But it could be placed anywhere between there and the first 110 volt device (breaker panel, transfer switch, etc.). I'd choose a place on that route where you have easy access. As in mounting anything in an RV beware of what is on the other side of the mounting surface. Screws have a way of punching holes in things not intended, don't ask. The main cable for 50 Amp service is thick and heavy. Regular wire cutters will not cut it. I used a Sawsall to cut my cable at the desired location. A pair of heavy duty bypass wire cutters or a hacksaw will also work. Make certain that the shore power is unplugged and he negative on the battery is pulled if you have an inverter. Do not cut a wire unless you KNOW it de-engerized. I replaced a section of the interior 50 Amp cable to get enough length to work with. Each install will be different. The biggest problems were just bending these wires within the EMS device to the screw contact points, it will go, just a little effort.

By all means get the remote device that shows the EMS status as well. I mounted mine in a basement compartment near the shore power connector. This allows me to check the power status right away. They also sell a kit to install a second remote monitor that could be placed inside the coach if desired.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Our MH that we just purchased does have an onboard ECM but doesn't have a in-house mounted surge protector. I don't want to buy & use a portable surge protector dog bone type unit. So after reading here, I'd like to permanently install a Progressive Industries 50AMP unit.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

My question is:
I actually got a 50 amp Progressive portable one as a house warming gift. (we need more friends like that!!). I really do like it and it's saved my electronics on at least 2 occasions.

I've had it going on 9 years now with zero issues. It is capable of being locked onto the pedestal while your at camp. One of the problems my coach has, it has an electric cord on a reel which feeds directly into the CB panel. No room anywhere to mount a permanent unit unless you do a bunch of re-routing.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
My question is:
If you are handy with simple electrical work, then it's absolutely something you can do yourself. I simply cut my shore cord about 12" from the ATS and installed it in line. The only tricky part is feeding the 6ga hot wires through the sensor coils and making it fit in a small space. Other than that, it was a breeze to install in about 30 minutes. Here is how mine is mounted and I have the LED readout on the back wall of the electrical bay. You won't regret having one. This one has saved me twice from under powered pedestals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PI-HW50C.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	140754  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

As LtDan said, electrically it is easy. However, physically getting the heavy conductors, coils, etc in the small confines requires effort.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

I will go against the tide a little and suggest you look into professional installation. I, as have countless many others, have successfully installed these units. As you can see from the other post there there are many variables to the installation depending on the MH which may require relocating wires, etc. If you are a DIY type of guy AND you feel comfortable around high amp heavy wires and are familiar with 220 wiring then go for it.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Lt Dan. If you're handy with basic hand tools you can do it yourself. It will be a lot easier if there is enough slack in the main power cord to cut it and insert the EMS. That wire is stranded and much easier to work with than the solid wire you would probably have to get at Lowes or HD.

As others have said, be SURE you have all power disconnected, including turning off the battery disconnect switches! We don't want to lose a member!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I made my hard wired surge guard portable by installing a short cord with a plug on one end and a short cord on the other end with a receptacle. I cut the main cable and installed a plug and receptacle on each end. If necessary, I can remove it from the cable and plug the end back together.

If it ever fails I will replace it withe the Progressive Industries one.
I did the same thing...except I also have a Autoformer. Both the autoformer and surgeguard are hooked up with plugs/receptacles inside the bay. That way if one or both should fail, it's plug and play to take them out of the loop with no rewiring needed to get power back.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
As LtDan said, electrically it is easy. However, physically getting the heavy conductors, coils, etc in the small confines requires effort.
I second that...... MAJOR effort to do it w/o breaking something.
Rather than cut any wires I pulled the wires off the xfer relay.
Added in a short segment bought at home depot to reconnect.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a more flexible wire.
I spent about 50% of my time trying to form the wires to fit.
Ended up having to splice in a segment to allow it to bend in the space allowed.
I have yet to mount the remote display, holding off till cooler weather arrives.
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Notwithstanding all of the advice posted here that "this is an easy installation," ask yourself this question - "What is the penalty for being wrong?" Perhaps I am just a wuss, but "Homey don't play with electricity."

I looked at the permanent installation, but as you may have discerned from the above, I opted for the portable. There was probably room in my power cord bay, but a 50 amp cord does not bend like a garden hose. Also, you really need to wire in the remote diagnostic display.

In scoping this out with the tech at Progressive Industries, I wanted to know, "Am I reading you correctly that the LCHW50 Hard wired unit bypass feature “jumper wire” is moved automatically when it is finished with its diagnostic routine, or that it must be moved manually by me? If moved manually, it there an auto-reset function which would prevent me from doing something stupid such as plugging in the power cord to the post with the bypass “jumper wire” open, thereby making a direct connection without the unit running the diagnostic routine first?"

I don't recall getting a satisfactory answer to that question, but I could be wrong. Bottom line, I don't like relying on memory, especially mine.

If there is any question in your mind about your level of competence doing the installation, have it installed by a professional. Just one person's opinion, YMMV. Best of luck whichever one you choose.

Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #13
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
The instructions that come with the Progressive unit are so explicit, even a Marine can install one while on the road.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before? (-:

Seriously, itsnot that difficult. Biggie is safety. Make sure all the power sources are off.

I like to take pictures before and as I go along. Helps a lot with questions that may come up during or after.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install