Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

Installing a soap dispenser pump in the shower

Hi all, please help.
I am planning to install a dispenser that has two compartment for shampoo and soap in our MH shower. The mounting bracket has three double sided tapes and the dispenser came with a tube of silicone glue.
Since we will be pulling on the dispenser levels (as oppose to pushing), and we will have shakes when traveling, i thought to use two rust proof steel screws (mounting bracket has holes for this).
I realize that this is not reversible and the holes will be permanent. We will always have something there to cover the holes. I will have silicone around the holes so the water doesnt get behind shower wall.
First question is should i use screws or the tapes and silicone keeps this unit attached without falling?
If OK to use screws please tell me dos and dont's of this.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013. Jeep Wrangler X, 2009
Full Timer from Norfolk VA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I mounted mine with the supplied silicone and it has held firm for 3 years and over 20,000 miles. So my suggestion is to skip the screws and just use the silicone. Make sure you clean the surface properly with solvent before attaching the dispenser with silicone.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #3

Thanks what kind of solvent do I use?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Nxkharra".......Use some rubbing alcohol to scrub the surface where the two sided tape will go. Install the unit and then use the silicone around the perimeter to seal it. Run a small bead, wet your finger (frequently) and smooth out the silicone.

Let it dry for 24 hours before showering or pulling on it. The two sided tape is strong, but will eventually pull loose. The combination of the tape and silicone will last for years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:23 AM   #5

I also used the double-sided tape. The dispenser has held well for three years.
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:10 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Use some of this (http://www.tapeplanet.com/resize/sha...bh=1000&h=1000) and it won't come off. A little alcohol wipe before you attach the mounting tape and it won't move. If you ever do need to remove it, firm consistent prying will remove it with no residue.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is one of my projects in the next few weeks.

I was going to use the Commamd "Wet" hangers. Anyone have any experience with it?

Used Command hangers on a thermometer on the inside of the coach and sticks well - even on "rough" roads.

Ummm - anyone have a recommendation for a 2 compartment dispenser? I have seen them in Bed, Bath, & Beyond and I believe Lowes..........

I can always count on iRV2 for help and answers just when you need it........thanks everyone!!!

g
Old 02-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #8

Mine is Simplehuman brand. Made in USA. Great product and service.
Go to their site.
Thanks all for help. I will not use screws.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013 - Jeep Wrangler X 2009
Old 02-20-2016, 06:09 AM   #9

I just installed the same 2 unit in our shower. I followed instructions that came with the unit and cleaned the old tape and silicone with Naphtha and a plastic putty knife. Cleaned up nice and put the new one up.

George
2005 Country Coach Allure 430
nkgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Mine is Simplehuman brand. Made in USA. Great product and service.
Go to their site.
Thanks all for help. I will not use screws.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013 - Jeep Wrangler X 2009
Yes - neat and clean looking - thanks, I could see me ordering one of these......it will go with our new shower faucet and shower head 👍

g
Old 02-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
"I was going to use the Commamd "Wet" hangers. Anyone have any experience with it?"

I used them to hold up a plastic basket in our shower. Basket holds three very heavy shower shampoo, soap and shaving containers with no problem. Also have soap dispenser mounted with silicone that is in it's second RV. 40k miles on the first one and 12k already on this one. Don't use screws. You will regret it one day. If you want to do extra - mount with 3m command and seal top and sides with silicone.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I also bought the SimpleHuman model. They're a very nice product and easy to refill. I initially installed mine with just the tape. After about a year, it fell off. Since the shower walls can be of various materials and there is constant steam, I would recommend using more than just the tape.

I know the OP asked about installing with the tape and silicone, but I just used the tape and the two screws. I'm not a big fan of permanently mounting things or drilling holes, but since we knew the unit placement worked well for us (one year of just tape) I decided to screw it on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #13

Carolina Campers
Installing a soap dispenser pump in the shower

I never used any solvent before simply applying the two sided tape and the silicone to the base. I use the Simplehuman three container type (soap, shampoo, conditioner). They have been on the wall since March 2014.

The real trick is to attach the base and let it throughly set/dry as in the instructions, and don't hang the containers with the soap or other stuff on the base until they have set that long. Don't get the base wet until they are set. Also, don't skimp on the silicone. It would be better to have to clean a little off around the base than to scrimp and leave a gap where water can get behind it.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #14

Dutch Star Don, what kind of screws did you use. Rust proof? How did you screw in the thin shower wall?

Tags
install, shower