Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #1

Installing electric brake controller on a diesel pusher with air brakes

We've got a 2001 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage Cat diesel pusher. We want to tow an enclosed bike hauler with electric brakes. Been looking on line for controllers. I'm guessing I've got to bring sense wiring all the way to the front of the coach and pull the high amp circuit off the battery bank. Anybody done this recently? I'm the owner/mechanic on this rig and try to do as much as I can, myself. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

You sure it's not prewired for it? Got a schematic for your coach?

If you have the 7-pin plug already installed from the factory at the hitch, it may be wired and bundled under the dash. Mine was that way.

I just cut of the factory plastic connector and used butt-connectors to connect to my Prodigy P3 electric brake controller.

sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Anything of that vintage most likely is NOT pre-wired. My 2002 Monaco Windsor was not. I did ALL of the wiring myself once I knew what I was dealing with for wires.

I installed a Bargman 7-Way receptacle on the rear of the coach. I had a 6-Way one already for my car. Wiring diagram below.

The 7-Way required a 5 wire to 4 Wire converter like this one.

Trailer Light Converter Unused Converts 5 Wires to 4 Wires | eBay

I then installed the Prodigy P-2 Electric Brake Controller and ran the BLUE hot wire to the rear of the coach from underneath installing it into a flexible plastic wire loom.

I picked up the service brake signal from my Front Run Bay electrical compartment under the drivers window along with the positive and negative wires I needed to power the Prodigy.

The BLUE wire was the only one I had to fish from the front to the rear of the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6-Way & 7-Way Wiring Diagram.pdf (34.9 KB, 264 views)
Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #4

It has a Pollak round connector with the standard 3 live 1 ground for lighting, directionals and brakes. I don't see a harness that would contain 7 pin wiring. I'll check with Winnebago and pull my wiring diagram in the meantime.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Richard,
That's what I think I'm looking at. Thanks for the great info. Love this site!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Wiring schematic are available onlinewww winnebago you need your serial number.Winnebago identifies every individual wire .I believe you will find the harness left side steering column.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you do not find it is pre wired. Prodigy makes a wireless controller. The actual brake controller is at the trailer and then you have a wireless control that activates it which is plugged into dc at your dash. I have no idea how far the unit will reach and whether or not it would work for a MH but you could call prodigy and ask them .
Old 01-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
If you do not find it is pre wired. Prodigy makes a wireless controller. The actual brake controller is at the trailer and then you have a wireless control that activates it which is plugged into dc at your dash. I have no idea how far the unit will reach and whether or not it would work for a MH but you could call prodigy and ask them .
I have one and it work great, love it......
Old 01-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think your description is fairly accurate. I will say this. All the electric brake controllers I know of sense the brake light switch. This may be operated by the engine brake (Exhaust or Jake) on the DP or not depending on the manufacturer.

It is ALWAYS operated by the foot pedal (Air brakes).

Beyond that installation is very straight forward. I'd use at least 10GA wire for the run. Most use smaller.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #10

I just installed the wireless prodigy on my 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. My problem is I don't have the required 12v on the 4 pin to power the unit. Any ideas how to get it there? There is a wire in the 7 pin connector in that position, but it is not hot.
Thanks for any help.