Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
installing inverter on 2000 diesel pusher

Hey Guys I am looking for some info on how to install an inverter on my RV. If any one could help me, I would really appreciate it. e.g what size inverter would I need etc..Thanks Len Ross
lenross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ross, what kind of electrial service do you have coming into the MH and how much about wiring do you know. Probably a 2000W would be plenty for depending on what you're going to run off of it. For the few extra bucks be sure and get a True Sine Wave (TSWj) inverter as opposed to the Modified Sine Wave (MSW). Do you need one with a charger built in or do you already have a charger?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach has an inverter installed by the previous owner. It is installed in the storage compartment next to the electric bay along with an additional pair of six volt batteries (wired in parallel with the standard pair located under the steps). The output of the inverter is wired to a 30amp receptical mounted in the partition wall between the electric bay. The inverter has a remote on/off switch wall mounted inside the coach (not all inverters have this feature).

To power the coach via the inverter one simply plugs the power cord of the coach into the receptical.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
My coach has an inverter installed by the previous owner. It is installed in the storage compartment next to the electric bay along with an additional pair of six volt batteries (wired in parallel with the standard pair located under the steps). The output of the inverter is wired to a 30amp receptical mounted in the partition wall between the electric bay. The inverter has a remote on/off switch wall mounted inside the coach (not all inverters have this feature).

To power the coach via the inverter one simply plugs the power cord of the coach into the receptical.
The previous owner should have installed an automatic switch, then you don't need to do a thing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

First thing we need to know is what kind of MH you have. Then we need to know what kind of electrical service you have, ie transfer switch, etc.

Being a 2000 DP coach, you might already have some kind of inverter already installed.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport. The supply is 120 240 volt, 3 pole 4 wire 60 hertz 50 amp service. I am not exactly Electrical minded. So I was wondering if I could get written info on doing it from anywhere? Thanks.
lenross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When installing an inverter there are several things you need to decide.

First,, True sine wave or MSW.. I will tell you True Sine Wave (or Pure Sine wave as they are also called) works and works well, Now there are things my 2,000 watt TSW inverter can not power.. They all need more than 2,000 watts. That is the only limit.

WIth an MSW inverter there is a long list of things that may not work well.. This list includes night lights, electric blankets, coffee pots, microwaves, radios, televisions, satellite receivers, and a host of other things many do not need much power. Note the key word or phrase in this paragraph is MAY NOT, means they might or might not, you pay your money, you take your chances.. Kind of like Las Vegas.

Next you need to decide: What do I want to power with the inverter? There are 4 common levels.

1: Televisions, radios etc: These are fairly low power so the smallest TSW you can get (usually a 300 watt) may well be all you need, (Add up the loads, 300-700 watt shold do it).

Add in the GFCI outlets (Electric razor works better, or cell phone chargers and laptop.

Now there we have an issue. Since this circuit includes bathrroms you really need a full 15 amp capability. (Hair dryer) but you only need that on occasion. The other items I listed are basically all very low power.

Add the microwavfe, over 1,000 watts. In this case I would suggest at least a 2,000 watt inverter, minimum would be 1500 but 2,000 is about the same price and will work better (larger is better to a point)

WHOLE HOUSE, 3,000 to 5,000 watts, and I seriously do NOT recommend this.

Next inverters come in two more "Two types" Pass through or inline (Same thing) and stand alone.

A pass through or inline is nice, basically it is a UPS. in fact a UPS is a sub set of this type of inverter.

Here is how it is wired

Shore/Generator---Main breaker box--30 amp branch---Inverter---Sub panel--Loads

In the sub I have 3 15 amp breakers,, TVs and Radio, Microwave, and GFCI chain.

This type of inverter, if shore/generator power is live, passes power to the loads, and charges the batteries.. Should shore/generator fail. it switches in and powers the loads off said batteries.. Just like a UPS.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The previous owner should have installed an automatic switch, then you don't need to do a thing.
Our previous coach had a switch. But not having one has not been a big problem. The current setup just requires plugging in the coach to the recept when boondocking, and unplugging when done.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #9

To many variables. What do you want to power? Will you need more battery capacity to do this, more batteries. There are simple inverters that are connected to 12v and have an electrical plug for the output. There are more featured inverters that are connected to 12v to invert and 120vAC. Loads are always connected and the 120vAC is passed through to the loads, When you don't have AC you turn the inverter on to power the loads. There are inverters that invert and charge the batteries. There are sign wave inverters, modified sign wave inverters and pulse wave modulated inverters, each has its place.
Do a little reading to see what you need to get to do what you want.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Our previous coach had a switch. But not having one has not been a big problem. The current setup just requires plugging in the coach to the recept when boondocking, and unplugging when done.
So you don't start the generator while moving? In order to switch the plugs around you'll need to stop, get out, open the compartment, switch the plug, close the compartment, get in and start out again. The last time I had to fool around with switching plugs around was our '98 Santara.
I'd much rather have the auto switch over.

We have four Interstate U-2200 batteries and a 2000 watt inverter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So you don't start the generator while moving? In order to switch the plugs around you'll need to stop, get out, open the compartment, switch the plug, close the compartment, get in and start out again. The last time I had to fool around with switching plugs around was our '98 Santara.
I'd much rather have the auto switch over.

We have four Interstate U-2200 batteries and a 2000 watt inverter.
Their is a automatic switch standard with the coach: shore <--> genny
The inverter is the add-on. When plugged into the inverter it's like the coach is plugged into shore power - but it's not. So starting the genny automatically switches to the genny.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #12

Not all modified sine wave (msw) inverters are equal. Some are closer to true sine wave than are some others. Some also have a better surge rating. My inverter is an Aims PWRINV1250W. It is rated 1250 watt continuous, 3100 watt surge.

My Magic Chef MCD990ARB microwave works just fine on it. Some others have been unable to run the same microwave with a msw.

Mostly, anything that uses a heater will work just fine on msw. However, some heating type devices may still rely on electronic controls that could be sensitive to waveform. Simple (dumb) coffee makers will always work. Smart ones may not. The one device that does turn out to be a problem is the common electric blanket, which won't work at all. Old blankets with analog controls work fine, but they are very hard to find. I finally discovered the Soft Heat blanket that has a power supply and runs on 18V d.c. It works and is also the best electric blanket that I have ever owned. I got one for the S&B house too.

One other thing that gave me a problem with the inverter was the remote on/off switch. I needed a long wire run and the resistance in the (mfgr. intended) telephone cable turned out to be too much for it. I changed to 16 AWG cable and now it works.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, inverter