RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Installing new, Wireless Toad Lights

I just purchased a set of wireless lights, for my "toad". Bought them online, from "etrailer" to replace the 9 year old, system installed by Camping World. The old lights quit working, awhile ago.

My problem, is that the round, 4 contact, socket is totally dead. I tested the wires for the brake, turning signals and the running lights. All are dead, although the equipment on my MH, works fine - no bad fuses. I then decided to call Lazy Days (here in Tampa), as well as Camping world and a mobile RV service company and pay them to do it. All, are booked up, for about 2 months!

So, any advice for me, other than running a new wire, from the brake light, tail light, etc? Are there any fuses, specifically, for the Hitch/Lighting? The existing wires, running back into the MH, are into a "speggetti bowl"!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might have one or two fuse boxes in the rear, or next to rear, passenger side basement. I do, and there are fuses for the light connector in there. Mine is a Revolution, and is on a Spartan chassis, but maybe yours is the same. The fuse boxes are about 6 inches square, and black, so hard to see.
Spartan told me that they supply the fuse boxes on a loom, and leave the coachmaker to mount them somewhere. They also said the loom was not long enough to put the fuse boxes too far away from that spot.
You might also call Fleetwood. They have been very helpful to me with answers like you need.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
You might have one or two fuse boxes in the rear, or next to rear, passenger side basement. I do, and there are fuses for the light connector in there. Mine is a Revolution, and is on a Spartan chassis, but maybe yours is the same. The fuse boxes are about 6 inches square, and black, so hard to see.
Spartan told me that they supply the fuse boxes on a loom, and leave the coachmaker to mount them somewhere. They also said the loom was not long enough to put the fuse boxes too far away from that spot.
You might also call Fleetwood. They have been very helpful to me with answers like you need.
krivanj is on to something. On my bus, there are separate fuses for the trailer hitch located in the shore power bay. They are in a separate box and labeled for each fuse. My guess is the fuses for the hitch are all blow. Give that a try.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:00 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, I do have some extra fuse boxes, in my shore power bay. I have replaced a slide out fuse there, when a slide wouldn't work. So thank you both. I will check that area more thoroughly, today or tomorrow. I will also look in my other bays, behind the passenger seat, as suggested. I'll let ya'll know if I find any.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since I was on last, I have been doing a lot of searching for the fuses, that control the lighting, for towing. I did find a group of what appears to be trailer light hookups. I found them in my spare tire storage area, behind the right, rear wheels. However, nothing was labeled and everything, is painted black, so you can't tell what wiring is what. I would have to pull each, flat, 4 & 5 wire, trailer-like plugs loose (there are about 14) and do some testing. I felt that I would do more damage that good, so I didn't mess with them. I will leave that to Lazy Days, if I can get an appt.

So, I decided to run a new wire, from each light, such as the brake light, running light and the turning signals, to the rear of the RV, at the hitch. All was well, until I tried to connect the given 7 pin & 4 pin trailer hookup and see if the wireless lights work. So, running light, ok. brake light, ok. turning signal, ok, for a couple of seconds, then it tripped out, never to work again. Also, my brake lights tripped out???

So, I went to the fusebox, under the dash. The brake light fuse and the left blinker was blown. So I put new fuses in, and the brake light tripped again, after mashing the pedal. The left blinker still has a good fuse, but the lights don't come on and blink! I put another brake light fuse in, but now the fuse has no incoming power!

So, fellas, that's where I am at this point! Next week I'm taking it to Lazy Days (if I can get an appt.) and let them figure it out. All I have have to do now, is figure how to get the RV the shop, 25 miles away, without any brakelights!
Old 02-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just to update my initial post, I now, have working lights on my toad

However, I was unable to make the wireless lights work! I had to return the lights, for a refund. Then, I re-wired the previous wiring, that had corroded and quit working. I bought a new wiring harness for the RV/toad connection. But, I still, could not get the toad lights to operate properly. So, I got an appt. with CampingWorld, in Holiday, FL, for last Monday. They found out that my toad, had a problem, of the tail, stop and turn lights. They were wired wrong, when a bodyshop did some repairs on the left rear fender & light.

Now the toad lights all work great and I am a "happy camper"!

Tags
install, light, lights, toad