Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Installing vent covers

I have a new Tiffin Allegro 36LA, I've tried to install roof covers over the vents but the lids open too far hitting the cover I'm trying to install. Does anyone know if the vent lids can be adjusted so they don't open so far? Thanks, Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #2

I have 3 covers and just open the lids till they hit the cover and don't go any further. Never had a problem.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I have 3 covers and just open the lids till they hit the cover and don't go any further. Never had a problem.
Same with ours.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Pigman, does your '13 have the electric powered vents? On ours there's no way that I know of to limit the amount the vent raises. You just push the button once and they open all the way. I would be interested in finding an adjustment or stop for the same reason as the OP. The manual vents on our old Itasca were no problem just to crank them up till they stopped.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #5

I recently did a repair on one of my Fantastic and the rep said they had covers that would allow the vent to be opened all the way. She recommended Amazon to find them for the best price. They don't sell direct.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:

mick14020
Or buy covers that will allow your roof vents to open fully.
Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail Vent Covers
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

We have electric powered vents (fantastic fan) that you open by how long you hold button down. Just release when it hits cover. Works for us. Never heard of all or nothing vent, but there's a lot I don't know.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
We have electric powered vents (fantastic fan) that you open by how long you hold button down. Just release when it hits cover. Works for us. Never heard of all or nothing vent, but there's a lot I don't know.
There are 2 on my coach. The bath room is a wall switch that starts the opening and when far enough starts the fan. The other is in the hall and is on a thermostat. Neither have limits of opening that are operator controlled that I know of.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have three covers and I've painted them silver/grey to match the color of my coach. I have to repaint about every two years but everything matches on the roof.

I hand crank all the vent covers but it sounds like some vents all either closed or opened all the way. Poor design...how would you keep those cracked just a bit in case of rain?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #10

Sounds like you've already bought the parts. I only mention that because I did put vent covers on my Excursion and it was a pain in the butt. Basically had to disassemble the fantastic fans to do the install. I just don't think I'm going to bother on my Discovery. The vent caps open wide enough to use the fans without being fully openend so I'm not so worried about rain issues. Especially in my case where here in Florida I have the AC going most of the year and only use the fan in the bathroom when we use the shower.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I recently did a repair on one of my Fantastic and the rep said they had covers that would allow the vent to be opened all the way. She recommended Amazon to find them for the best price. They don't sell direct.
Yea, when we traded our Phaeton with the MaxxAir covers for our Bus, we asked about keeping our MaxxAirs. We were also told about the Fantasic covers, which we bought and had installed at purchase. The Fantastic covers have the same problem in that they also do NOT allow enough room for their own vent lids to fully open . If I would have known that ahead of time, I would have stayed with the MaxxAirs, because I believe that they are of a better design. As far as the original question, our Spyder system controls our covers, and either all the way open or all the way closed as well, no in-between. What happens is that the vent lid will hit the cover when opening, 'and "max out" and stop at that point. Yes, you have to do this each time the vent is opened, but supposedly, the motors are designed to max out rather than cause damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have three covers and I've painted them silver/grey to match the color of my coach. I have to repaint about every two years but everything matches on the roof.

I hand crank all the vent covers but it sounds like some vents all either closed or opened all the way. Poor design...how would you keep those cracked just a bit in case of rain?
That's the purpose of the covers in the first place.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #12

My vent covers do not open automatically unless the thermostat setting is set so it activates the fan. Don't know if they've changed the fan, but I'd play around with the temp knob and see if you can get the fan to operate and open/close with the wall switches.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
My vent covers do not open automatically unless the thermostat setting is set so it activates the fan. Don't know if they've changed the fan, but I'd play around with the temp knob and see if you can get the fan to operate and open/close with the wall switches.
Ours do open with the wall switches. They use the Spyder control system that has two push buttons; one to open the vent lid and another to turn the fan on. Two of the vents also have the thermostat control. Opening them under a cover is the problem, they open all the way without stopping. We (the OP and I) were interested in seeing if there was some type of adjustment. Someone said they just let the motors stall out when the vent lid hits the cover, so that might be an idea as long as it doesn't harm the lift system.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I can pull down on the crank knob and disengage the motor drive and manually set the cover where I want. But I think the rain sensor is also disabled by doing that.

Tags
vent, install