Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Installing vinyl plank on a flush slide

We have a 2002 Fleetwood Southwind 37U.

We are replacing flooring in the coach and wife has decided on vinyl plank flooring. I have read quite a few threads on replacing floors but have not found specific discussions regarding how to hand the transitions from slide to main floor when the slide is flush versus raised.

The current floor is laminate in the kitchen and carpet everywhere else with a flap of carpet overlapping the seam between the slide and the main floor. Any ideas on how to handle that with the plank flooring would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
What is on the floor now? Does the slide when extended fit flush or is it raised? These are things that we need to know in order to help you.
Mel

Old 01-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed he vinyl planks on my RV. The owner before me put self stick square flooring and it looked good when we bought my RV but after awhile in use they came off. The reason I am saying this is because he didn't review the carpet under the slide. And it started to come out with the slide. After 3 years I almost got it removed piece by piece. Now to the planks. Once you remove the carpet you will see a ride block under the slide about 5 inches under the slide. You have got to add a little bit more height to it so you won't ride on the new tile. The planks has self sticking edges on them so once you put them together you start under the slide and work out. As you will see they are heavy and they will stay down just make sure you cut out the area around the ride block. I installed trim molding around the edges in the open areas I could get to.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Installing vinyl plank on a flush slide

Here's some pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452998641.715586.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	116660
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452998657.565149.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	116661

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452998723.201072.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	116664

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452998749.062983.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	116665

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452998773.397974.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	116666

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452998787.364299.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	116667
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452998677.997394.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	116662   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452998692.313065.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	116663  

Old 01-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

To clarify my original description: the kitchen currently has laminate which is all part of the main floor of the coach. The rest of the RV has carpet. So the living room is carpet on both the main floor and the slide. What I meant by flush slide is that the slide sits flush with the main floor when extended. The carpet on the slide is cut larger than the slide so that there is about 5 inches of flap that covers the seam between the slide and the main floor when extended.

The main thing I'm thinking through is how that transition between the slide and main floor will be handled with the plank flooring.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

Johndale,

thanks for the pictures and the note about the block. It looks like your slide contains a couch and chair. Is that right (I can't see the rear end of your slide in any of the pictures?) It looks like the interior edge of your slide is basically a vertical plane which I assume overlaps the outside edge of the main floor. My slide has a couch and a dinette. The steel edge of the slide out sits about 3 inches in front of the couch with the carpet extending an additional 5 inches or so. The dinette is all floor with a bolted down table and free standing dining room chairs. See pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160117_090723[1].jpg
Views:	152
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	116692   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160117_090735[1].jpg
Views:	107
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	116693  

Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the details of how that slide is built. Mine has a lip screwed to the edge of the slide that would support planks or tiles, but others may not. And even with a lip, you still have to deal with the edge of the vinyl somehow, especially if it is a "floating" floor (not glued down). A floating installation requires an edge molding to hold it in place, so it will no longer be totally flush. You can, however, glue down most types of vinyl flooring. Instructions for adhesive will usually be found in the manufacturers online documentation, but often not in the retail box instructions.

If your slide doesn't have a lip, or the lip is flimsy, consider adding a layer of plywood that extends out a bit, then the vinyl over that. Of course, the floor is no longer flush - it will be a little higher (by the thickness of the plywood). And you still need a molding for the edge, e.g. a bull nose or outside corner molding.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaho View Post
Johndale,

thanks for the pictures and the note about the block. It looks like your slide contains a couch and chair. Is that right (I can't see the rear end of your slide in any of the pictures?) It looks like the interior edge of your slide is basically a vertical plane which I assume overlaps the outside edge of the main floor. My slide has a couch and a dinette. The steel edge of the slide out sits about 3 inches in front of the couch with the carpet extending an additional 5 inches or so. The dinette is all floor with a bolted down table and free standing dining room chairs. See pictures below.

Mine has a dinette set and couch. When the slide is out I have about 3/4 of an inch between slide floor and RV floor. I had everything removed to do the floors with the help of my grandsons.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

Gary,

Do you mean the inside edge of the slide? Mine has a metal frame piece that is flat and flush to the level of the main coach floor. If you look close at the pic of the front of my couch above, the black in that pic is the metal frame. We were thinking of gluing the planks and I was just thinking today that I could setup the layout by gluing a row of planks so the edge of the planks matched that edge of the slide. Then start the first row on the main floor. Those two rows, one on the slide and one on the main floor would be glued to the floor but not to each other. There would be a seam between, but I'm thinking it would be nearly indistinguishable from the glued seams between the rest of the plank rows.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
when I install hard surface on slides I always add a piece of plywood extending the edge to cover the ramp where the rollers travel on. You can get stair nose vinyl or wood to make the edge look professional.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think this is what your talking about, just with engineered tho
New flooring in our Bounder
Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #12

floating plank question

I am planning on doing the same job. Do we need to remove the linoleum in the kitchen area first? Will the floating planks cover that joint without flexing if we leave it?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #13

Frutza,

That is a beautiful job! That is the look I'm hoping for. I can see a transition piece running along the edge of your slide in front of the recliners. Does the main floor just butt right up to that or is it actually under the edge of the slide?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

If the plank is thin enough so you don't keep kicking up that edge with your feet, I see no reason why your glue idea wouldn't work. Just trim the exposed edge to remove the interlocking piece (or the glue strip, if that's the type of plank) so that you have a nice clean edge there. And probably trim the other side as well to get a nice clean butt joint. But why not interlock that edge instead?

You can also use a transition or "reducer" molding to finish that exposed edge. There are many sizes and types, but here are some examples
Shop Floor Transition Strips at Lowes.com!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, slide