Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Insulated Water Service - Does it work?

We have a new 2015 Itasca Sunstar 26HE. The water service compartment is factory insulated with foil/styrofoam board all around, and the furnace duct to the bedroom passes through it and was 94 degrees on the infrared handheld thermometer when I checked it. Nice design.

But how low a temperature will it protect against when the furnace is on and toasty, I wonder?

Anyone have any experience cold weather camping in a Winnebago who can share your experience of how well it works?

Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A lot of variables influence low temperature tolerance. Wind, direction you're parked, etc. Best idea is to place a remote wireless thermometer in the wet bay and monitor from inside. If temps start to get near freezing, add an incandescent light bulb or two in the compartment to add heat.

Some folks try to heat the RV interior with small electric heaters to save propane. Problem is, then the furnace doesn't blow heat into the wet bay.

In extreme low temperatures, you might have to leave a cabinet or closet door open to prevent chilling of water lines through those spaces.

Just a few things to keep in mind if you do cold weather RVing!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Best idea is to place a remote wireless thermometer in the wet bay and monitor from inside. If temps start to get near freezing, add an incandescent light bulb or two in the compartment to add heat.
Great suggestion. Very practical. Thanks!
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Insulated Water Service - Does it work?

No experience with your Winn/Itasca, but Heat loss is a function of temp differential and mass differential, so If you have a 94* duct through an insulated bay I think you'll be good. The bay only needs to be consistently above 32. Just keep an eye on it for a while to see how it does.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been in my allegro bus when the temp was -7 degrees outside. I have an indoor outdoor thermometer with the transmitter inside the wet bay area for monitoring. I went to walmart when they started getting electric heaters in. I bought the smallest sized electric heater with switch controls versus something digital ( If you lose power you have to reset the digital when power comes back on. Mechanical switches do not have to be reset)
I set the thermostat on the heater at its lowest setting and it keeps that area about 45 degrees down to -7 outside. I run an extension cord outside besides the septic hose and hook the extension cord into the 20 amp receptacle on the power pedestal. I also have a heated water hose which I hook to the same 20 amp receptacle. I have done this two winters now and the -7 was the coldest but minus temps and below freezing both winters. I have not had any water problems doing this.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

service, water