Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

Insurance

I have searched all threads but not sure what is the best MH insurance for us. We are less than part time MH campers. We have Safeco, I believe we are paying too much for being parked most of the time.
Looking for insurance for less that 3 months at a time. So, anyone out there paying for insurance for this duration and wouldn't mind recommending a company or broker?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
WELL I pay $856.00 a year they won't break it down and consider everyone as full time. that is for 100,000.00/300,000.00 full coverage, Full glass, towing and road side assistance (which I needed a month after getting the rig) and they were wonderful. The tow company had to drive 99 miles one way to get to us then another 70 miles to a RV dealer close to where were going it was 11:45 on a Sunday night also all we did was make the call and they did everything else including a few calls to us making sure we were alright as we were waiting on the side of the road (or 2 lane Highway). Very happy.
Our MH is a 1982 31 foot Pace Arrow near perfect condition. They wanted pictures of the inside and outside before they would issue Full coverage but they did. Maybe I am paying to much I don't know but I have peace of mind.
, Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GMAC has a program where you can start and stop coverage while you are not using your RV. I know nothing about it, I have just seen it advertised.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

insurance

Spritz what company are you insured with I,m paying a lot more than that with Progressive

Jim
Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #5

My company, (Foremost via my Farmers Agent) essentially had me pick a value to insure. Seemed kinda odd, but in essence it is an up front agreed upon value that can be less the NADA. I pay about $900 for $75K in coverage.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #6

Just got my policy renewal for a 2003 National Seabreeze, 35', 2 slides, Ford V10, 48000 mi. I have $100,000/$300,00 with $500 deductible. Policy is $500 a year through Progressive. From my experience you need to really shop around for the best price. Good luck!
Steve
Old 08-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Looking for insurance for less that 3 months at a time.
Just a thought for you. Person who stored their big travel trailer next to our motorhome (commercial storage lot) would buy insurance in the spring, then cancel when he was through traveling for the season. While stored last year (without insurance) the trailer somehow started rolling downhill and sideswiped a motorhome, 3 cars, and went through a security fence. Of course with no insurance he was liable for all the damage, plus he was out of pocket for repairs to his rv. I personally would not want to be without insurance part of the year.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog74 View Post
I have searched all threads but not sure what is the best MH insurance for us. We are less than part time MH campers. We have Safeco, I believe we are paying too much for being parked most of the time.
Looking for insurance for less that 3 months at a time. So, anyone out there paying for insurance for this duration and wouldn't mind recommending a company or broker?

Thanks
We have Geico and pay $360 annually. $1000 deductibles 250/500/150 comp and collision. We do have a multi line discount with high FICO and no points.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
My company, (Foremost via my Farmers Agent) essentially had me pick a value to insure. Seemed kinda odd, but in essence it is an up front agreed upon value that can be less the NADA. I pay about $900 for $75K in coverage.

Chris

Wow, Same Ins company here . My value is $4500.00 and I pay 856.00 250.00 deductible
Old 08-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog74 View Post

Thanks
When I bought my Allegro Bus my isurance agent tried to talk me into Progressive. I pointed out that I had to have safeco because of my safeco umbrella policy. When she looked up safeco it was half of what progressive wanted.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
GMAC has a program where you can start and stop coverage while you are not using your RV. I know nothing about it, I have just seen it advertised.
It's called de-insure.

"De-insurance is a method of temporarily not maintaining the required insurance on the vehicle until it is ready to be driven or placed on the road again."

I did that every year with my 5er and am going to do it with my MH next off-season. Call your agent or the company you are thinking about insuring with. In AZ, you can do it online.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

Again, a wealth of information provided to all of us, I thank you for the information. It is very helpful in many ways!!!
I love this forum!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #13

Insurance

Thanks to all,
We plan on checking out all of the recommendations and choose the best option.

Thanks,
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hmmm no insurance or de-graded insurance. what happens if you know it burns to the ground or your roof caves in because of the big snow storm of the century hits or a hail storm ( we just had one had now have lots of little dings on my metal roof)???
I for one think its a bad idea but JMO

Tags
insurance