Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #1

I'm sure this has been asked many times before please excuse my ignorance. I will be picking up my new user motor home this Friday. I have my cars and home insured with State Farm. Would I be better off staying with them or going with a company that specializes in rv insurance like for example good Sam? Thank in advance

Johnkmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
In this day and age I say "Research " it might save you $$$ that you can put right back in the gas tank ! Enjoy the new RV too !

TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First check to see if State Farm offers an RV-specific policy - it is not just a big expensive car and requires insurance that combines home owners coverage with vehicle coverage. Then shop around other insurers and agencies - chances are there will be other insurers who provide same or more coverage for less money.

I'm using National Interstate thru Explorer RV agency, but other have found good coverage and rates with Progressive, Farm Bureau, Geico, etc. There are no absolutes - you have to shop to see what offers the best combination of rates and coverages for you.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
I have State Farm for everything except my motorhome. I went with Blue Sky. two reasons, they offer full replacement cost in case of total loss and a diminishing deductible. Otherwise, it would have been easier to have everything with one carrier. State Farm does surcharge my umbrella liability policy due to not having primary coverage on the MH.
Try to live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Winepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
check with state farm and other companies. I have a policy on my RV through Safeco as well as my home and cars. They were a lot cheaper than the next nearest coverage rates.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Try Farm & City Insurance Services at RV Insurance | FCIS Insurance
They are a broker for motor coach insurance. I've been with them since 2005. Buy or not, by giving them a call, you will know what questions to ask of the other companies.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
State Farm coverage will be fine, unless you want full replacement cost coverage. Most of your personal property will be covered by your home owners policy, even when it is in the motorhome (you should confirm with your agent).

When we went full time I was forced to switch from State Farm, for whom I'd worked for over 30 years, to pick up the replacement cost, personal items and personal liability coverage offered by a "full timer" policy. If you still own a home your situation is more "normal" and other than the full replacement cost, you have other policies to provide the other coverage.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
I have all my cars with State Farm so I went with them on my MH. My MH is older and I get all kind of offers from other insurance companies saying they are better than State Farm. I hope I will never find out.
2008 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser
Wisdom is not a product of schooling, but of a lifelong attempt to acquire it.
Modela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #9

Progressive is who I have mine through. My first MH so Im not sure if this is good or bad. I did get replacement cost.
40 foot..1998 american dream.
were on the road
speedman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Good Sam insures through GMAC insurance now known as National General. One advantage is that if you are not using your RV for 30 days or more you can put the insurance into "storage" mode and all of the on-road parts of the policy are suspended - property damage, liability, etc. The comprehensive fire & theft are maintained. They send you a rebate check for the time that you are off the road. This can amount to a fair number of dollars depending on how much of the year you are driving.
BluBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
I had GMAC for a year and they paid a large claim with no problem, but second year premium was not good. I now have MH with SAFECO along with home and other vehicles. Shop and know the bargain on first year may not be bargain in second year, you can go shopping again second year if need.
competitive shooter RVer
2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7 8411 400HP Cum.
RM Sterling/'07 Chevy Colorado CrewCab 4x4
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Johnkmueller View Post
I'm sure this has been asked many times before please excuse my ignorance. I will be picking up my new user motor home this Friday. I have my cars and home insured with State Farm. Would I be better off staying with them or going with a company that specializes in rv insurance like for example good Sam? Thank in advance

Guymaster here. State Farm told me they do not insure full time rv's. Progressive was way over priced. Best deal I got was National Interstate. It pays to shop around and in Jan of 14 I will be looking again
guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Have been with State Farm since to mid 1960's. We currently have our SB, toys, daily vehicles, business vehicle and the MH with State Farm. We have looked at other companies but none of them come close for the entire package that we have. It does pay to shop around and ask the 'hard' questions.

2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote