Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2014, 04:01 AM   #1

Wink Insurance

We purchased a new motor home an our insurance with our local company has gone thru the roof. Any one have any advice were to check into getting reasonable insurance.

Thanks Lisa
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours is through allied and is 687 a year. Our vehicles are on a different policy and are 1167 a year. When we were with GMAC insurance they kept going up to over 3200 a year for no reason.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This discussion always gets a lot of response.. You can do a search for "light" reading. I went with Geico to get all vehicles and the house with one company.. I pay $110 per month for two cars, the MH & emergency roadside..I Can't say how well they pay on claims..
Old 07-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Question has been asked very often in different threads.

We chose Blue Sky in Florida. Plus your local company might not offer FT insurance if that is ever in the cards for you.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #5

"usually" MH insurance costs waay less than comparable coverage on a car because of the lower useage (exposure) and low accident rates. I think you should shop around and check National General Ins. Co (formerly GMAC and promoted by FMCA), and Progressive, in addition to the "regular" carriers such as State Farm and Allstate.

One thing to be aware of is the opportunity to buy full replacement or agreed value coverage, so you won't get dinged by depreciated value policy, which will likely leave you holding the bag (upside down) if you total a relatively new coach.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
x2 for Allied. If you are an FMCA member, you also get a discount from Allied. That is new and when I called prior to my last renewal they lowered my bill. Not sure what type coach you have, so hard to tell what would be reasonable.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The cost depends on several factors that include the state you are insuring in, your driving record, anyone else that will be in the coach that is also of a driving age, maybe also your credit record, if you are financing it, etc.

We were insured in MI, when we moved to CA all we did was change the state, everything else was the same and our full time insurance dropped to just under half what it was in MI. The insurance on the bike went up double, more riding days in CA compared to MI is the reason we were told. We have Progressive for all 3 or our vehicles. The only claim so far has been for a deer that ran a stop sign and hit Thom on the bike, they paid for everything and very fast and professionally.

Unfortunately you are gonna have to call around and talk to all the companies you can think of. Make sure you are asking for close to the same policy stuff for all the companies that you do call so that you can compare apples to apples. By the way whether you need full timers or not seems to depend on how many days you will spend in the coach, it does not necessarily mean that you are in it 365 days a year. Ask what their definition of full time is. I know when we went from "part time" to full time the cost dropped about $20, yep only $20 difference in full or part time.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

We use the Hartford thru AARP. If your an AARP member you might check this out.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We had insurance for our used class A with Foremost thru our local Farmers agent, It was $730 per year. It just came due o I had a look around and ended up switching to Progressive for $454 per year. I have never filed a claim with either company so I can't say which will be good to work with but I will probably switch my car insurance away from the current company this year as well. Just haven't made up my mind to where yet. Insurance seems to be one of the most stressful subjects as we get older. It just keeps on climbing ....
Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
We use the Hartford thru AARP. If your an AARP member you might check this out.
Hartford raised my premium for my auto at renewal 25%. No claims, clean driving record, AARP Driver Safety Course, excellent credit, etc., etc., etc. Goodbye Hartford, hello GEICO.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #11

State Farm here for house, 2 cars and the motorhome. When our last diesel pusher burnt to the ground, State Farm paid quick and easy.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Our AARP Hartford insurance runs $600/year and has stayed there for the last two years. They also have road side assistance at no charge. We use Good Sams for that so we don't know how good it is. We've had a couple comp claims for cracked windows and one deer hit on the DW's Jeep and they were very prompt in the repairs. Just our experience so far.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 2 cars and my motor home on the same policy with GEICO and found it to be fairly reasonable.
coventryhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #14

My policy just renewed with progressive which did not go up I was curious so I got a quote from good SAMs with less coverage for $500 a year more.

Tags
insurance