Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 12:32 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I actually have had occasions where my agent was wrong. I am not saying that the gentlemen that are agents on here are wrong but mine has been before on a pretty big issue.

The only real way to know for sure is to call the Arizona Insurance Commission and ask them which is one of the things you mentioned you were aware of. My son had his car vandalized. The insurance company basically offered him 820.00 to get it fixed but could not find anyone that would do the work. He filed a complaint with the insurance commission. The next phone call he received from the insurance commision the company agreed to pay him 4500.00 for the repair.

I am surprised that a pot home or something like that is not something you can make a claim on. What if you are driving in heavy traffic and do not see the hole until it is too late and there is no where to go to dodge it. To carry the normal hazard of driving argument out to other places. If you fall asleep and run off of the road and hit something that was preventable. When you started getting sleepy you should have stopped. If you hit a patch of ice on the road and slide off into something that should have been preventable you should have seen the ice and slowed down to a stop.

I would file the complaint with the insurance commission and let them investigate it.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #16

Exclamation

yes, there is no Definitive 'always' exact answer to this situation - it's a matter of how your policy is written, how your claims department considers the action, and how far you are willing to push it.

Generally speaking, though, without a 'collision' with another vehicle, or object, it's not an easy battle. Even a deer or animal claim can be handled different depending on whether the deer jumped in your path, collided into you, or you ran over one already dead on the road. The first two, yes. The third, probably not.

If you hit a pothole in the road, no matter whether you saw it in time, you did'nt see it in time, or you couldn't avoid it either way, it would probably never be a claim that any insurance company would pay. We are required to be always in control of our vehicle - staying back far enough from the vehicle in front in order to see road hazards, or from someone stopping suddenly in front of us, driving a safe speed, etc. If insurance companies had to 'pay' every time anyone hit a pothole, ran over a curb, etc, our insurance premiums would be double, at least. Why not have then pay to change our oil and windshield wipers, too? Policies have to be specific in what the do and don't cover, without which we would not be able to have a viable insurance system.

But, it never hurts to ask...

Old 05-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #17

If they (AAA and the dealer) are saying it's a case of wear and tear, they were not properly convinced the damage was a result of the incident you're claiming. My suggestion would be to go over the evidence you've provided. Apparently there is room for them to consider differently than what you have.

As a heads up, the dealership WILL be acting as AAA's first line of defense. If they don't see the connection between the damage you are claiming and an incident like you describe, you're dead in the water right there. As the one that used to handle those type calls at the dealer, I can tell you AAA will not spend the time or resources to send an adjuster to look at your coach, especially if there is no estimate available. Actually, that's the first question. "Do you have an estimate?" Assuming it's a total isn't going to fly. Like most other things, documentation WILL be required. Doesn't need to be complete - just enough to document the fact the coach is beyond repair from an economic standpoint.

To be blunt, this is an older coach, and some of the things you are claiming do sound like they might be a bit of a stretch. Like the step. If there's no "road rash" apparent on it, I'm not sure I'd push that issue. Same on the jacks. If whatever is allowing them to leak down (like a pinched or cut hose) can't be directly attributed to what happened, they're not likely going feel responsible for that either. Hanging cabinets can be attributable to a long life spent on rough roads or possibly a water intrusion issue. A slide not working properly can be a pretty simple matter of providing some necessary maintenance.

Suggest you speak with the dealer about this. If you feel they aren't in back of you and your claim, call AAA and ask them if you can take it elsewhere and start over again because you're questioning their competence. Provide them with some solid evidence backing your claim - not just pictures of hanging cabinets and a list of stuff that doesn't work. Pictures of components under the front end, like suspension stops that are mutilated/badly damaged or other road rash evidence. That's what it's going to take to prove your case IMHO....

Best of luck.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #18

This got me to thinking so i looked up and read over my policy again. The policy is very specific about what they don't cover but the only thing remotely indicating an exclusion from road damage was to tires themselves. Ours is a basic policy with no optional add ons.

I realize that insurance coverage varies from company to company and state to state. This could be where a difference lies.

First thing i'd do is go over my policy with a fine tooth comb to see if there were, even slight, mention of this particular exclusion. If it was there in black and white, then i'd probably cut my losses. If not, i'd keep fighting with the insurance company. I would also contact my state's insurance commission to see what they might say.

If nothing else, chalk this up to a learning experience. My thinking is that a heavy motorhome won't be quite as forgiving when it hits a hard bump in the road. Myself, i will pull over as quick as i can to survey any damage that might have occurred. If i could, i'd go back and take pictures of the bad spot in the roadway as well as some video if i saw other vehicles hitting hard.

Hope your insurance comes through in the end. While it may be normal for companies to have an exclusion like this, it sure doesn't seem right.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #19

If I were the insurance company I would want proof of where, how and when this "accident" took place. I'm sure a lot of motorhomes crossed that same expansion joint that same day. How many other MH's were damaged that day? That had to be a real depression in the roadway to cause the damage the OP is claiming. How deep was that hole anyway?
The burden of proof will be on the MH operator. With no documentation I think he is out of luck.
Knowing that much damage was apparent he continued to drive the MH 1/2 way across the country? Without contacting the insurance company or getting a damage estimate? I'd be surprised if the insurance company hasn't already thrown this claim into the paper shredder. I'd bet at least one morning this claim was a topic of conversation around the water cooler.
Lynn
Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redxrrider View Post
A police report would do absolutely nothing. I am a retired cop with special training in accident investigation. All a police report would do would be just another piece of paper with my statement on it.
It might help prove you were actually there. There are many scam artists out who will say many things. The more documentation (dash cam video, pictures, police report, witness statement, hospital papers) the better. Maybe even dated before and after pictures could help. One of the first things my insurance company asked me did you file a police report.

It is good that no one was hurt.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

My DP coach has the jacks behind the front axle. As did both my previous gas chassis coaches. Your "jacks in front" configuration was in use for a few years, especially in the 3-point systems, but later was abandoned.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I think the insurance company has a right to deny your claim. How do they know you even damaged your RV on that bridge? I would have at least pulled over after the contact and done a quick damage assessment, taken pictures of the RV as well as the bridge and roadway.
For all the insurance company knows you and some buddies could have gotten liquored up and gone off roading and had a mishap. At least with a Police report you would have some record of where and possibly how the RV got damaged.
The time lapse between the "accident" and your reporting it to the insurance company is going to play against you. I would have been on the phone to the insurance company moments after the incident happened. Most insurance companies have a time limit set to report an accident.
I believe your best bet is to chalk this up to experience, cut your losses and look for another RV. It would probably be cheaper than hiring an attorney who will drain you dry and be able to do nothing for you.
Sorry for your loss.
Lynn
You insurance should cover the off-roading mishap too.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
as an agent, and a full time rv'r, I can feel your pain, and, at the same time, understand maybe where the insurer is coming from in denying your claim.

Most auto/vehicle/motorcycle/motorhome policy read the same way:
"road rash, road surface imperfections, road potholes, etc. 'accidents' are not considered insurable under a policy because they are part of everyday driving hazards that we, as policyholders, are in control of." or similar contract jargon...

For instance, hitting a pothole and ruining your front suspension is not considered an auto insurance policy claimable accident. On the other hand, a rock thrown from the roadway or another vehicle that breaks your windshield IS a claimable accident, because that is 'beyond your driving control'.

In your case, it sounds as if they are denying your claim under the 'pothole' scenerio. No matter what was 'damaged' by this action, nothing may be claimable since it's up to the driver to control their vehicle, drive a safe speed for the road conditions, and generally be aware of road conditions that might cause damage.
Maybe this might be said as 'wear and tear', but not really.

Having said all that, it certainly does not mean that you will be less aggravated by this explanation, but maybe just more understanding of the insurance side of the equation...
or you could go after the city or state DOT who is in charge of the road.
I've not read my entire policy, but this is the first time I've heard anybody claim that "pot hole" damage isn't covered.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #24

Kind of like a collision. You "hit" a pot hole. No different than hitting a tree from where I'm sitting.

You still need to prove the damage you're claiming is due to that incident though...
Old 05-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #25

Got any pictures?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #26

Insurance Advocates.

Insurance Consumer Advocate Network . . . Empowering Consumers Nationwide !
Old 05-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
You insurance should cover the off-roading mishap too.
I didn't say it wouldn't but that isn't what the OP is claiming.
The point I was making is he needs some proof of where, how and when the incident occurred.
Lynn
Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I didn't say it wouldn't but that isn't what the OP is claiming.
The point I was making is he needs some proof of where, how and when the incident occurred.
Lynn
How much proof does he need? He was driving in the United States and hit a bad spot in the road which caused damage to his motorhome. Yes, i know an insurance company will want as much detail as possible but still, this was an accident. Isn't this what auto insurance is supposed to cover? Doesn't sound like the OP was drinking, speeding, racing, purposely trying to wreck his vehicle, or using it for commercial business. Insurance should cover everything past his deductible.

Seriously, i'd sure be looking for another insurance company if i ever found out mine had a "pothole" exclusion in it.

Tags
insurance