Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Insurance costs and recommendations

Going to be picking up a 2007 Monaco Knight 38PDQ September 1st. Starting to call around for full coverage insurance. What do you pay per year and what company. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have had insurance thru Good Sam and AARP and also National General. I went back to AARP even though they cost a little more. Watch out for companies that give you a low rate for the first 6 months to a year and then raise the rates way up above what you were paying before. Good Sam and National general did that to me after the first year. The raised the rate over $200 a year so I went back to AARP which was over $100 cheaper. This happened in Jan 2016. Also the wife and I attended AARP Drivers course and got $175 a year off of our insurance. We have everything insured with AARP Hartford. Most major insurance companies insure RV's now.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

What I and others pay has no relevance as to what you will pay.
Insurance is based on amount of coverage, limits/deductions, your age, where you live, your driving record, your credit report, age of vehicle, value, accident rate etc.

Just way to many variables to compare.

Get with a Ins. Broker and after discussing with them your needs/wants they will get you several same/same quotes

Explorer RV........RV Insurance
Millers.....Miller Insurance Agency
Old 08-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Geico the last two years was good sam with all their add ons to. One claim with Geico over a year ago and no increases and great service.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I moved all my coverage to Hartford AARP 2 years ago and it saved me over $1000 per year. The MH coverage by itself was about $600 less than National General, formerly GMAC.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had State Farm for many years and they have been great. I have had claims with no increase. Emergency road service is only 20.00 per year on the policy. I pay 600.00 per year for my MH. I have checked around since I retired and no one has beaten them. I tried, Good Sam, AARP, (Hartford), Geico, and some independent agents with smaller companies. No less expensive companies.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What I and others pay has no relevance as to what you will pay.
Insurance is based on amount of coverage, limits/deductions, your age, where you live, your driving record, your credit report, age of vehicle, value, accident rate etc.

Just way to many variables to compare.

Get with a Ins. Broker and after discussing with them your needs/wants they will get you several same/same quotes

Explorer RV........RV Insurance
Millers.....Miller Insurance Agency
This is correct. You can't compare others' rates. We used Miller Insurance for the past 20 years, including full-time RVing. They'll shop around for the best rates.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our insurance is with National General, using a local independent agent. I just renewed it today for $874 for a year!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #9

Agree about all the variables that will impact your rate versus someone else's. Even from county to county in a state makes a difference. We have The Hartford through AARP. We had a sizable claim last year, and our rate increase was sizable to go along with it. I will say they were great to work with on the claim. I need some time on my side before I start shopping rates.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Just switched from State Farm to Progressive.
Full replacement value coverage,$2000 deductible,$1 million liability,lots of other perks.
$800/year .
Saved $440 leaving State Farm,same coverage.

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #11

Personally, we have always found the best coverage and rates with the company who insures our home and vehicles. While we have never had a claim on the Motorhomes I like to know I can count on our agent to work with us.

We had State Farm for 20 yrs with no complaints, only reason we left them was they no longer offered an $250.00 deductible on the house. Been with Erie Insurance for 5 yrs with the same rate, hard to beat that. Too bad they are not in all states.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #12

Old Biscuit nailed it.... costs even vary by zip code. What someone else pays will have absolutely no meaning to your issues unless they happen to live next door and have the twin unit and everything else exactly as you have.

Sorry, but you'll have to just do your homework on this one and start making phone calls. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If someone is significantly low make sure they are quoting same coverage as others.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #13

I have Allied and agree it depends on where you live. A friend of mine has a year older coach and also has Allied, but I pay $300 less (I'm just under $800) per year. My home state is SD and his is Michigan. A hail claim I had earlier this year for just under $15k was handled quickly and fairly. Have no complaints with Allied.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SDoran..... You didn't say and nobody asked-- so I will. How are you using the MH? Will you full time? Or are you sometimes campers? It makes a difference, and I'm not talking about price. [just my opinion, but shopping insurance based on price is like shopping for a surgeon based on price.]. Just about any carrier that handles auto insurance can and will insure a MH used for occasional camping and sometime travel. But fulltiming requires specifically structured coverages. Not all carriers do it right, and not all carriers will tell you.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance