Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Insurance for Corporate owned MH

Shopping for insurance for our MH that is being purchased via my company. The second I mention that the unit will be owned by my business, rates rocket. I will never have a client inside the MH, will visit clients while traveling but will always use the toad to do so.

Anyone have a similar situation and any suggestions who might write me a policy without a HUGE increase?

Example: Blue Sky came in at $783.00 per year via the online app process. Called to explain everything and because I will be writing off more than 50% of the MH's use (strange criteria) it shot up to a commercial policy at $2300.00.

Frustrating.

Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

Reelgator
While our coach is not owned by a business, we have friends who do own a coach through their business and we both use Progressive. Call Poliseek PoliSeek AIS Insurance Solutions, Inc. in Cerritos, CA - 90703 - Progressive Agent
Both of us have had unrelated claims and I was very impressed with Progressive's quick service. Friends own truck repair business and love it when they have to deal with Progressive because they pay without the b.s. many other insurance companies throw in. Also, when changing our two cars insurance, I first checked with Poliseek and got a great quote for same coverage. Then went directly to Progressive and got a quote almost exactly like what I was already paying. I can only surmise there is a good bit of profit for independent insurance agencies, and went with Poliseek. Anyway, we really like our Poliseek Progressive policies.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida

Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Reelgator
While our coach is not owned by a business, we have friends who do own a coach through their business and we both use Progressive. Call Poliseek PoliSeek AIS Insurance Solutions, Inc. in Cerritos, CA - 90703 - Progressive Agent
Both of us have had unrelated claims and I was very impressed with Progressive's quick service. Friends own truck repair business and love it when they have to deal with Progressive because they pay without the b.s. many other insurance companies throw in. Also, when changing our two cars insurance, I first checked with Poliseek and got a great quote for same coverage. Then went directly to Progressive and got a quote almost exactly like what I was already paying. I can only surmise there is a good bit of profit for independent insurance agencies, and went with Poliseek. Anyway, we really like our Poliseek Progressive policies.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
I have 4 autos and 2 boats insured with Progressive. I went there first because I assumed I would get a nice discount, for the coach it came in at $2963.00 a year. Highest quote yet. Appreciate the suggestion though.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgator View Post
Shopping for insurance for our MH that is being purchased via my company. The second I mention that the unit will be owned by my business, rates rocket. I will never have a client inside the MH, will visit clients while traveling but will always use the toad to do so.

Anyone have a similar situation and any suggestions who might write me a policy without a HUGE increase?

Example: Blue Sky came in at $783.00 per year via the online app process. Called to explain everything and because I will be writing off more than 50% of the MH's use (strange criteria) it shot up to a commercial policy at $2300.00.

Frustrating.
Unfortunately there are too many variables to compare insurance rates. I am in a similar situation, and the bigger part of the rate increase was due to the amount of miles per year. I average 25K a year, I have full coverage with $500 deductibles, agreed amount of hull coverage of $250K, and I pay $1600 a year from Progressive with vehicle based and registered in NY. I have had 3 claims in 4 years, all glass, 2 windshields and 1 driver side glass with no change in premium. I hope I am not jinxing myself
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Unfortunately there are too many variables to compare insurance rates. I am in a similar situation, and the bigger part of the rate increase was due to the amount of miles per year. I average 25K a year, I have full coverage with $500 deductibles, agreed amount of hull coverage of $250K, and I pay $1600 a year from Progressive with vehicle based and registered in NY. I have had 3 claims in 4 years, all glass, 2 windshields and 1 driver side glass with no change in premium. I hope I am not jinxing myself
When I get quotes I make sure I am getting the exact same coverages as the variables can be miles apart.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

I'm not sure of where you are and what your state laws may be, but we have used a slightly different tact. We will go ahead and insure the vehicle personally and then reimburse all our out of pocket expenses including depreciation back to the vehicle owner. It is a form of an accountable expense plan. You may want to look into that type of a situation. As of now the Section 179 deduction is back to $25,000 so you may be money ahead by using the reimbursement method.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I'm not sure of where you are and what your state laws may be, but we have used a slightly different tact. We will go ahead and insure the vehicle personally and then reimburse all our out of pocket expenses including depreciation back to the vehicle owner. It is a form of an accountable expense plan. You may want to look into that type of a situation. As of now the Section 179 deduction is back to $25,000 so you may be money ahead by using the reimbursement method.
Resident of Florida, Coach housed and registered in Georgia. Just emailed your suggestions to my accountant since this was mainly his idea to start with. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

my situation is just like yours, except i have the toad on my co too. i went with progressive no problem. their rates are superb.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
my situation is just like yours, except i have the toad on my co too. i went with progressive no problem. their rates are superb.
For some reason Progressive wanted an arm and a leg. I grew quite frustrated today and talked to the dealer i am buying the MH from, they gave me a agent to contact. Now I am one happy camper. I got everything I wanted and way more coverage than anyone was quoting. Out the door for $811.00 a year. Anyone looking for a easy company to work with contact these folks:

Hunter Adler
American Adventure Insurance
Direct Line: 805-409-8156

Policy is via Blue Sky, same company that wanted much more $$$$ for less coverage when I contacted them direct.

I have a 35ft 5th Wheel in a RV Resort I switched as well from Good Sam today over to these folks and saved $350.00 a year. They get my boats next.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #10

Reelgator
Did you see my post about Poliseek (independent insurance agency) as well as posts of two others who got great rates from an independent? Get Progressive but do not go directly with Progressive, use Poliseek or some other agency. Also, with our cars we went the Snapshot route. Custom made for retirees, because one of their big deals is the time of day you drive. If you avoid morning and evening rush hour, you are home free.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
Old 05-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgator View Post
For some reason Progressive wanted an arm and a leg. I grew quite frustrated today and talked to the dealer i am buying the MH from, they gave me a agent to contact. Now I am one happy camper. I got everything I wanted and way more coverage than anyone was quoting. Out the door for $811.00 a year. Anyone looking for a easy company to work with contact these folks:

Hunter Adler
American Adventure Insurance
Direct Line: 805-409-8156

Policy is via Blue Sky, same company that wanted much more $$$$ for less coverage when I contacted them direct.

I have a 35ft 5th Wheel in a RV Resort I switched as well from Good Sam today over to these folks and saved $350.00 a year. They get my boats next.
I would also recommend you speak with your current insurance broker/agent to have them include your motorhome policy on your umbrella policy.

In the future I would also have looked at adding the motorhome to your Business Auto policy for Liability purposes only and purchasing the physical damage coverage on an Inland Marine Equipment Floater for Replacement Cost or Agreed Value.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Surely you can see why the big increase in the rate?
If you are in ANY kind of accident with it what do you suppose the difference will be if the owner of the vehicle is Joe Smith Vs Joe Smith INC.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance