Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Insurance for motorhome

My insurance for my American Dream is coming due and my rate from National Interstate has increased by $ 100 + . Any recommended insurance companies with lower rates would be appreciated. There is no reason for an increase on my part.
Thanks
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

I had progressive rv insurance on my last motorhome. Hit a deer and they were great on getting the motorhome fixed. They never haggled or tried to hose me during the whole process. I have Geico now because I needed insurance on my hobby trailer and they do not insure those.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

I would shop around for quotes to compare to your present carrier, but for a $100 increase I wouldn't jump ship unless there is a big difference in price with the same exact coverage.

Warning Progressive will give you a low first year quote and then hit you with increases at renewal, been there done that.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I would shop around for quotes to compare to your present carrier, but for a $100 increase I wouldn't jump ship unless there is a big difference in price with the same exact coverage.

Warning Progressive will give you a low first year quote and then hit you with increases at renewal, been there done that.
I never had that issue and been with them for a few years. In fact, I signed up for the driver monitoring device for a few months and saved even more. I suppose it may depend on where you live also. Insurance is a weird animal. I did have American family and they would raise my rates almost every year.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

I agree we've had Progressive on our Dutch Star Diesel for 3yrs.. Granted the premium's have gone up, but only marginally. I also have the towing option which only added $24 to the policy. That in itself has more than paid for itself since we've needed to be towed twice in 3yrs.. Once while we were in the Yukon we had to be towed 175 miles to White Horse and they never hesitated to set it up for us. Of course we never saw what the bill was, but it certainly wasn't cheap. I'll be staying with Progressive!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #6

Another thing that could be done is to talk to some local body shops. They will tell you what companies are easy to deal with and what are headaches. This to can be a determining factor.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post

My experience was that a bargain can often be found for first year then prem goes up. Have a claim then the prem may really take a jump. I was pleased with GS/GMAC my first year then came big claim, next year prem was increased significately. I now "bundle" with SAFECO. As suggesred.........
shop.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #8

You might try Foremost. It's the RV division of Farmer's Ins Co. So far so good. GEICO low balled me and then every 6 mos they would increase the premium for not reason and no claims.
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple months ago I had the inside rear dual blow out. Cost $1,800 to tow it to Fresno, CA and then $10,400 to repair the damage that was done.

CSAA (AAA in other parts of the country) paid everything less my $50 deductible. They were excellent.

I couldn't tell what my premium is as it's all bundled with house and other insurance. I don't care what it is due to the fact that they came through when needed.

You never know what an insurance company will pay until you have a claim. I found that out the hard way years ago.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #10

We use Nationwide, we have had them for over 10 yrs for our cars and 9 for the house. They added our motorhome for under 80 a month with a 250 deductible. We have shopped around for better pricing for everything and nobody has been able to touch them, Allstate, state farm, geico, AAA, progressive and few others.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman View Post
My insurance for my American Dream is coming due and my rate from National Interstate has increased by $ 100 + . Any recommended insurance companies with lower rates would be appreciated. There is no reason for an increase on my part.
Thanks
This is off topic but...........I see your '99 'Dream has a 350hp Cummins. Is that stock/original? Mine is a '99 also but only a 330hp Cummins. Just wondering??
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman View Post
Thanks
I had National Interstate on my 2004 Itasca for 7-8 years and they did go up a little each year, probably somewhere around $50-$75. But last year they jumped it over $400 with no reason when I contacted my agent. Went to Progressive for over $900 reduction but we'll see what happens with this year's renewal.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had Progressive, no claims, and about three years of reducing deductibles. Had a rock break the windshield of the Jeep. Found a local outfit that would replace it for $154 in my driveway. Called Progressive to find out how much it would cost going through them. They ABSOLUTELY refused to give me any information till I said (as coached) "that I want to file a claim". The quote was almost $400. I told them to cancel the claim (as they said I could). What they didn't say was that I lost the reducing deductible and my rates went up due to the "claim". When I went shopping for other companies Progressive told them that there was a claim on my record of $0 to $1000. They didn't bother to say it was $0. When I found out I contacted the State Insurance Comm., they said it was legal but certainly not ethical.

We now have GMAC.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We had Progressive, no claims, and about three years of reducing deductibles. Had a rock break the windshield of the Jeep. Found a local outfit that would replace it for $154 in my driveway. Called Progressive to find out how much it would cost going through them. They ABSOLUTELY refused to give me any information till I said (as coached) "that I want to file a claim". The quote was almost $400. I told them to cancel the claim (as they said I could). What they didn't say was that I lost the reducing deductible and my rates went up due to the "claim". When I went shopping for other companies Progressive told them that there was a claim on my record of $0 to $1000. They didn't bother to say it was $0. When I found out I contacted the State Insurance Comm., they said it was legal but certainly not ethical.

We now have GMAC.
I had the same thing happen with Allstate many years ago. Asked about filing a claim to see what was covered and decided not to file. Showed up later and they raised my rate.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote