Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
A recent quote from GMAC(not so Good Sam) was $1200 more than progressive, and $1300 more than Nationwide. I just don't see how those who claim GMAC was cheaper received those rates. We are both under 50, no tickets/accidents and have great credit ratings. While I don't like progressives politics, $1200/yr is real money.
I thoroughly despise AARP and am too young to quote them anyways.

Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I would suggest checking with an RV insurance broker such as http://www.gilbertrvinsurance.com/ They deal with several companies and can advise on different coverages.
I have been with them for 12 years. They have switched co 's a few times to get me the best quote.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by mrock View Post
I have not had a claim with them but did a fair amount of due diligence research. Company has been around for a long time. High AIM Best rating; increased my component liability (laptop etc) to $5K for a few dollars. Please let me know what you uncover. Thx
Who is "THEM"????
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #18
Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Blue Sky!
mrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #19
I don't think you want to drop all coverage while in storage. Fire, theft, vandalism, wind . . .
Dcecilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I just got rates for my coach.
My present insurance - Allstate - $1022 (1000 ded.) no RV Vacation Liability
Good Sam - $1387 (500 ded. getting new quote with $1000 ded. S.B lower)
ExplorerRV - $2015
Progressive - $1713

Allstate and Progressive 300K/500K limits
Good Sam and ExplorerRV 250K/500K limits.

Once I get the new quote from Good Sam, it seems pretty obvious who to go with. Even though Allstate might be slightly lower, their quote includes a a discount for multiple policies (MH and car). Once I get the new Good Sam quote with higher ded. and multiple policy discount, it should almost be a wash with the Allstate quote. The Good Sam does include 100K for RV Vacation Liability which Allstate does not include.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dcecilw View Post
I don't think you want to drop all coverage while in storage. Fire, theft, vandalism, wind . . .
After storing the MH last year in our shop, I called AARP Harford and asked them to drop the coverage thinking our homeowners policy would cover it. They also have our homeowners policy. They informed me that all insurance carriers will not cover a vehicle for damage under the homeowners policy if it is a registered, licensed vehicle with the state....any state. They said we had to at least keep the liability insurance on it for the homeowners insurance to pay for damages from wind, fire, etc. Of course, if your paying to have storage somewhere else, I wouldn't drop any of the coverages. They sent me a check for the unused portion of comprehensive and collision and told me to just call them to place them back on the coach when we started using it again.
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Start by getting a quote from your present carrier. Then get several quotes from the RV specialty Co.s. I was amaized at how much less my present carrier was from the other carriers. Not kidding.... my carrier was a third as expensive as the others.
In my case, haveing all my insurance with one, paid off.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
Another vote here for Blue Sky.
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #24
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had Foremost, no claims, no problems. I recently went with Good Sam/allied. After 2 months of having the insurance they sent me a letter saying they were going to cancel my insurance because they did not have a copy of my license. I called them, faxed the copy of my license and they said everything should be ok. 10 days later, on 2/19/13, I get a check back from them stating they are canceling me effective 2/20/13 because they don't have a copy of my license. On 2/19/13, I called my Foremost agent and she set up my policies while we were on the phone. 2 days later the Allied agent called and said they re instated my policy. I told her to forget it. Dang, if its that hard to just get the policy, I wonder what it would be like if I had a claim.
Foremost was $500 a year more than Allied. $1050 for Allied and $1550 for Foremost. I asked how much more for full timing and Foremost said $250 a year.
2013 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD
2014 Jeep Wrangler
Full time in 2013
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a plane through good Sam ( GMAC) they have my custom f150 the jeep wrangler and golf cart and utility trailer along with the new motorhome, I have a $500 deductible and pause $1350 for their full insurance. Had progressive they wanted 1500 and all state would not cover my truck so we said no to them
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #26
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
these guys are rock solid for me 550 a yr https://www.gilbertrvinsurance.com/
97 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 275 Cat powered
fxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
We have Progressive on all 3 vehicles - 4Runner, Harley and MH. When we went full-time we changed it with Progressive and our bill went down $10. Go figure, it was less for full-time thru them then not full-time.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
Progressive $549 year. $1000 deductable. Stated use was 45 days per year.

Bob and Janice Ford
1998 Fleetwood Pace arrow 35'
Bama Fan is offline   Reply With Quote