Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #1

Insurance Info needed

The upcoming summer will be my first summer since i purchased the MH, and hopefully will be making some trips with it. I purchased it last June and only used it for local parks. I presently have insurance with state farm, my house and two cars are insured with them as well as the MH. I am wondering if some of you experienced RV'ers can give me (based on your experience) the questions to ask the agent as well as the company to insure with, and also what coverages i should have. I do not want to find out what i should have had while many miles away from home. I just want to have complete coverage for what ever you say is necessary. I have a 2000 tradewinds, model 7373 unit. Thanks, Rivrduk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Be sure to talk with your SF agent about a $ 1 million umbrella policy that will cover all your stuff. If you are accident free and have been with them a number of years, look long and hard before you make a change. Also be sure to compare apples and apples and not apples and oranges. Decide on your deductibles and liabilities (if you don't go with the umbrella). Also, where you live makes a difference. I could save a few dollars by going to another company but I don't want any surprises after an accident.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Liability, collision and comprehensive (non-collision damage) is pretty much the same as auto insurance. However, Personal Effects coverage for an RV covers a lot more than your clothes and camera, so I suggest making that coverage much larger than the typically $2000-$3000 amount. Anything removably attached to the outside of your RV is considered a "Personal", even the tow bar or a bra. And you have a lot more personal stuff inside as well- clothes, food, sports and electronic gear, computers, etc. It can really add up if there is a major loss.

Full replacement value coverage may be a good idea, but read the fine print carefully. They just don't write you a check for the original purchase price - you have to actually buy another rig at a price the same or greater than the original to collect the full amount. And if you have a large loan, full replacement doesn't pay off the entire load if it exceeds current market value. For that, you want what is called "gap" insurance - the difference between the load and fair market value. Not all insurers have that, but sometimes the lendor offers it.

I would skip the insurers towing coverage in favor of a Roadside Assist package from Coach-Net or Good Sam. much more comprehensive (but also more expensive)
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rivrduk,
In addition to what has been posted, consider contacting an Insurance Broker who specializes in motor coach insurance. They advertise in the motor coach magazines (FMCA, MotorHome, etc.) Farm & City is a good example. Their contact number is 800-331-1520. They can take you through all the items you should consider. After all it is their job to sell you insurance. The advantage of a broker is they will look at many companies to find the best rate for the coverage you have selected.

The result of you contacting a broker is the topics you should be considering will be mentioned. That will answer the question posed in the OP.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our $800 per year includes everything Gary B mentioned in his post plus Coach-Net road service. I can't tell you if that is a good deal or not. We are taged & titled in FL and use National Interstate.

Dave
Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #6

If you are old enough to qualify for AARP check out the AARP/Hartford auto and MH insurance. We decided to take it and had purchased a Coachnet membership. The Hartford insurance came with a comparable roadside assistance package that was comparable to Coachnet except for the concierge items. We got a darn good deal.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
If you are old enough to qualify for AARP check out the AARP/Hartford auto and MH insurance. We decided to take it and had purchased a Coachnet membership. The Hartford insurance came with a comparable roadside assistance package that was comparable to Coachnet except for the concierge items. We got a darn good deal.
If you hadn't mentioned AARP I would have listened,was with them 10 years ARRP,but when they use my money to promote canadates againts this country I'm gone,sorry if this is Political.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
If you hadn't mentioned AARP I would have listened,was with them 10 years ARRP,but when they use my money to promote canadates againts this country I'm gone,sorry if this is Political.
i'm with you..aarp sucks
peter d
elainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
x's 3 on AARP
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #10

We have a '96 PaceArrow, 34-ft., Class A. Our insurance for the upper end liability with uninsured/under-insured motorist through Foremost, which is roughly $200.00 per year (in TX). We paid cash for out unit. You may check with them. We used Foremost with our previous 1978 Southwind, motorhome, 24-ft, Class A. We've found them to be cheaper than others with the same coverage.

Old Traveler
Old Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote