Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
I have had Nationwide Allied Insurance thru FMCA for years. I traded in a 36ft Rv for a new 40ft RV and my policy literally doubled. I called the company and they said it was because I went to a 40ft Coach. They no longer insure over 35ft. That is why my rates doubled. Because of my existing is why they Grand-fathered me in. Yeh, right. !!
I am open to any suggestions for Insurance for an RV in Florida.
Call the FMCA instance office, they will go back to the drawing boards for you and get get some better quotes.

I have all my insurance through USAA, except the coach. I tried to insure with USAA and was promptly diverted to Progressive. I have tried twice to get a decent quote through USAA/Progressive - ain't gonna happen. Last time USAA switched me to "Johnny" (Think game show announcer) and he gave me a quote. I kept asking if it included this, that, and the other thing. Exh time I did - the price went up.....I have been USAA for over 20 years and I was so surprised at this lack of service, which Imhave always found to be stellar.

Hence - this is how I ended up at FMCA Insurance. I am receiving a lot more insurance for less money......

Good luck, it can be frustrating. Also, try a local independent agent, I did when I bought my first motor go,e and was surprised at the insurance Imwas offered...

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I'll go with AARP and the Hartford. I check rates every once in a while and they just can't be beat. I have 2 cars, MH , house and rentals the more you add the more they discount. I have had a claim on a rental, small Fire, they did the deductible and PAID. I had one claim on the MH, they said have it fixed, did the deductible and PAID. NO hassle no rate increase, you can pay by month, quarter or year anyway you want and credit card from anywhere. Good rates, good service and a whole bunch of old farts insured.

LEN
That's all fine and dandy, but to use the insurance you have to join AARP...and that's not going to happen.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Insurance rant...sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Actually, the logic is sound. .........the overall odds of having an accident at some point increases, simply because of the increase in miles and exposure.

So your position is that if a person drives for many years with no accidents whatsoever, then that person will reach a point in the future-- say 40-50 years out, maybe?-- when the probability of having an accident today will become ironclad at 100%.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #32

X2 with fixn2gocamp - We do like Geico's rates and coverage. However, we have not had very good results with our claims. Recently we had a situation similar to Smitty77. DW was visiting a friend in an apartment complex. One of their children came in saying somebody had just hit her car (parked in front of apt.). She ran out as the person waved as she sped away. DW filed a police report; they said it was a hit and run. The kids at the apt. called the next day with the driver's license plate and name. The police said they knew who she was, but had been unable to contact her. However, when they traced the plates, a different name came up. That person said they did not do it and their insurance company refused to pay. Geico called this a "collision." We told Geico we did not collide with anyone, our vehicle was parked and they hit us. We agreed to disagree on their definition of a collision. With retracted our claim because we did not want to pay the high deductible and them pay a very small amount for the balance and then have an "accident" on our record, thus raising our cost next year. But the do have good rates.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #33

Same thing happened to me with Blue Sky. Year 1 $675, Year 2 $725 and this year rate went up to $1175. No claims no changes. I was fine with it until I read this thread and took a closer look and saw I got hosed .
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #34

To John and Diane: No, that's not how probabilities work. There will be driver's who go their whole lives without a ticket or an accident. They are law abiding, just cautious enough and lucky. In the example you give (which is not my position by the way) your driver approaches a 100% chance. Increased age and diminished abilities vs not driving as much might balance out. I want to die peacefully like my grandfather, surrounded by my family, not screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
....There will be driver's who go their whole lives without a ticket or an accident. ..........In the example you give (which is not my position by the way) your driver approaches a 100% chance. Increased age and diminished abilities vs not driving as much might balance out.

No. The only way a driver can approach 100% accident probability in this scenario (continued long-term exposure through accident-free driving) is if we stipulate from the start that every driver, regardless of skill and care, WILL have at least one accident at some unspecified time.
You and 4x4van made similar statements to the effect that a person who drives for a long time with no accidents suffers an ever increasing likelihood of an accident through sheer exposure. If this were the case, then the insurance industry- which stakes it's survival on the ability to analyze and calculate risk exposure-- would classify older adults with decades of accident free driving as the highest possible risk, and would classify teenage boys, with minimal driving time and a lifetime of driving exposure still to come, as a very low risk.
And yet, this is not the way things are.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance