Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Insurance rant...sorry.

Was with BlueSky for 3 years, good credit no accidents.
Had a 2000 39Z Bounder for $500/year full coverage $500 deductible and disappearing deductible.

Traded in this past July for a 2008 Bounder 38S. Called to update coverage...premium to $900 annual...okay...not too bad I guess.

Received this Monday morning in email along with new invoice due in Oct.

"You should have received your renewal via email yesterday. I wanted to alert you that there was a rate increase in AR that affected Class A motorhomes that are over the length of 35’. Your increase is 45.6%"

WHAT

Called around checking different companies...all about the same for $1500/year. (except Foremost who wanted over $2000/year.

DW reminded me we are now AARP members and maybe check with them. Okay...I don't get it....but just got off the phone with Hartford and for the exact same coverage etc etc their annual premium was $670.

Locked it in before they changed their mind. Just don't get how the companies can be different rates? I even told Hartford about the letter and the Arkansas rate change...she said no worries. Wow.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Check Escapees. They have several companies who work with members. $45.00 a year. A super deal especially with all the support you get
Joe
Old 09-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #3

Shopping now, as BlueSky had a dramatic increase, again, on this years renewal that we just received.

What is the "AR" increase? We are 40', so we're over the 35'.

And, it was just not our coach that increased, our 2007 Honda CRV toad has increased every year that we've been with them, now almost 50% higher after four years.

I did have a rock roll into the front corner of our coach, and due to the costs of repair, had it repaired under coverage. Used our 'vanished deductible'. One thing I did notice on the renewal, is they have me down as having 'one' accident on both our toad and coach. Need to call and ask what's going on in regards to this. As we were parked, engine not running, having lunch along a dirt road pull out, when the 18-24" rock rolled down the side and hit us. When I worked with the company on the claim, it was my understanding that this was 'comprehensive' claim - not an 'accident'. So will be on the phone with BlueSky on this, especially if they share data on some insurance industry database. Hoping it was just a clerical error on their part.

I did the math on 'insurance costs' all up for my wife and I two years ago. Between two homes insurance, RV/Toad + a truck insurance, Life Insurance, Long Term Care Insurance, Umbrella Insurance, Earthquake insurance and the big one for us Health Care insurance (Pre 65 Post ACA). We were spending just shy of $30K a year all up. And that was two years ago, and I can assure you that none of the costs have gone down, on any of these policies!

AARP is a good option for you, as I assume you do not Full Time(?). Not sure it will work for the those that do(?).

Best of luck to you on your search,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with GEICO too. They bundled our car/RV; also if you are former military, they offer a special department for veterans. We are fulltimers so harder to even get insurance. Recently changed our residency from LA to TX, insurance dropped over $1000 per year! Now sitting at $1200 a year for RV and 2013 car. Happy camper. Hope GEICO doesn't change a thing though...or I will go shopping. No hesitations. There is no customer loyalty for them anymore. Most insurance companies will age bracket you in an RV as well. Hit 65, 70, 75 and 80, you're going to see those jumps.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
" I did notice on the renewal, is they have me down as having 'one' accident on both our toad and coach. Need to call and ask what's going on in regards to this...
Smitty
as an agent myself, i can tell u that accidents follow the driver, not the vehicle, so they are accessing you 'points' for each vehicle you have insured - it is not vehicle specific.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
I have had Nationwide Allied Insurance thru FMCA for years. I traded in a 36ft Rv for a new 40ft RV and my policy literally doubled. I called the company and they said it was because I went to a 40ft Coach. They no longer insure over 35ft. That is why my rates doubled. Because of my existing is why they Grand-fathered me in. Yeh, right. !!
I am open to any suggestions for Insurance for an RV in Florida.
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Washington State has to be the worst.My rates are as good as I can get but are subject to change from year to year. Our Governor and his liberal cronies bilk us and the industry for every penny they can get. I'm with Liberty Mutual and they work with me as much as possible to keep my rates low. Shouldn't be this hard.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Anyone try USAA? I have heard they have pretty good rates.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody talk to Jake, from State Farm?

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Progressive Ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
USAA has a partnership Progressive Insurance and places you with them. (for me anyhow as a N.C. resident) Rate was ok.
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:57 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
USAA bumps you to Progressive as Smokey stated...Progressive is known for hiking their rates after the first year or two. We were with them for one year back in 2009. They hiked us after one year with no age bracket change, no accident, no ticket. Claimed it was a "Louisiana" state wide hike. When I called the state insurance commission, they said there had been no state wide increase. Dropped Progressive pretty quick. Now I understand they do not do full timers anymore.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
I have had Nationwide Allied Insurance thru FMCA for years. I traded in a 36ft Rv for a new 40ft RV and my policy literally doubled. I called the company and they said it was because I went to a 40ft Coach. They no longer insure over 35ft. That is why my rates doubled. Because of my existing is why they Grand-fathered me in. Yeh, right. !!
I am open to any suggestions for Insurance for an RV in Florida.
I have Nationwide thru another agent in FL. It is due for renewal and as always I show around. I am an FCMA member so I emailed them just yesterday. They sent me a quote back. One was from Nationwide (and it was the lowest of the 4). It was $500 more for the year with lower coverage's
Pays to shop around.
Geico has a good rate but they don't have replacement value so I am staying put. Mine is $1056 for the year
Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #13

Just a note about Geico's service. We used them with our last class A.

A tornado came through and laid a big tree over the front of the motorhome. Needless to say, that was enough to total it. Figured i was going to have trouble getting a fair settlement but Geico provided fantastic service! Had a really good adjuster come out to estimate the damage and after just a few days, met with him again to receive a settlement check. Turned out to be a very good experience all the way around.

I was a dedicated Geico fan for years afterwards but the premiums slowly increased to the point where i eventually had to buy elsewhere. Have had Progressive for the last 4 years and believe it or not, the premium actually decreased about $15 this last renewal. As far as service, don't know since i haven't had to call on them.

We don't fulltime so i have no idea what difference that might make.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Washington State has to be the worst.My rates are as good as I can get but are subject to change from year to year. Our Governor and his liberal cronies bilk us and the industry for every penny they can get. I'm with Liberty Mutual and they work with me as much as possible to keep my rates low. Shouldn't be this hard.
As a "retired" insurance agent based in Washington state for 30 years, I can tell you that you can thank the anti-business attitude of the state insurance division for the screwy rate changes. [Don't even get me started as to why a thriving aluminum industry deserted Washington state years ago!]

I've been with Liberty Mutual since 1988 and have NEVER had a problem with them that wasn't easily solved. Even my foggy window replacement was covered (after the $100 deductible).
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance