Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #43
When hurricane Andrew hit Homestead AFB head on I saw the aftermath. My bosses house was at ground zero and I saw the devestation the storm caused when I went over to help him recover. The streets in the area had the insurance companies names spray painted on the garage door. The proximity to Homestead meant that USAA was on a lot more doors in the area than it's then it's then very restrictive membership requirements would dictate. Prior to Andrew there was a 30 year hurricane free period, that weather pattern has not reoccurred hurricanes are hitting land in FL a lot more frequently. While I have no problem living in a manufactured home I have in the past, please have a plan for evacuation in the event you find yourself in the path of a storm. If a storm the magnitude of Andrew was to hit that kind of structure it would not survive and anything in it will be a total loss.
Right now my motorhome and motorcycle policies thru Progressive thru USAA are essentially free to me after being offset by subscriber savings. I'm new in the motorhome world but the Progressive policy was by quite a margin the best quote I was able to get. I don't know how long the motorhome coverage has been available but the motorcycle coverage is relatively new I've only bee able to get that thru USAA for the last three or four years.
My experience with USAA has been mostly a very positive one I feel fortunate that I have been able to pass the membership to my children and someday grand children. Damages from the first of the three hailstorms that have hit my home was in excess of 15,000.00. I'm now on my third roof courtesy of mother nature and USAA.
One of the main reason I entered this thread was to bring to other veterans attention that what was in the past unavailable to NCO's and enlisted soldiers is now open to anyone with an honorable discharge.

Brenda & AL
2016 30th Anniversary Bounder 35K, 6 speed chassis
2013 Chevy Sonic, 2015 KTM 390 Duke
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #44
All good info. I think it's time to take
a look at my rates.

Barry & Martha Trueman
2014 Bay Star Sport 2702
2008 Goldwing 2006 Harley FLHT
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #45
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
Ditto, my friend. Peter Lewis is the guy. He's as bad as George Soros.
Peter Lewis is no longer the chairman of Progressive Insurance. He held the post until he died in 2013 at the age of 80. Lewis also served as the CEO of Progressive Insurance for 35 years before he stepped down in 2000.

George Soros Plans to Buy and Close Gun Companies Like Marlin Firearms Fiction!
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:10 AM   #46
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting thread. There is one sure fire way to compare prices get them all on your RV. Shop around. When i bought my Rv the secretary looked up the price on my policy. I told her I wanted safeco and she looked up progressive. When the agent came back from lunch I called and had her look up safeco. She told me that progressive was usually the cheaper insurance. My safeco quote was about half of the progressive quote. I wanted the safeco quote because of my umbrella policy that covers my vehicles and houses. When you shop look at coverages that are available. Safeco has a glass coverage policy. 100.00 per year and it covers all of your vehicles window glass with zero deductible. I made my agent call the underwriter and check when she told me it covered the MH windows also. I have used the glass coverage on my truck and on my toad. Windows were replaced very quick in the parking lot where I was at with no cost to me.

I 100 per cent agree with the advice to check prices on a regular basis. I have 10 houses a 4x4 truck, motorhome, motorcycle, buick enclave and a chevrolet tracker. Insurance is a pretty big bill every year so i constantly check to make sure I can get compatible policies for the least amount of premium.

In my experience Safeco has been the best customer service. When we have hail storms they call me the next day to see if any of my houses have been damaged. When i have had fender benders they have just fixed them if it was my fault. My rates have not been increased and I had a tenant burn down one of my houses. Safeco paid amount of the policy and did not raise my rates.
2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 AM   #47
I do agree that it is important to shop insurance polices. My perspective is from the standpoint of when you have to use it, the legal perspective. I have been interpreting polices for 30 years and I find most people even lawyers do not understand them.
When shopping policies, you have to look at much more than prices.
Liability, this protects you if you make a mistake hand hurt someone, this is a state by state offering but in general most polices have a base of 100,000.00 but as i will tell you below, you want to buy an umbrella on top
Uninsured motorist, some states are no fault, this coverage protects you from the guy who has little or no insurance.
Medical payment coverage,(some states PIP, personal injury protection) pays medical bills does not matter who is at fault.
Collision, comprehensive, this fixes damage to your coach.

This is just an overview, my suggestion, don't overlook buying an umbrella over the basic policy to provide extra protection, the cost of the umbrella is cheap.

The cost of the policy is driven by the limits of coverage your buying and the deductibles. I think its best to save money on taking a bigger deductible rather than lower limits.

All of this is my opinion, and others may disagree.
2001 Itasca Horizon
24' Enclosed Car Hauler
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #48
Winnebago Owners Club
I've been with state farm all my life. I will say that the agent that you deal with makes a huge difference. Most will work for you a few will work against you. So, pick your agent with care! If you have to, change. When I was in the newpaper business I found that geico and progressive flat out refused to pay claims if they even suspected your were on the job in any fashion. When they were notified they just dropped you. When I've been on the receiving end from these 2 companies it was like pulling teeth from an elephant to get damages paid.

I did notice when I moved from cali to Arizona that my rates dropped 60%. I have heard the horror stories about hurricane katrina home damage claims not paid by state farm but don't have any personal experience with this. I had excellent service from my agents and claims adjustors. I never had a problem with them covering any accidents and never have had them raise rates due to an accident. But, there were a few years in the 90's where the insurance rates did jump up dramaticly on all vehicles. Since then small increases have been more the normal. Full timer coverage does cost more because of the increased liability exposure and most folks want their coach covered for full replacement value where as standard automotive insurance is only for "used car" value. Mother in law pays triple for her full timer, full replacement, insurance even through her coach is worth the same as mine. You get what you pay for.
May your black water hose never break!
lonfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #49
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It does pay to shop around, at least every couple of years! At one time we used an independent agency for all our insurance, and just didn't bother to shop because we trusted him and thought he was getting us the best deals. WRONG!

The agent died and we decided to shop around. I was amazed at how much we saved!
You should have killed him sooner

big willie is offline   Reply With Quote