Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #29
K-2

Thats been our experience too. My hubby has been with State Farm for over 40 years and they were able to keep our rates very reasonable. And that longevity discount certainly helps.
K-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 05:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Thanks, then that won't work for me.

Forgive me if the question is too personal, but would you mind sharing why that won't work for you?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #31

JP
FWIW. In the 50 years you were with USAA how many tens of thousands of dollars of subscriber saving account checks did you get to cash? Where you live reflects in what you will pay for insurance, auto and home, I saw first hand what hurricane Andrew did to south FL it's a wonderful place to live but it's not if but when a storm will hit you and your rates will reflect that and so will the predominate methods of home construction to cope with that reality. USAA has replaced the roof on this house in KY 3 times now due to hail damage and their customer service was a lot better than my neighbors that had other companies. My biggest complaint with USAA is that their preferred body shop in this area is the definition of incompetent, but I don't have to use them if I don't want to. Let me know how many checks Southern sends you this year.
That being said this is an RV forum and so far my Progressive thru USAA policies have been more than reasonably priced but I have no actual claims experience with them. (My motorhome and motorcycle ( Progressive thru USAA ) policies were essentially free the subscriber checks more than paid for both policies)
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Forgive me if the question is too personal, but would you mind sharing why that won't work for you?
I won't support AARP
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I won't support AARP
This is not an unusual position. my DW who worked for AARP for many years can attest to the ACA support problem ( among others ) fthat AARP created. They are in fact ,at the core a liberal organization, and if you feel strongly about that some prefer not to support their business partner ventures. Progressive is another company ,as in true to its name, was founded and run by a progressive liberal and I know many folks who won't purchase progressive products because of that.
Its just one more factor to think of in a Insurance purchase. Or anything for that matter.
Hartford AARP have been good on the $ side for us and AARP is still doing well ( or so we are told ) but everyone makes there own purchase loyalty decisions.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #34

I am a long-time USAA member, and while the service, and claims when needed have been smooth, the Subscriber's Savings Account is an aspect of the company's policy that is unjustified. While there have been semi regular credits/or checks refunding a portion of the money locked up in the account, the current balance of over $10,000, is too much to leave sitting idle.

Currently shopping for a new company for that reason.
mike337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #35

mike
The cork unlocks on that money a lot when you've had your 40th anniversary with them. This information is from the last voucher I received from them. The money is tax free because it is considered a return of premium. The money stays in your account as long as you have least one property and casualty policy with them.
How they distribute the money is somewhat of a mystery to me too. The fact that it is available at all I consider a benefit.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #36

Quote:
I won't support AARP

Okay, thanks for the input. Personally, I don't think AARP does much except broker a LOT of junk mail for things I don't need/am not interested in. It appears to be a clearing house for personal information. That said, I opted out of everything and the waste stream to my garbage can is thinning out. It gets me more reasonable rates on my RV insurance, so I have personally made the decision to pay their dues. More power to you for researching and sticking to your beliefs! Take care and whatever you decide, safe motoring!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike337 View Post
I am a long-time USAA member, and while the service, and claims when needed have been smooth, the Subscriber's Savings Account is an aspect of the company's policy that is unjustified. While there have been semi regular credits/or checks refunding a portion of the money locked up in the account, the current balance of over $10,000, is too much to leave sitting idle.

Currently shopping for a new company for that reason.
I wrote them a few years back and asked them for a check for the current balance of my SBA for exactly the same reason you stated. They send a check for about 80% of the SBA.

USAA is member owned, so we as members ARE the stockholders, and therefore receive "dividends" if financial obligations (claims) are less than projected for a given year. Dipping into their "war chest" when there are higher than normal claims as in the case of hurricanes, wild fires, tornadoes, flooding, or Zombie Apocalypse in turn reduces the war chest and the associated dividends at the end of the year. I'm okay with that, within reason.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
JP
FWIW. In the 50 years you were with USAA how many tens of thousands of dollars of subscriber saving account checks did you get to cash? Where you live reflects in what you will pay for insurance, auto and home, I saw first hand what hurricane Andrew did to south FL it's a wonderful place to live but it's not if but when a storm will hit you and your rates will reflect that and so will the predominate methods of home construction to cope with that reality. USAA has replaced the roof on this house in KY 3 times now due to hail damage and their customer service was a lot better than my neighbors that had other companies. My biggest complaint with USAA is that their preferred body shop in this area is the definition of incompetent, but I don't have to use them if I don't want to. Let me know how many checks Southern sends you this year.
That being said this is an RV forum and so far my Progressive thru USAA policies have been more than reasonably priced but I have no actual claims experience with them. (My motorhome and motorcycle ( Progressive thru USAA ) policies were essentially free the subscriber checks more than paid for both policies)
In the 20 years that I've owned a motorhome, USAA has never been able to provide competitive rates. When I owned my home in Wisconsin, USAA increased my homeowner premiums by 50 percent after a small wind damage claim ($2500). I lived in a duplex and my neighbor's insurance company paid for a complete roof replacement while USAA would only pay for a few damaged shingles on my half of the house. If my neighbor chose to replace his roof , I would be obligated to do mine as well. Many of the folks in the rest of our development were paid for complete roof replacement from their insurers without question. Then, when I moved to Florida, USAA refused to insure any manufactured home and would only insure concrete block homes built after 2000, even though wind mitigation inspection was passed. Of all the years I've been a USAA member, my total claims did not exceed $5000. Their auto rates are 40 percent higher than I can get elsewhere. The lower cost premiums I get at other insurers far outweigh the checks I got from USAA. Since USAA has a limited market (military), why do they advertise on national TV? Florida has a huge retired military population, so why are they so difficult to do business with? In the last ten years, they have lost their direction IMO.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #39

Quote:
I won't support AARP
My wife and I are with you. We used to belong to them until they got on the ACA band wagon. We cancelled our membership. We also used to have Progressive ins until they started jumping the rates for no reason and then we learned how much the owner contributes to liberal causes. Now, their rate for our motor home is attractive, but we won't deal with them again. For us, the rate is not as important as our beliefs and we will not knowingly contribute to their bottom line.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #40

Send a message via Yahoo to victhedude44
Insurance reality check in.

After reading this form I decided I should check my auto ins. rates just for interest sake. Last year after having my 2008 Holiday Rambler insured with Progressive along with 4 other automobiles, them raised my rate by a lot of $$$$ so I checked with Good Sam National General ins. They were almost as much for 12 month policy as Progressive was for 6 months. So I went with Good Sam. This year there rate dropped by $10.00 for a 12 month coverage. This morning I got a quote from Good Sam for my other 4 Autos . I was able to insure them all and save a total of $1246.00 . No brainer to me.
victhedude44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
My wife and I are with you. We used to belong to them until they got on the ACA band wagon. We cancelled our membership. We also used to have Progressive ins until they started jumping the rates for no reason and then we learned how much the owner contributes to liberal causes. Now, their rate for our motor home is attractive, but we won't deal with them again. For us, the rate is not as important as our beliefs and we will not knowingly contribute to their bottom line.
Ditto, my friend. Peter Lewis is the guy. He's as bad as George Soros.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
In the 20 years that I've owned a motorhome, USAA has never been able to provide competitive rates. When I owned my home in Wisconsin, USAA increased my homeowner premiums by 50 percent after a small wind damage claim ($2500). I lived in a duplex and my neighbor's insurance company paid for a complete roof replacement while USAA would only pay for a few damaged shingles on my half of the house. If my neighbor chose to replace his roof , I would be obligated to do mine as well. Many of the folks in the rest of our development were paid for complete roof replacement from their insurers without question. Then, when I moved to Florida, USAA refused to insure any manufactured home and would only insure concrete block homes built after 2000, even though wind mitigation inspection was passed. Of all the years I've been a USAA member, my total claims did not exceed $5000. Their auto rates are 40 percent higher than I can get elsewhere. The lower cost premiums I get at other insurers far outweigh the checks I got from USAA. Since USAA has a limited market (military), why do they advertise on national TV? Florida has a huge retired military population, so why are they so difficult to do business with? In the last ten years, they have lost their direction IMO.
I've tried to buy USAA insurance for years, but they were never competitive with Progressive, Safeco or even State Farm. I have bounced back and forth between Safeco and Progressive the last ten years. I seem to get a significant savings the first year I switch from one to the other. Then the rates slowly creep up until I switch again.

Tags
insurance