Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2017, 11:31 PM   #1

intake clean water leak, 1989 Georgie Boy

Hello All,
We are pesky newbies, and you have saved our bacon a few times already! We have discovered a constant drip (about 1 gallon hour) that runs along the water intake side, above the basement chamber that houses the water intake, pump, and intake pipes (and grey and black discharges).

A few considerations:
-it is not at any of the initial pipes and joints that can be visualized in that compartment.
-The prior owner winterized and drained, but did have mid-winter house guests.
-The dripping water is not warm (did heat up hoping it wasn't water heater/tank--and it's on the opposite side of the leak)
-it was tracking along a wiring housing against the outer wall above the basement door!

We tried a few different evaluations:
1) When hooked to outside water pressure and disengaged from the coach water tank: all faucets work, no obvious air
2)when turned off to outside water pressure and using coach water tank and water pump--this increases the dripping to about 1.5-2 gallons/hour, and still no obvious air mixture difference at faucet.

I feel like its the pipe that goes to the sink that runs along that side.
No water under sink, no visualized/dripping heard under cupboard. There's probably 3 feet I cannot visualize running between the basement door or the under-sink cabinet.

How in the heck does one get at it?
We are not really fix-it savvy, but willing to learn, but not at the expense of possibly causing damage to flooring, walls, insulation, etc. I had already pulled up all the carpet to renovate, and there is no sign of chronic leaking. Also, we (of course) were really hoping for a maiden voyage to a blues festival with our beloved Georgie Boy (28 foot 1989, cruise master chevy P30 chassis 454) in 2 weeks.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, we have asked around our Olympia area regarding good RV technicians, and sadly have had fairly disparaging reports. If anybody can recommend an "Angies List" type referral base that's vetted mechanics, we'd love that, too!

Can't thank you enough for sharing your expertise!
Peace,
Dan and Jeri
dnj5861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #2

mine was leaking from water filter under sink.
jimmywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:55 PM   #3

About all I can say about accessing the unseen pipe , is if there are drawers in the area pull them out , if there's a closet it may have a false floor , if the furnace , return air grill is there , take it off . If it appears to run behind the fridge , look for it through the outside vent for the fridge.
I don't have the same unit , but these are things I have to do to see all my plumbing.
Good Luck.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #4

I had the same problem two weeks ago in our 2001 Georgie Boy (Suite). Filled the water tank, checked the water pump as OK, but noticed a leak somewhere under the shutoff valves on the driveway before we left for a three hour trip. When we got there, no water in the tank. To make a long story short, I found that the cold water shutoff was not QUITE fully closed. There was a definite click when I turned it off completely. Worth checking this out.
Bob.C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy, leak, water, water leak