Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWADoug View Post
So, need some help and seems there's a lot of folks with some great and I'll admit confusing input so I'm hoping I came to the right place!! I have a 38F Fleetwood pusher that has the Michelin, no boo's please, XZE2+ 275/70 R22.5's that are just over a year old. The Michelin chart says the maximum tire load single psi should be 130 and for dual 120. Suggestions on what to run them at then?

I'm certain there's going to be more than a few opinions on the subject but based upon what I'm reading the guy who I bought the RV from was obviously full of it.. He ran them at 95 PSI!! I took them to 105 but sounds like that might not be right. Look forward to the input even if I need to be taken out behind the shed. Only way to learn sometimes.

Thx.
I agree with the input on getting a four corner weight. But the previous owner may not have been full of it! We just replaced our last 6 out of 8 Michelin XZE*. These gave us good service, and actually Laszlo of TCI Tire Center, a pretty well known and respected tire man in the South West, said I could have gone another season on them. They were 6 years old, and no signs of any problems.

Your size is different then the 12R, so the Manufactures Tire Charts will show a different PSI recommendation then ours for the same weight. (Key is to recognize this is the 'minimum', and many run a 'contingency' 10% or so on top of that.

That being said. My XZE, per the chart, would run at 75 PSI on the rears and tags, and 90 on the Steers. (Not including my 10% and rounding mentioned above, that I personally do.)

Suggest you check the Fleetwood owners groups for others with our same year an model that have had four corner weights - that will at least give you a 'like coach' bearing to work off, until you can get your own four corner weight.

Take good care of those tires, as they are pricey, and they'll take good care of you!

Best, and enjoy,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, the only experience I have is the 14+ years we have been running this rig.

We have used, Toyo, and Bridgestone tires.

Both brands rode well with tires inflated to the manufacturer specs for the average weight on each tire.

No blowouts occurred.

I replaced the first set of Toyo at six years old because I read all the cautions on these forums about tire age. Those cautions and the fact we were going to travel in Canada on those aged tires made me do it.....silly me.

In the 7th and 8th year of the next tires, we added a tire pressure sensor system for insurance. It did not seem to be needed, but does provide some distractive entertainment.

All new tires now.

The obsession with inflation plus 10%, brand of tires, age of tires, weight on tires seems to be a form of entertainment on these forums.

To each his own.

My own, is using the average weight per tire and the tire manufacture's tire pressure recommendation. Then focus on enjoying the ride.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #17

Hey Dean - I plead guilty to a few of your observations on tires!

I do wonder if you mean 'per able' vs 'per tire'. Even I who admit to being a bit overly cautious in regards to those little patches that make contact to the ground, do follow there recommendation of matching the PSI on the axle, based upon the tire on that axle with the highest weight.

TPMS for me, is a check in the AM as heading out. Then I ignore it unless a warning beep comes on. As it did in our Bounder, when I'd picked up a nail and as a slow loss of pressure. This was the steer wheel, and I do not know if I would have noticed the lower pressure before it possibly overheated and had a blow out. (Nail was just past the tread in the shoulder of the tire.)

So while possibly obsessive and yes fodder for many, many posts (That I add to too!), I do feel these posts are educational for many of us that came into this thing called RV'ing with no real world experience with heavy vehicles.

And note, I did not take our post personally! I sure understand your comments. So now, let me get onto my next post on the virtues of Syn vs Dino....

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote