Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #15

I always dump the air out of the suspension - puts it that much closer to the ground for leveling! Plus it makes it easier for the commander in chief to get in and out of the coach!

40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Most large city buses have a "kneeling" feature that dumps either both or at least the right front air bag to make it easier to enter/exit the bus.

On my MH, the bags dump when you turn the leveling system on. I can dump them to make it easier for my wife (short with bad knees) to enter/exit.

Many years ago, I bought a good-sized boat with a trailer with air suspension. Included with the sale was a new set of shocks. One of the first things I did, before I used the boat, was replace the shocks. The first time I launched the boat, we came back from fishing to find the trailer air bags flat. What I didn't realize, the new shocks were longer than the originals. They fit, but with the weight of the boat off, and sitting in the sun, evidently the air bags extended so much they blew the beads out of the retainer. It was a very slow trip back to the house with no suspension. I bought two sets of helper springs and used them to replace the air bags. I learned a lesson there - don't leave air bags inflated with no weight on them!

gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
How do you dump the bags? The only way I know to do it is to press the leveling jacks button.
I have an air dump switch on the drivers panel. I find it to be a bit slow so I pump the brake with the engine off to bleed the air quicker.

Just remember to let the bags air up before driving off.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #18

I dump 'em too. Question; any idea of the typical life span of the airbags? They look pretty scrunched up when lowered, and I would expect that shortens their life.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
you can also, very slightly, lift the air Parking brake knob and, while keeping the brakes on, dump air very very quickly. I do this all the time, much faster than the "Air dump" switch.

cheers
geo
Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never done this before but I do like the idea.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I will try it too. My air dump valve is painfully slow thats why I fan the brake pedal.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist
I dump 'em too. Question; any idea of the typical life span of the airbags? They look pretty scrunched up when lowered, and I would expect that shortens their life.
Life span can very due to weather conditions and frequency of use as well as various other reasons. If everything is properly installed I wouldn't be overly concerned for quite a while, really start watching them after 10 years. Again, though that can vary quite a bit depending on your circumstances.

Collapsing an air bag isn't a bad thing as long as the bag doesn't become overly twisted or misaligned. We recommend maintaining 5 psi in the bags at a minimum for our kits. This is mostly because of how our kits fit on some vehicles, without some pressure you risk the brackets coming dislodged.

Most airbags I have seen on motorhomes though use brackets that are bolted or welded in.

Unless you will be leaving the motorhome with no air for months you shouldn't have an issue. The best idea though is to check them out at least once a year. Just double check that nothing is rubbing on the bag or has any sort of excessive wear.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLift View Post
Life span can very due to weather conditions and frequency of use as well as various other reasons. If everything is properly installed I wouldn't be overly concerned for quite a while, really start watching them after 10 years. Again, though that can vary quite a bit depending on your circumstances..
Thank you Mike - an excellent contribution.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist
If you think about it, your airbags most likely spend the majority of their life deflated anyway. If you're camping, they're deflated. If it sits unused or in storage, the bags deflate on their own over time. The only time they're inflated is when you're driving, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Wink

I think I might have stated incorrectly on the air brake knob. it's up to lock the brakes so it may be a slight down pressure vs and up pull.. but which ever.. it works well to dump air quickly... ( i haven't been in my RV since Sept... )

cheers
geo