Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Interior LED Lighting

We are relatively new to full-time living and don't do a lot of work, other than general day to day stuff, compared to what I read in the threads.
We have an LED light in the bathroom that flickers - half of it doesn't come on (3 LEDs it appears when I take the cover off) - and other half is fine. Having no experience with this type of lighting, how easy is to change out the light? I suspect many of you are rolling your eyes as you read this but I thought it would be good to consult the experts before doing more than just watching it flicker.
All assistance is appreciated.
RalphR01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The issue is likely the LED bulb itself. Try swapping the bulbs around to confirm
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #3

How easy? Easy for me...

There are hundreds of 12 volt LED light fixtures available on Amazon and eTrailer.com, and other sites. Some are just lights. Some have motion sensors. Some are works of art. Some are simple designs.

A screw driver, wire cutter, crimping tool, and pocket knife are usually enough. Small automotive butt splice to join wires using crimping pliers. All are available at hardware and automotive stores.

I have a cheap digital voltmeter, but would not usually need it for this. Observing positive and negative wire connections is vital.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

How many RVers does it take to change a light bulb...

It simple plug and play. Take one out. Put on in.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB218NYC View Post
How many RVers does it take to change a light bulb...It simple plug and play. Take one out. Put on in.
Very helpful...Having a bad day?

It looks like you have frosted glass covers that are difficult to get off to get to the bulb. Take a bread knife and slip it between the glass and the ceiling material, all the way around to unstick it. Push up on the glass cover while turning CCW...cover should come off. I’ve had good luck with the cheap EBay/China ones...$1 each but Amazon now has the cheap ones and next day.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you for the responses so far. To be clear, which I was not, it's not a bulb but a frosted cover screws off and there are 6 small squares inside, mounted on a plate, that provide the light. 3 on one side light up; 3 on the other don't but just flicker.
RalphR01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #7

Sounds like my ITC lights. you can buy them on Amazon. There is a couple of sizes. easy swap in my case. They had some bad runs and I had to swap quite a few of mine. They were also flickering. The new lights led board in the fixture was different at least it was in my case so they hopefully got past their issues.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Those are plug in bulbs. Try swapping them around to assure the issue moves with the bulb which likely will happen. As stated, these are readily available
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:30 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ralph, (That was my Dads first name)

Keep this in mind. You can place your fingers directly on a 12-Volt car battery and it will not shock you. This is not a dangerous thing to work on. Yes it's still advisable to turn off the voltage when working on them. Any direct short from positive to ground will usually blow a fuse or trip a breaker.

Do your self a favor and as suggested get a few tools and a cheap digital meter and learn how to do some of these types of RV repairs. You will not regret it.

We had one standard light fixture over the kitchen sink. The stock bulb over heated the plastic which failed after just 3 years. We replaced it with an LED Amazon fixture for about $15. It has a three position switch: on, off, sensor of/on. In the center is off. Left is on all the time and right uses a sensor which turns the light on for 38 seconds.

The cat goes out into the kitchen and the light comes on so he can eat. If we go out into the kitchen in the middle of the night for water or in my case to eat because of low blood sugar it comes on lighting our way. We absolutely love it!!!

Some of the LED lights are fixed (soldered) onto a circuit board and some are not. If they do come out they should have a number which can usually be matched. Another way to find a replacement LED is to compare the plug-in base on your LED with what you'll see on an internet sight.

Finding correct LEDs at first was difficult. Us old folks don't understand lumens as readily as we understand watts.

For 65+ years I've worked/taught on all types of vehicles, radar sets while in the AF. Wired my own house. When I was 9 and 10 years old I built electric motors from scratch and have worked on a few air planes along with computer electrical repairs. Built my own shortwave radio receiver and transmitter and had my armature radio license when I was 12.

The LEDs came along and it still threw me a curve for a short time period. It's just a different language. The LEDs look different and some terms had to be absorbed to begin to understand them.

Tags
interior, led, light