RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Interior step height

The steps in motorhomes are notorious for being high. In our fifth wheel my husband build a three step to fit over the two steps. Can't do that in the MH.

The steps are 9 and 9 1/2 inches. After 14 years of living with them, my knees are protesting. Has anyone built a portable steps to go over them? Our battery is located underneath so they have to be easily removed. The steps are 14" deep, 27" wide and the 9" high.

Any ideas that are not too involved would be appreciated.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #2

This one comes to mind. You would need to defeat the auto step foldout, probably by using the step switch in the coach to keep the electric ones retracted. However, no info is given on the site as to step height, but it does have a nice handrail!!

Link:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...saArnNEALw_wcB

Image from website:
Attached Images

Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

I am referring to the interior steps - the ones inside the MH. . We already have a porch built for outside.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

My mistake. Not sure on that then. If there were not batteries underneath the steps I would remove them from the undercarriage and then rebuild the steps and the landing, even if it meant taking away a little floorspace and adding another step for comfort.

Best of Luck!

Edit for a though that popped into my head....

How about grabbing a length of 2x16 board, cutting it down to fit on top of each inner step, then removing the current step covering, placing the cut pieces on top of the baseflooring and attaching then recovering the steps. This would increase the step-in height from outside, but would reduce that 9" height down to right at 8".

You could also paint them, place grip strip on top and just place them over the current ones.

I'm out of ideas after that, lol.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #5

great minds think alike! That has been my thought. It would take 2 thickness of 2x6 for the second step and one for the first step as you come in. I guess I could attach it to the second step and then figure out a way to keep it in place on the first one but still be able to remove quickly if needed since when raising the step the 2 inches might interfere.

Was hoping someone might come up with a different idea.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #6

If someone wanted to get really into things, they could custom fab a metal solution, but it would require welding or some other type of build...

I've never thought about the inside steps before, you're post is going to get me spending an afternoon with a measuring tape staring at them now!!!!

LOL!
Old 06-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #7

I am only 5'3" - so 9 inch steps are high. After 14 years of full time living in it my knees are getting angry. My neighbor who has a diesel pusher also complains about the steps. I am determined to find a solution and she is waiting. I am on my own on this as my husband can't help any longer (has Alzheimer's).

I was hoping maybe someone out there in MH land may have already tackled the problem!

Tags
interior