Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #1

Intermittent step retract

Have noticed the electric steps for the entry are staying out when the door is closed and the motor is off. Figured this was normal, but this morning the steps were retracted, magic I guess.
I understand that the steps will retract when the coach engine is running and the door is closed, so when you open the door the steps extend, as it should. However, it could be that I have a intermittent actuator function, could this be caused by, say bad chassis ground, or sticky relay. Thoughts?

Mike
mikecosgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My steps have a mind of their own and I have given up on them. At present, they do not respond to the switch that tells them to open/close with the door when the engine is not running, and I'm good with that. Last year it seemed that if I had the switch in the "on" position, the steps were prone to extend on their own as I went down the road. That switch has no effect anymore, but the good news is I haven't had an unscheduled deployment for nearly a year now. I can live with that.

I have taken it to be repaired twice, but the problem remains. Unless they completely quit working, or the solution to the problem comes to me in my sleep, I'm not going to mess with them.

Problem steps appear to be common.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
My steps have a mind of their own and I have given up on them. At present, they do not respond to the switch that tells them to open/close with the door when the engine is not running, and I'm good with that. Last year it seemed that if I had the switch in the "on" position, the steps were prone to extend on their own as I went down the road. That switch has no effect anymore, but the good news is I haven't had an unscheduled deployment for nearly a year now. I can live with that.

I have taken it to be repaired twice, but the problem remains. Unless they completely quit working, or the solution to the problem comes to me in my sleep, I'm not going to mess with them.

Problem steps appear to be common.
A friend of mine was standing a busy street with his parents waiting to cross when an RV came by and the steps deployed just before getting to them taking the father down just above the ankles breaking both legs and an arm. Tough on a 70 something guy. The RV never stopped and I doubt they knew it even happened. My steps used to do this same thing and I thought nothing of it until Jeff told me what happened to his Dad. He said they all saw it but there just wasn't time to get him out of the way. Got my steps fixed before the next trip. It was the door switch the was not grounded well enough and was occasionally losing its ground. Simple fix. I know it was a fluke that it happened like it did but that little event really changed some lives in a big way. Another one of those strange and curious events life has for some of us. I would not have dreamed this could have ever happened.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #4

Mike, Most units have a switch (usually right by the door inside) which allows the steps to deploy and stay open once you're parked and engine is off and the door is opened for the first time. I suspect someone has turned that switch back on.. or someone turned the ignition key to the ON position momentarily.

And yes, regardless of the switch position the steps automatically retract when engine ignition is turned on.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #5

I know of the three switches just inside the entry door,the first switch turns on the porch light, the second switch turns on the night lights on the floor, the last which I suspect is the on off switch for the steps.I guess I'll have to turn that switch on and see what effect it has.in fact I think I'll go out and do that right now, back in a minute.
Mike
Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Mike, Most units have a switch (usually right by the door inside) which allows the steps to deploy and stay open once you're parked and engine is off and the door is opened for the first time. I suspect someone has turned that switch back on.. or someone turned the ignition key to the ON position momentarily.

And yes, regardless of the switch position the steps automatically retract when engine ignition is turned on.
Ours retracts that way as well. Turn on the key an start it retracts the steps. We found out our steps were going out down the road by another motorist waving wildly at us and pointing. DW looks in the mirror and it is out, nope back in, now back out. the switch inside keeps it out when you sitting saving wear and tear on the steps.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #7

okay, after playing with the steps and the door and ignition switch I've come to one conclusion the steps are crazy!so I decided to go to the website of the manufacturer of the steps, and lo and behold I found more information than I knew what to do withI have now gotten a complete breakdown of the steps how to put together how to troubleshoot them and now my work is cut out for me.so give me a day or two to play with this and I'll get back to you all.
Mike
Old 09-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #8

steps fixed!

After using the downloaded procedures from the step manufacture I found that the 5 amp fuse was blown, and after replacing it, the steps now work as they should. Thanks for all you help.
Mike
Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Think about this. The connector and ground for the step motor could not be in a worse place, under the Motorhome behind a wheel. As your driving, all the road dirt and grime is getting splashed up from the wheel, and it is also along the edge of the road.

I cleaned my connector with contact cleaner and used dielectric grease, then wrapped it in celophane and electrical tape. I also cleaned my ground connection and put dielectric grease on top to help seal it from the weather. I haven't had any issues from my steps for over a year now.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #10

After replacing fuse, fixed steps

Since repacing the fuse for the steps, I have opened and closed the door with the switch in the "on" position and the steps have extented and retracted as the door is opened or closed without missing a beat. I am not sure what exactly caused the fuse to blow, but I suspect it was due to age. I plan on taking all the connections apart and each fuse and coating them with dielectric grease to prevent any further corrosion. I do have some rust in the battery area that needs to be delt with, possibly due to a leak of some kind and after some preparation will paint that area as well. At this time I have concluded that the steps are fully operational in both the on and off power positions. So with that said, I will close this discussion and call it good.

Mike
Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Thanks for updating us.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #12

The fuse will burn out when resistance gets too high. The step motor stops when the sensor sees an increase in amperage draw (end of travel normally). Kwikee says to lubricate the steps once a month.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote