Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I am satisfied with your price and would like to send you a deposit. It will take me 3 days to drive out there to pick up the item. My car broke down I will not be able to make it out so I will send you the payment in full plus 2 thousand for shipping. After you deposit my fake certified cheque into your account please wire the 2 thousand to my shipping company. I feel that I can trust you bla bla bla.
My nephew had a car for sale on eBay. Got the same type of response you did along with a stack of fake money orders from a Texas bank in the mail. We told him it was a scam and after calling the bank that alledgedly issued the MO's, they confirmed they were fake. No money lost.

rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #100
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Here's a reply I heard back today on an RV I enquired about.
What a crock if $h!t.

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:37:49 -0800
To: <les@---------->
Subject: Re: Reply to your "2003 Fleetwood Providence 39S- Used 3 slide 330hp Diesel"

Hi, I'm sorry for the delay, but I just landed in Hawaii and started checking my email. I wanted to let you know that the 2003 Fleetwood Providence 39S is still available, i had a buyer but his loan did not get approved. The coach was left to me by my father after he passed away last year. At this time the coach is in Hamilton,ON where my father use to live. If you're not able to come pick this up, we can use Escrow service to handle this deal. The final price is $36.000.

Here is a link with more photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/10971...21435844053665

Let me know if you have any questions, for some reasons your previous email did not load on my screen.

Regards,
Karl Schultz

Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #101

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Link is to Brandon Ash's pictures..
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #102
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Amazing eh?

I have a hard time believing that people fall for it, but I guess they are out there.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Amazing eh?

I have a hard time believing that people fall for it, but I guess they are out there.
In at least some cases, it's about would-be scammers being taken by REAL scammers - put another way, folks looking for that unbelievable deal that THEY can either save lotsa $$$ on by taking advantage of a situation - or perhaps quickly sell or trade for a big profit.

In those cases, the "victims" are getting what they deserve...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
So I guess if someone is selling something cheap for a quick sale based on circumstances I should offer more then list price otherwise I am a scammer just when you think you've heard it all
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
In at least some cases, it's about would-be scammers being taken by REAL scammers - put another way, folks looking for that unbelievable deal that THEY can either save lotsa $$$ on by taking advantage of a situation - or perhaps quickly sell or trade for a big profit.

In those cases, the "victims" are getting what they deserve...
Come on Gary...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #106
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Reachin' Gary, I don't think anyone deserves to be unknowingly taken for money. The people you speak of have the right to turn down any offer on their sale.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #107

Perhaps crudely phrased, but an interesting commentary on the process of buying and selling nonetheless. A slight deviation from the topic of this thread, but what constitutes ethical behavior when it comes to a used RV transaction?

A very common technique I have come across in looking for a used DP is the "I don't know much about this RV stuff" sales person. The objective seems to be twofold. First, the sales person gets to complement the buyer on how brilliant he is in knowing technical stuff like where the tire date code is. Second, the sales person gets to avoid questions like "What am I going to have to fix?" and "Do you know of any problems with this coach?" with a simple shrug and "I don't know". This seems to be the person that is filling out the purchase order before they have even started the engine. Is this unethical or simply accepted sales technique?

Why do so few dealerships have have spec sheets on their used inventory the way realtors do? Is the assumption that if they didn't specify that you were getting a refrigerator then you can't hold them accountable if it doesn't work?

The professional sales person's objective is to close the deal to put food on the table and shoes on the children's feet. The private seller wants to close the deal to buy something else or to get out from under the mortgage. The buyer wants to close the deal to get a fair to good deal and to know as well as possible what he is getting into.

The buyer is in the driver's seat [pun intended] because he has hundreds or thousands of other options and probably does not 'need' to invest in a luxury item at this particular moment.

Comments?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt
Perhaps crudely phrased, but an interesting commentary on the process of buying and selling nonetheless. A slight deviation from the topic of this thread, but what constitutes ethical behavior when it comes to a used RV transaction?
Buyer beware.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #109

As a relative newcomer to iRV2 I have spent much time reading......and learning from the postings on this site. My wife and I have not yet purchased our 'motorized home' and we are still in the research and planning stages. Frankly, it has been 25 years since we did any RV'ing but with retirement just a couple of years away we are looking forward to this next step in life.
With all of that said I also frequent www.racingjunk.com as a source for motor homes on the sales market.
I have found scams, ad nauseum, on this site but the moderators have been quick to respond, investigate and remove the fake listings when I presented the complaint.
Still, I can't help but think of the good intentioned folks who fall prey only because of indifference.

"Sir, I will gladly pay you next Tuesday, for a hamburger today."
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #110

Has anyone followed up on the Craigs List ads for a tan 1998 American Dream in the Orlando area? There are a number of ads showing different prices, different cities and different amounts of information. The price looks right, so why is it still there? The line "features too numerous to mention" kept me away.

Just wondering.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Has anyone followed up on the Craigs List ads for a tan 1998 American Dream in the Orlando area? There are a number of ads showing different prices, different cities and different amounts of information. The price looks right, so why is it still there? The line "features too numerous to mention" kept me away.

Just wondering.
Are you talking about the one in the CL ad that is attached below?

We're not following it but not only is the price suspicious but the we noticed a lot of quirky wording in the ad itself.

"Cummings" instead of Cummins.

"Ducked AC"

"FRIDEGE"

"TO MUCH TOO LIST" instead of 'too much to list'

Doesn't mean that it is not necessarily legitimate but it does make you wonder.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1998 AMERICAN DREAM DIESEL LIKE NEW.pdf (146.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Doesn't mean that it is not necessarily legitimate but it does make you wonder.
Poor spelling would only make me wonder why they don't have spell check. If a price is to good that could raise a flag.