Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #29
Community Moderator

wow the con man is quite revealing... thank you for the link.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Radar,
You have done well in your reporting. No one entity can investigate a single case, but if there are many cases they will look into it. You may never get your money back, but you may have peace of mind that the perpetrators are behind bars.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #31

These have been great posts by all of you. I have picked up a little more info on scams. I live north of San Antonio and, as everywhere, autos and motorcycles are used often. Another dangerous area is a TV or iPad for sale on Craigslist and they want you to meet them in a shopping mall to exchange funds. If you get away with your life you are lucky.

If I don't get at least one offer to help some poor lady from Nigeria get her dead husband's money out of Africa and make $250,000 or so, I feel neglected. ha ha
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Had a fellow who was working as a bio engineer stationed on a boat at sea that wanted to buy my 5th wheeler for his dad in WA. He would pay my paypal account. He would schedule the transportation to be there when the payment was recieved. I checked with paypal and they could not verify his address.

I sent him a picture of my hand with 3 fingers extended. Ask if he could read between the lines. Funny, I never heard back from him.

Info posted on here forewarned of something not right.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
If anyone is considering paying ahead of time ....... Don't!!!!!!!
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #34

Rexhall Owners Group
I have seen this before when a friend tried to purchase a Honda Goldwing with a price to good to be true over the internet on e-bay. I warned him to do his home work prior to sending the money. I did turn out to be a scam. There are some very nasty people out there. I hope all works out for you.

Martin.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry if I seem repetitive. If you are buying privately there is never ever a need to even send a small amount of money. ( not even if its a dealer) Go see the RV first. They don't sell quickly so it will be there. You may think a 100 dollars isn't much of a risk but it is simply throwing money down the drain because these criminals will take a small deposit off as many people as they can sucker in. And on the flip side if you are selling your RV, never ever ever send money back to the buyer under any circumstances. Alot of crooks will send a very good counterfeit money order or certified cheque and ask you to deposit it in your bank account and then ask you to send some cash back for shipping. The cheque will bounce but not until after you have sent the crook his cash.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #36
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree. Never send money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Sorry if I seem repetitive. If you are buying privately there is never ever a need to even send a small amount of money. ( not even if its a dealer) Go see the RV first. They don't sell quickly so it will be there. You may think a 100 dollars isn't much of a risk but it is simply throwing money down the drain because these criminals will take a small deposit off as many people as they can sucker in. And on the flip side if you are selling your RV, never ever ever send money back to the buyer under any circumstances. Alot of crooks will send a very good counterfeit money order or certified cheque and ask you to deposit it in your bank account and then ask you to send some cash back for shipping. The cheque will bounce but not until after you have sent the crook his cash.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar4simons View Post
I wish my bank would have alerted me to this potential fraud, but nobody said a thing. Thanks for all the posts. I sure wish I would have known about this website earlier. I have actually filed FBI reports in three states; filed a report with my local police and the police department in Victoria, TX; filed a report with Texas Atty General, and the FTC. My local police dept did the best they could, but they don't have jurisdiction in TX. Trying to get Texas PD to pick up their feet and investigate has been a waste of time. FBI says there's not enough $$ to warrant the resources....at this point, there's not much more I can do.
Wow. Radar, I'm so sorry this happened. Yet I can see how it could happen. I looked at that Amazon website and at first glance it looks legit. But I've been getting emails allegedly from big banks, Citibank, B of A, even Amex that are scams but they look legit when you first see them about updating personal information. There's a scammer/thief around every corner.

Thanks for sharing your story and I would sure like to hear you got all your money back. What a swindle! So much cash gone!

I'm feeling for you, and thanking you for sharing this story. I'd call 60 minutes or 20/20 and let them get hold of this story for sure.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #38

Unfortunately we will probably not be trying to buy another RV until springtime. My husband and I were pretty shaken up about it. The real bummer is that we were pre-qualified for a $50,000 RV loan thru Essex credit and because of a refi on a rental property, we didn't want the loan to impact our credit and the refi, so I decided to pull money out of a 401(k) fully planning on returning the money in a month or so. Ouch!!! It's been a hell of a year so far, definitely looking to ringing in a New Year in a couple months. Thanks for your kind words, and obviously I'm not alone. In fact Lincolnboy2, I have already contacted ABC, NBC about perhaps doing a small bit on this scam. I may not be able to find him or get my money back, but the thought of this happening to someone else just fries me up inside. I already made a Facebook page. If you search for Simon's Trucks/Robert Simon Scam, you will see it. Again, spread the word to anyone who will listen about these scammers!!!!
radar4simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will do and you know, those investigative news agencies can be pretty tenacious, especially if they can bring the Law on board and catch someboy, it makes for great ratings, AND might help get you as well. Lets hope (fingers crossed)

I WILL pass along this info to everyone I know.....

It is so hard to get to the point where you have a little money saved then for it to be stolen like that makes it all the worse. I sure feel for you.

Please keep us posted on the status of this.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #40

Thank you and thanks to all for your wonderful thoughts. I will let you all know if I hear anything from any of the networks!!!
radar4simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #41

The latest on Craigslist is by paying through Paypal. They send you a phony paypal email showing their payment is deposited and when you try and transfer the money it doesnt exist. I had my Goldwing motorcycle on Craigslist and all I received were these paypal scam responses.
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Is THIS the dealership you dealt with?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote