Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Internet Scams with Simon's Trucks or R. Simon

I just wanted to alert every forum I can think of about a scam that stole $34,000 from me and my husband. We answered an ad in RV Trader where the rig was supposed to be located in UT. When I called the number it rang into a company called Simon's Truck, Mr. Robert Simon. He said he had a broker in UT that place the ad for him. He proceeded to send me pics and talk about the rig as tho he owned it. He convinced me to put my money in an acct that he couldn't touch at Amazonpayments.com. I did my due diligence called the number they gave me on the fake invoice. I talked to a person who confirmed everything Simon said. So I wire transferred the money to hold the rig and setup an inspection. When inspector got there, there was no rig, no Simon and no Simon's Trucks. This was out of Victoria TX, but he has since moved his scam somewhere else in TX. I am just trying to alert as many people as I can and plan to make a website regarding my scam so maybe I can put this guy out of business for at least a little while. If anybody else has been approached by this scammer please email me at radar4simons@gmail.com. Please pass this post amongst all forums, thanks
radar4simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you post earlier about buying a rig and using Amazon payments?
If you're the same person then you didn't read and head my reply!!

Not sure I can find the thread now but I had a pretty detailed report about Amazon payments and why they couldn't use it for a transaction like this!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Based on first post and awkward language, I would be suspicious of this poster. Smells phishy.

Just sayin'
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

So what is the deal here??
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You just saved me 22k. I was scheduled to wire money on Monday. Same exact sanario you described only this was through Snyder trucks llc. In Houston Texas. Thanks for posting. Pm me if I can do anything for you?
Ken326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Folks, remember the first rule of iRV2... BE NICE. If you have nothing positive to add here, pass on by.

Apparently, this is not the first we have heard of this scheme... https://www.google.com/search?q=amaz...earch=irv2.com
Old 10-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken326 View Post
You just saved me 22k. I was scheduled to wire money on Monday. Same exact sanario you described only this was through Snyder trucks llc. In Houston Texas. Thanks for posting. Pm me if I can do anything for you?
The "anything" YOU can do, since this is still an open deal and the scammer is still on the line, is REPORT it to appropriate authorities - maybe they can catch up with those involved!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never wire any amount of money to someone who you don't know these rigs are a big investment if you can't go see it in person and they ask you to wire money RUN!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't send 10 dollars to hold an Rv. In todays society be suspicious of anyone who asks for money up front.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are plenty of reputable RV dealers doing business on the Internet. Having purchased one through Internet sales from La Mesa RV (YMMV) I can say it can be done successfully and legit. It is perhaps easier when the company has various physical locations across the country - BBB ratings etc. I agree that it's a jungle out there but think the hold amounts in the OPs posts say a lot. Dealers don't need anywhere near those kinds of dollars to hold a unit for a short period - full refund policies if inspection doesn't pan out etc. as the sales guy told me - what's in for me to prep it for you - deliver to Abq - if I thought it wouldn't meet expectations. I had walk through videos - speaking to me directly by name on items I questioned - close ups - pics specifically requested etc.

This summer I had six units marked to go see locally - within a few days all were sale pending and gone. So I cast the net a little further - was careful and the end it paid off. Rig was driven from Cal to Abq New Mexico for delivery - we flew there from DFW to pick it up pending inspection. Stayed a week in area to be sure everything worked - beyond the PDI - stayed near Camping and Wally Worlds and had a blast visiting old friends there. They all wanted to visit in the MH - not their stick and brick cause it was exciting and different for them. 7 of us 1 night with room to dance in the middle.

So dealer put over a 1,000 miles on it getting to Abq and we put another 1,000 + before getting it home. So far so good - and all's well that ends well. Little anxious along the way - but my first local purchase years ago was too.

Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #11

Well, I'm sorry Mr. Bluepill thinks my story is phishy. I wish I were lying and I also wish I would have known about these scams earlier. I had NO idea I was being scammed and I am only trying to alert those -- as one person posted earlier -- hoping to keep someone else from being scammed. I know escrows can be used for many things such as to buy homes and the like and it actually made good sense. I called the number on the "fake" Amazon invoice I got and I talked to somebody who confirmed what the seller told me which I have now found out was a fake number and probably a fake Amazon person. The number is 800-210-0351 for Mr. Doubting Bluepill. It will either play some cheesy Amazon music or tell you the Skype user you have called is not available. I am glad that I alerted at least one person who perhaps won't make the same mistake as I did. I also filed complaints with the Atty General of TX and FBI and my local police, but the FBI has to have a certain $$ amount before they will get involved. So please just pass this on. I'm not scamming or phishing or anything else. I am just an honest person who got screwed!!!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well, I'm sorry Mr. Bluepill thinks my story is phishing
If something sounds to good to be true it is. If someone wants cash up front its usually a scam. Even your story seems unbelievable based on the large sum of cash but I know it happens every day. Don't be offended this is the world we live in.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #13

My husband and I have bought property out of state before and used escrow companies and never been to their businesses and they were completely legit transactions. Everything was handled via email and wire transfer. This is the first time I bought something this big online and I wish I would have done my homework. But hopefully if people just spread the word and everybody is informed, then the scammers will be out of a job and that was my only reason for posting my message, so somebody like Ken doesn't get scammed!!! And you're right, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I think we all get the emails or calls when selling online ( or is it just me?) from people who ask your bottom line, tell you they are to busy to come out and look at your item, they call it an item, they want to send money first, then arrange shipping later,, send you shipping money and then ask you to wire it to a third party. scam ....... if they are from over seas ... scam! if they give you their life story >>scam!! If you tell them you want a certified cheque and that they must wait for it to clear they will hang up or end email contact. scam....