Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #1

Introducing FN-2187 - the build thread

Everyone, my fiance and I (rimfire7) have purchased a 2008 Gulf Stream Bounty Hunter - 381M, now dubbed FN-2187 (or Finn, for short). Even though there's only 25k on the odometer, there are some things that need to be taken care of. My goal is to use this thread to document some of the things we're up to as well as get input from more experienced folks.

Because pics matter, here he sits.

Key areas that are going to be addressed soon, so we can do a better shake-down cruise in April over Easter:

Immediate needs
  • Basic maintenance - oil and filter for the generator and engine (Cummins ISB).
  • Cleaning out the freshwater tanks
  • Thorough cleaning on the inside.
  • Sealing up roof seams, repairing a small tear in the roof.
  • We did check all of the systems and everything that mattered seems to work (except the leveling jacks, more on that to come). But there are a few things that might simply be burned out bulbs and the like.
  • We did have an ABS light on, so Freightliner looked into that and we apparently need new sensors all around, plus one bracket. Probably something I could've done myself, but lack of time and experience means it would take much longer than necessary, so we're paying for that.
  • Our leveling jacks had a sensor go bad, so I'll need to chase that down - this one I'll handle myself (for now).
  • We'll be putting in new smoke/CO2 detectors and a fire extinguisher in the cabin and garage.
  • Stereo is getting replaced - this one wouldn't do Bluetooth, play CDs, and the antenna wasn't hooked up, so we had a long non-musical drive back from Texas to Michigan.
  • I'm also going to be setting it up to tow my Xterra, so a Blue Ox Ascent bar and adapters have been ordered, InvisiBrake system, etc.
  • The headlights are the suck, so I'm going to polish up the lenses initially, just to make that better. I'm also going to go with LEDs in there as soon as I can. Really didn't like the lack of brightness at night.
  • A few of the other exterior lights had some small issues - on bulb in the strip is out, cracked lens covers, etc. I'll try to address as many of those as I can.
  • The awning will open, albeit slowly. It needs help to close. Hoping that simply lubricating it will address that, but I might need to do something else.
  • The ladder is missing a bolt in hook on the top - I want to replace that so I don't feel like I'm going to die when I head up to the roof.
  • R&R some cabinet/drawer latches for those that aren't working, reattach any struts or cables that are loose.
  • Make sure the motorcycles are set to be strapped down. They've got attachment points in there, but I want to get the bikes up in there and test them.
  • Build out a location for my tool box - because no way am I traveling without tools.
  • Get a spare in there

It's kind of a long list, but a bunch of them are maybe an hour's worth of work, so I think a busy weekend will handle a bunch of the tasks.

This summer - we've got two 2 week trips planned for the summer (Moab and our wedding), so having these done prior to those (plus whatever our shake-down cruise identifies) will make everything more comfortable.
  • We did have water intrusion at two spots. One is the tear from above that should be handled by Eternabond tape. The other is at the front of the slider and has damaged the wood trim on the slider. I'll R&R the trim (we're planning an interior remodel anyway) after I properly diagnose and ensure the leak is fixed. I believe what happened here was that the slider was out during Florida or Oklahoma rains, water snuck in and did its damage. Yes, it did also do some work in a small spot of the floor which will get repaired when we upgrade the flooring.
  • A few of the covers (AC, some of the vents) have some damage and I'll look to get replacement covers for them.
  • The thermostats seem to be wonky. They'll turn on the furnace or AC, when we run the temp well past where it should be. I'm wondering if these can simply be replaced or if there's something else I should do.
  • The thing squeaks and rattles - some of this is normal (11 years old and all), but we need to chase down a few of the more annoying ones and fix them.
  • The screen door is broken. Try as I might, I'm having trouble sourcing an entire door. Once I do that, it's an easy fix - but until then...
  • Build a custom dog bed-crate deal for the puppers. Should function as a useful countertop, too.

Remodel Ideas
  • New fridge
  • Actual oven instead of the convection/microwave combo
  • Replace the dining area with something better
  • New flooring - carpet and vinyl tile (the good stuff)
  • New countertops
  • Fireplace
  • Eliminate many of the TVs - we really only need two. One inside, one outside.
  • HAM and CB - I plan on setting the antennas up to be the exact height of the highest point. That way I can use them as gauges if there's ever a question.
  • Maybe even an exterior repaint
  • Spruce up the current cabinets - might be as simple as painting them, maybe R&R.
  • Tankless hot water heater

This will be one hell of a project, but we'd like to do full-time for a year at some point, so everything's working towards an end goal.
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #2

Welcome to forum, looks like coach is very close to needing a tag axle, lots of over hang.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

That Rig is a Beast. Would love to see some interior pics
Old 03-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Welcome to forum, looks like coach is very close to needing a tag axle, lots of over hang.
That is quite a bustle, ain't it. Wouldn't want to be in a car next to you at the light when you're turning right. I'd be skeered.[emoji54]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anymore pictures of it?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've seen most every coach in my 45 years of RVing, but have never seen that model before. just found on online at Lazy Daze with a lot of photos. It looks like a lot of coach built into one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #7

Most of the interior pics I would've had came from the dealer's site and he's taken the listing down. I'll try to get some more when it's back from the shop - especially given that we plan on re-doing the interior. Documenting what it looks like for pre- and post- pics is a given.

And yeah, there's a slight overhang in the back. So far it's not too much of an issue, just have to be cognizant of it when turning. However, with the turning radius, I can definitely walk it around a corner pretty easily by popping out a bit further and cranking the hell out of the wheel.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #8

You sound a lot like my wife and I (younger couple getting into RVing in their 30’s). We have done a LOT of work to our new-to-us Class A.

Obviously up to you guys, but we have an oven and haven’t used in once. We use the microwave as a microwave. I have a griddle that we bought that is amazing for everything (breakfast and grilling). We also travel with an Instapot; well worth it. We are debating a large toaster oven, but haven’t found the need yet. Recommendations for cooking are use the grill, use the bags for the instapot, and overall look for easy clean up cooking. We also like foil packs. That’s just what has worked well for us.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride! You’ll make it your own eventually [emoji57]
Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #9

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Just wondering how tall that beast is?
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
You sound a lot like my wife and I (younger couple getting into RVing in their 30’s). We have done a LOT of work to our new-to-us Class A.

Obviously up to you guys, but we have an oven and haven’t used in once. We use the microwave as a microwave. I have a griddle that we bought that is amazing for everything (breakfast and grilling). We also travel with an Instapot; well worth it. We are debating a large toaster oven, but haven’t found the need yet. Recommendations for cooking are use the grill, use the bags for the instapot, and overall look for easy clean up cooking. We also like foil packs. That’s just what has worked well for us.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride! You’ll make it your own eventually [emoji57]
Oddly enough, we own an Instapot. The issue for us is that we both like to cook, so I can see us using all sorts of different things - and we're both bull-headed enough that when we want something, we're going to do what it takes to get it. Since food's included in that, I suspect we'll probably end up using everything we get.

For the time-being, though, our microwave has a convection and bake feature built in, so we can do small stuff in there - but we won't be able to toast things with a broiler. Plus, for a grill, I've a feeling we'll be lugging a Weber charcoal one around (and maybe a propane one - I'll have to figure out how to plumb it to the main tank) because I'm a huge fan of charcoal and meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
Just wondering how tall that beast is?
Right at 13' - maybe an inch or so taller.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #11

GulfStream Bounty Hunter

Similar unit was just talked about a bunch here and elsewhere after being driven into a lake by a dog...

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaprhys View Post
Oddly enough, we own an Instapot. The issue for us is that we both like to cook, so I can see us using all sorts of different things - and we're both bull-headed enough that when we want something, we're going to do what it takes to get it. Since food's included in that, I suspect we'll probably end up using everything we get.

For the time-being, though, our microwave has a convection and bake feature built in, so we can do small stuff in there - but we won't be able to toast things with a broiler. Plus, for a grill, I've a feeling we'll be lugging a Weber charcoal one around (and maybe a propane one - I'll have to figure out how to plumb it to the main tank) because I'm a huge fan of charcoal and meat.

Right at 13' - maybe an inch or so taller.

Man, if we were closer, we’d be friends [emoji57]. We also love charcoal. We try to find campgrounds that provide a charcoal grill so we just have to carry the charcoal itself. You will also find certain venues or campgrounds that prohibit charcoal (we’re big football fans and a lot of SEC RV spots prohibit anything but propane). Upon doing lots of research, we settled on the griddle. While I don’t get the nice lines in a steak, the versatility and ease of cleaning are what sold us there.

I’ve done quite a few maintenance items and fixes myself. I enjoy working on ours and making it our own. If I can be of any help, let me know. Best of luck and remember to enjoy it!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
GulfStream Bounty Hunter

Similar unit was just talked about a bunch here and elsewhere after being driven into a lake by a dog...
Hmmm. The inner vulture in me just spread its wings. I need a few solid parts that'd be undamaged by the water...

Wonder where that happened.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #14

From my recollection, the dog "drove the motorhome" into Sam Rayburn Reservoir in Texas and the guy was from somewhere Tennessee.

However, even though it was a toy hauler, I think somebody here on the forum said it was a Safari Simba.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote