Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Inverter

Hello out there, should my inverter be on when I'm hook to electricity, I have a dp discovery and my 2 12vlt battery could not start the motor, bought new one they were old anyway, original from 1999. Just like to know to preserve the new one. Thk for the info.
elang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elang View Post
Hello out there, should my inverter be on when I'm hook to electricity, I have a dp discovery and my 2 12vlt battery could not start the motor, bought new one they were old anyway, original from 1999. Just like to know to preserve the new one. Thk for the info.
elang
If/when you have shore, or genset, power there is no reason to have the inverter on.
Your house batteries will charge if the inverter portion of your inverter/charger is on or off, (provided that all your "charge" settings are correct).

NOTE:
Often coaches are NOT wired so that the inverter/charger charges the chassis, (aka: starting) battery!

Accessory/add on chargers are available and a good idea if your chassis/starting battery is causing problems.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi elang,
When the coach is in use, my inverter has been on since I purchased the coach (05). I see no reason to turn it off. The most difficult task an electrical appliance has to do is turn on/boot up. The inverter should have a bypass mode. When connected to shore power or the generator is running the inverter is not inverting. It is in a standby mode. Having the inverter on, also helps if there is a power failure. The appliances connected to a circuit powered by the inverter just keep on going.

For me, I'm looking for ways to take items off my list of things to remember.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

Inverter

Tanks for all your good advice, I will leave it on from now on, the previous owner has told us to turn it off when we were on power post.
elang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
There is no point in leaving it on unless it has to be on for all the electrical appliances to work. On my coach all things electric run when plugged in to shore power with the inverter off. Therefore, it stays off until I have no AC power and need it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
On our coach if we do not have the inverter on even while hooked into shore power then most of the outlets and things will not work therefore we have the inverter on almost all the time.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
The inverter does not interface with the start batteries.

A 14 year old starting battery failed? And you want a longer life from the next one?

You sir, should be teaching us!
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
A 14 year old starting battery failed? And you want a longer life from the next one?

You sir, should be teaching us!
I am following this thread with interest as I am wondering if I can leave our inverter on overnight when dry camping with no worries of battery drain. ( no remote inside the coach).
The OP did not say that he wanted longer then 14 years just wants advice on inverter usage that wont prematurely kill the new batteries. At least thats the way I read it.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I am following this thread with interest as I am wondering if I can leave our inverter on overnight when dry camping with no worries of battery drain. ( no remote inside the coach). The OP did not say that he wanted longer then 14 years just wants advice on inverter usage that wont prematurely kill the new batteries. At least thats the way I read it.
The inverter has battery drain when on even if no AC devices are on in the coach. If fact , most inverters have a small battery draw even when off. I turn inverter off at night and other times not needed when dry camping.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your coach does not need the inverter on when connected to shore power then I suggest to turn it off. No specific reason functionally, just why have it on if not being used.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
I am following this thread with interest as I am wondering if I can leave our inverter on overnight when dry camping with no worries of battery drain. ( no remote inside the coach).
The OP did not say that he wanted longer then 14 years just wants advice on inverter usage that wont prematurely kill the new batteries. At least thats the way I read it.
I leave my inverter on all the time, one reason I have a residential frig. When at a camp ground and ready to leave and turn off the power my frig stays on nothing to think about, and while going down the road my alternator charges the house batteries. The one thing I am going to install is the Energy Command AutoStart EC-30W that way the house batteries never go dead when dry camping.

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My next job is to buy a remote and figure a way to wire it from the compartment into the bedroom. Tired of going outside to turn the inverter off at bedtime.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
My next job is to buy a remote and figure a way to wire it from the compartment into the bedroom. Tired of going outside to turn the inverter off at bedtime.
Don't you have one of these if you have the Xantrex inverter
Basic Remote Panel
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

And if we turned ours off we would not have power to most of the coach, yes even hooked to shore power. That is the way ours was wired from the factory.

Tags
inverter