Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Inverter

Xantrex Freedom 450 inverter

I have a 2006 Fleetwood 39L Excursion. I was having inverter Problems not charging batteries. Took it to local rv service center and they stated that the inverter was bad. $1000 for new one plus install fee. Checked prices and yes that was the going rate. Told them to hold off and took rv home. I was telling a friend of mine about the situation and he said to let a buddy of his look at it first who is a Fleetwood service Guy and was very good with electronics. When he arrived he removed the inverter cover and replace a .59 cent fuse and the inverter fired up and started doing its job. He stated that he must have 500 of the fuses in his truck because that is usually the issue. He worked for a dealer once and was told to replace inverters not fuses... Just a fyi...Always good to ask someone else before spending that hard earned money
Rgtopda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Always good to know your equipment .

Any mention of that fuse in your inverter owners manual ?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgtopda View Post
Xantrex Freedom 450 inverter

I have a 2006 Fleetwood 39L Excursion. I was having inverter Problems not charging batteries. Took it to local rv service center and they stated that the inverter was bad. $1000 for new one plus install fee. Checked prices and yes that was the going rate. Told them to hold off and took rv home. I was telling a friend of mine about the situation and he said to let a buddy of his look at it first who is a Fleetwood service Guy and was very good with electronics. When he arrived he removed the inverter cover and replace a .59 cent fuse and the inverter fired up and started doing its job. He stated that he must have 500 of the fuses in his truck because that is usually the issue. He worked for a dealer once and was told to replace inverters not fuses... Just a fyi...Always good to ask someone else before spending that hard earned money
Don't-cha just love it when things come out like this? These rolling Kleenex boxes of ours cost us enough to operate and have fun in without blindly spending on things we don't know enough about to helps us make wise decisions. Glad he/you caught that. Now, you can take that $999.41 and go apply it to fuel and campground site fees for a nice, adventurous trip.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

You know if prices were reasonable and fair, I wouldn't mind spending a little more of my hard earned dollars at shops, or for parts and accessories. Maybe 1 day the will learn...[emoji848]
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

No,,,But the service tech did. that was the first thing he mentioned skip426
Old 05-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #6

You are right fire-up the savings has allowed us to get our tickets to Bristol for the nascar race in August. WOOP WOOP
Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #7

A minor point of on-going education...

An INVERTER does not charge batteries. It converts 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Connected to a campground power pedistal or your RV generator is running the converter it changes 120 Volt AC power to 12 Volt DC and supplies power to the RV's 12v circuits and charges the RV batteries. An inverter does the inverse. Inverters take 12VDC from the batteries and change it to 120VAC.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post

An INVERTER does not charge batteries. It converts 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC.
BUT, a lot of the larger inverters ( those of 2000 watts and more ) are inverters/converters/chargers, all in the one box.
Seems the name converter/charger was shortened to just converter a number of years ago and it looks like just calling the unit an inverter is the new normal; even though inverting may not be it's only function.
As mentioned by; A Traveler ; in some cases you have to know exactly what your individual inverter does on an model by model basis.
Get the manual , read the manual .
Get to know your RV inside out , it'll save you time and $$$$.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Mine does have the built in battery charger. It keeps my batteries charged while plugged in. A-traveler you are correct I forgot to mention that it does have in small print Inverter/Charger

Tags
inverter