Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Inverter and a Residential Fridge.

Just want to ask before we try camping in a campground without power service. We just bought a unit with a residential fridge and I'd like to know how long the batteries will run it.(inverted of course) 2 house batteries, 6 volt, deep cycle, 120 res min. I don't want to run the gen day and night. Thx.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Just want to ask before we try camping in a campground without power service. We just bought a unit with a residential fridge and I'd like to know how long the batteries will run it.(inverted of course) 2 house batteries, 6 volt, deep cycle, 120 res min. I don't want to run the gen day and night. Thx.
I don't know what fridge you have, the size of your inverter, the outside temperature, ect.

I have a Haier 10.3 cubic foot fridge, 2000 inverter/charger, 3 TV's/receivers and some misc. 110 volt draws. I have 4 each 6 volt golf cart batteries and I moniture them with a amp hour/voltage meter.

With the fridge on at night (doors closed), inverter on, all tv's and receivers on standby it uses approximately 10 amps dc per hour.

Using that information with your 2 batteries that have a usage reserve of approx. 100 amp hours (50% of your 200 capacity) you should be good for approx. 10 hours before recharging.

These are estimates and it a best guess.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Your refrigerator power usage will vary depending on conditions. Is the door being opened and closed or left closed all the time? Is the refrigerator full of food (better) or mostly empty? Is the ambient temperature 60 degrees F or 90 degrees F? The answer to your question depends on the circumstances.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

You also need to take in consideration the condition of the batteries.

I believe many people are disappointed in there run time, without realizing there batteries are near the end of usable life.

Every time you cycle them or abuse use them, they lose some capacity.

This is why monitoring their performance is important.

Set up a test at home. Charge them full overnight, turn it on for 10 hours, turn it off and check voltage. 12.0 is about how low you want to go.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two 6v batteries as you realize is minimal setup. While I don't think you will be using generator continually you will be firing it up more than the more common couple hours in the morning and again in the evening. But you should be able to run on batteries through the night quiet period start to stop, if no other sizable draws. Overall your answer much depends on other draws, weather, etc.

Try it and see how it goes. The decide the need to add battery capacity.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Two 6v batteries as you realize is minimal setup. While I don't think you will be using generator continually you will be firing it up more than the more common couple hours in the morning and again in the evening. But you should be able to run on batteries through the night quiet period start to stop, if no other sizable draws. Overall your answer much depends on other draws, weather, etc.

Try it and see how it goes. The decide the need to add battery capacity.
Thx. Yeah, just wanted ball park. I don't know what the weather will be, up there it could be 75 degrees or 50. Was more interested in knowing if it might make it thru the night, average amount of food in it. Sorry, I don't know the energy draw. I was a little surprised that a res fridge was in a unit with only 2 GC batteries. Unit is new, so batteries should be new condition. I'll test once I get it out of storage.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
..........I was a little surprised that a res fridge was in a unit with only 2 GC batteries. Unit is new, so batteries should be new condition. I'll test once I get it out of storage.
You're surprised? Just picked up our new Montana with res. fridge last week. Unit came with one 12v "marine/rv" battery. I told the dealer I wasn't accepting the unit with only one battery. They did add another of the same; I knew they weren't going to spring for golf cart batteries. While reviewing the owner's manual I noticed Keystone believes one 12v battery will run the 18cf Samsung fridge for about 12 hours. I think that's wishful thinking, because I hope to maybe get 12 hours with both batteries.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I am considering staying in my coach in the driveway for a night or two to find out the same thing before I have to do it for real. Might want to try it yourself.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
I'm hoping my 4-6v golf cart batteries will last me 12 hours... based on a lot of measuring.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #10

Make sure fridge doesnt have a defrost cycle and turn off the ice maker as a minimum. Two bats [100 useable amp hours] isnt very much. Most inverters are somewhat inefficient when inverting--ie, they have a fair amount of overhead--keeping the hum going and cooling fans running. Even if the fridge is between cooling cycles an isnt pulling max amps, the inverter will be "consuming" amp/hrs......and....unless the inverter is dedicated to just the fridge, numerous other appliances in the rig will have phantom draws that will deplete your bats....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #11

If equipped with ice maker, definately turn it off!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
I'm hoping my 4-6v golf cart batteries will last me 12 hours... based on a lot of measuring.
I have a 11 cf whirlpool fridge. I use (4) 6 volt house batteries along with a 2000 watt inverter and I can run fridge for 24 hrs. and still only be down about half charge.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #13

I have a 24 cf Whirlpool fridge. On average, it uses 6-7 amps/hr. with the ice maker off. Add 1.5 amps for that device. The inverter overhead probably adds another amp to that. We have turned the fridge off overnight to save power with no appreciable warming. Keeping the door closed saves quite a bit of power. Use a Kill-a-Watt on your appliance to get a good reading. That's what I did. Keep in mind that to preserve your batteries, you can only use 50% of their capacity. If your batteries are like mine, you have 200 amps (50% of 400 amps) available or about 25 hrs with the fridge alone. Subtract any other power consumption from that time.

Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter