Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #1

Inverter/Battery problems--confused

We have never really been able to figure out our inverter/charging battery problems. We have a Pure sine 2000 inverter...we keep the rv plugged in at home all winter and when not in use. We bought it last fall and found the house batteries were bad so we purchased new ones in December and took a trip and everything was fine. IT's been plugged in and we have tried to take a couple small trips recently and when we unplug it--it shows our house batteries are dead.. On our last trip--we only had lights and no other power--even while driving--which power is supposed to be supplied through the batteries while engine running but nothing..Are we doing something wrong while it's plugged in at home with the inverter settings?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could use more info. Is Pure Sine the mgr or just the type of inv.? Model # would help. I found a Pure Sine 2000 it does not have a charger for the battery!
also the make year and model of the RV.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #3

Your 'converter' is the device that keeps your house batteries charged when plugged into shore power. An 'inverter' provides 120Vac from the batteries for a couple of outlets. If yours is a converter/inverter, then it's probably designed to charge up your batteries safely, with little boiling of the electrolyte (if it's set right). If it's very old (you don't mention the year of your RV and Pure Sine 2000 Inverter isn't a brand name), then it's circuitry might be boiling out the batteries in short order.

If you haven't been doing regular battery maintenance, like checking water level, it's pretty easy to ruin a battery.

So, if you could give us more info about your rig and converter brand, that would help us help you.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

1996 Monaco Dynasty, RS2000 Pure Sine Inverter-Charger, when it's plugged in--it shows AC input light but it's not charging the battery now I guess??
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARONDENISE
1996 Monaco Dynasty, RS2000 Pure Sine Inverter-Charger, when it's plugged in--it shows AC input light but it's not charging the battery now I guess??
Its a xantrex with charger.
My boss has one of these in his mh.
You have to program it to charge with the remote display.
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

That inverter has a built in charger but it can be turned on and off. I suspect it is turned off.

Here is the manual for that inverter. You will need to go thru the setup menue and make sure that the charger is in fact turned on.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...-01_Rev-A).pdf
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I first read the original post I read "Pure Sine" as "Prosine" which is a now discontinued Xantrex line.. As it happens I have one.

First: if your inverter can be programmed, Make sure it is set for the type of battery you have.

Second: WATCH that volt meter (Battery Volts), I found mine creaping up into the way too high range (16 volts) which is one of the reasons I don't often use it as my converter.

Third, make sure batteries are actually CONNECTED to the house (Though my inverter is hard wired to them the house (rest of the house) can be "Disconnected" via a relay/solenoid) More on that if you need.

Finally clean all connections.

On my rig there is a USE/STORE switch, a 3 position rocker (Spring return to neutral) it operates a latching solenoid, the swith failed on me and would not go back into the USE mode. This meant the batteries were still connected to the Prosine, but not to the rest of the house. Not to the engine and not to the other converter on board.

Some rigs have a pair of switches marked MAIN and AUX.. th AUX is the one that counts. Some.. Well, There are many ways to mark the switch including just plain ON/OFF.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

Please excuse my ignorance. We purchased a 1995 Newmar Mountain Aire and having the same issues. We are not new to RV's, but our 5th wheel didn't have the bells and whistles as this does. My problem is:

Plugged the Class A into 110 on Sunday, Monday night went outside and there is no electric going to the refrigerator plus batteries were dead. I checked the extension cord and there is power to extension cord. The batteries are brand new. What may be the problem? The motorhome is not completely level in our driveway, but have parked the 5th wheel in same place and refrigerator always worked so I don't think it is a level issue.

When we purchased the motorhome we didn't get very good instructions, can someone answer these:

1. When should the convertor be ON and when should it be OFF, it is a Heart Interface Freedom 20 inverter /battery charger.

2. Any ideas on why the 110v works for a while on the referigerator, then shuts off.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinmapa
Please excuse my ignorance. We purchased a 1995 Newmar Mountain Aire and having the same issues. We are not new to RV's, but our 5th wheel didn't have the bells and whistles as this does. My problem is:

Plugged the Class A into 110 on Sunday, Monday night went outside and there is no electric going to the refrigerator plus batteries were dead. I checked the extension cord and there is power to extension cord. The batteries are brand new. What may be the problem? The motorhome is not completely level in our driveway, but have parked the 5th wheel in same place and refrigerator always worked so I don't think it is a level issue.

When we purchased the motorhome we didn't get very good instructions, can someone answer these:

1. When should the convertor be ON and when should it be OFF, it is a Heart Interface Freedom 20 inverter /battery charger.

2. Any ideas on why the 110v works for a while on the referigerator, then shuts off.
I just replaced the same unit on my bosses mh. The converter was junk.
Came on for 5 minutes went off for 20 or more. Then back on for 5 and again off for 20.
Installed a new xantrex all is good.
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #10

Cruisinmapa, I would respectfully suggest you start your own tread. You'll get more eyes looking at your questions.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #11

thank you, will do