Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inverter/charger being stubborn

I have a Magnum pure sine inverter/charger. I had some issue recently where it was not charging when plugged into 50amp service at the house and I thought it was the surge protector at the time. So I did not use surge protector and plugged direct to 50 amp service and it starting charging again.

Still plugged into 50 amp service direct to house. Today I notice the ME-RC remote indicated the either full or bulk charge, can’t Remember for sure but looked ok in any case. So I opened the slides and ran a couple heaters. Turned off heaters and closed slides. I noticed the remote saying inverting 13.5v. Waited about 15 minutes and checked again and it said inverting 13.3 v. Nothing about charging. So I unplugged the 50 amp service (which was direct to house) waited a few seconds and then plugged in again. Heaven be praised the remote showed it was charging again. So I did my happy dance, closed the door and did not look back. Has anyone had anything similar happen? I am wondering if my Transfer switch is having an issue? The weather is cold here not sure if that would do anything.

Thanks for your thoughts.
CP
blackhawkscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #2

We have a magnum 2812 that came in our new to us coach. I really like how it works and the interface is easy to use. So with that said.

The lower left button is for your inverter to turn and off. Check and see if inverter is off. Manually turn it off. There is a setting in the menu for automatic inverter turn at a certain voltage demand from the ac side. I have this disabled as I don't want it inverting when it is just parked or something like that draining the batteries. You can change that in the menu. Anyway turn off inverter and make sure charger is turned on, top left button or so. That should keep charger on and inverter off. Check those two settings and let us know. I can breeze through the manual online and let you know how ours is set up. I had to change the charge rate as I burned up a battery as I had the charge rate set too high for two batteries, ouch.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #3

If the unit is receiving shore power it will be in charge mode, unless you intentionally switched it off. It doesn't seem that you did.

If it switchs to invert, which means that section is also on and working, its doing that because its not seeing shore power.

Is it possible that the MH has a built in surge protector, that is switching the shore power on and off ?

It could also be a load sheading / sharing system that is sensing low power from your shore cord and causing the inverter to power up.

I would re-install the portable surge guard and watch the indicator lights to see if its cutting the power under some conditions.

If its a 50 amp service, installed at your house, an oven, stove, water heater or dryer could be dragging down the voltage, if they are running.

It just doesn't sound like an inverter issue.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #4

The magnum has a setting where you set the amperage draw and it will turn on the inverter when it sees a load and turn off when load stops. This way you can leave it on and it will turn on and off on it's own. I have this feature disabled as I just prefer to turn it on and off when needed. We have a ton of electronics, as we all do these days and just prefer to turn it manually on and off. If this setting is low enough it may be cycling on its own.

I also had our batteries wired incorrectly and wasn't getting full power and was constantly getting low power warning. I have corrected that and now have great power and may try the automatic setting again.

I am attaching the owners manual for the ms2812. No it won't let me. You can view it online or download it from magnums site easily if you don't have one.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkscp View Post
... So I opened the slides and ran a couple heaters. Turned off heaters and closed slides. I noticed the remote saying inverting 13.5v. Waited about 15 minutes and checked again and it said inverting 13.3 v. Nothing about charging...
CP
typically, the ME-RC panel will only show INVERTING, since that is the Inverter 'at work' providing 120v from the batteries, which of course means that it can NOT be charging at the same time.

now, it sounds like something caused the coach to lose it's 50a power, therefore switching over to Inverting... could it have been 'running out the slides', or 'using several heaters'.... doubtful, as 50a service would have little to do with slides(?), and should easily handle several heaters...

even if your 50a power was lost for a moment, it would/should be restored to the coach whenever it was again available, automatically...

so,
I would just throw out a guess that it 'could be' your Shore Power cord's connection to the 50a power supply, since you regained power once you unplugged/replugged the connection. It could be either a loose connector at the end of the shore cord, a loose connection in the 50a outlet, etc... or even a loose ground/neutral within the 50a supply.
Some folks with cord reels also have reported issues with power, due to a loose/faulty cord reel connection at the coach end.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a follow up on my posts with charging and magnum remote issues. Turns out We had a bad transfer switch which had to be replaced.
blackhawkscp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter