Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Inverter Dead: Replace with Same or Different?

Hello! I have a coach (details below) we bought 18 months ago and the Xantrex XM1800 Inverter is shot and needs replacing. My question is this... why would we replace it with another Xantrex XM1800 if there may be a better produced Inverter out there?

Does anyone know of a good comp to the Xantrex XM1800 that may have been built better with a better track record and/or warranty, etc?

Inverters are way out of my area of understanding... but I know we need to replace it now.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you and love the forum! Kevin

2016 Thor Outlaw 37LS (50 amp system)
Xantrex XM1800 Inverter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

Not sure what xantrex offers but they are a go to brand here. Anything else may have a problem matching your remote control panel.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Not sure what xantrex offers but they are a go to brand here. Anything else may have a problem matching your remote control panel.
Well that is true the control panel inside the RV is also the Xantrex XM1800.

Is there a better model than the Xantrex XM1800?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #4

Xantrex and Magnum are the most widely used in the industry. If it were me I would replace with the same make so that it would work with your existing controler and monitor.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Do NOT replace with the same model. That is built using the much older MSW (Modified Sine Wave) Technology. PSW (Pure Sine Wave) is the current technology, which is more efficient and doesn't burn up electrical devices with delicate electronics. Many people have burnt up devices because of MSW's (electric blankets, coffee pots, clocks, refrigerator electronics, etc).

You should look at something similar to a Magnum MS2000 as a comparison.

Google this and read up on the problems with MSW. Here's an article as an example:

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/...he-difference/

For reference purposes, here is doc on your current model:
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...ork)%20(1).pdf

Do you have a separate converter (makes 12vdc from 120vac, to re-charge your house batteries)?

A device like the Magnum MS2000 is an integrated unit, which includes inverter/converter/transfer switch, which runs seamlessly. Any circuits plugged in will run off shorepower if shorepower is available, or switches automatically to inverter power if not. The converter side is a 4 stage charger, which efficiently charges and maintains batteries. You use a RC-50 as the remote controller.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Neither choice is wrong. It depends on your objective. Are you trying to get your coach going in the quickest, easist and cheapest way? Then replace the Xantrex.

Do you want to upgrade the system? Then a Pure Sine Wave inverter would be a good choice, but this choice may involve replacing some of the connected equipment (such as Control panel or AGS unit) and will require rewiring and possibly running new wires which could be difficult.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Neither choice is wrong. It depends on your objective. Are you trying to get your coach going in the quickest, easist and cheapest way? Then replace the Xantrex.

Do you want to upgrade the system? Then a Pure Sine Wave inverter would be a good choice, but this choice may involve replacing some of the connected equipment (such as Control panel or AGS unit) and will require rewiring and possibly running new wires which could be difficult.
I see your point here... the PSW inverter sounds like a better system, but perhaps it would be more cost effective to replace the same Xantrex.

Another question... when do I use the Inverter and when do I NOT use the inverter. Should I power off the inverter every time Im plugged into shore power? What about when running the generator?

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #8

In today's world with all the electronics, incl. cellphone and laptop/tablet charging a 'Pure Sine Wave Inverter' is a must, not an option.
IMO, Xantrex and Magnum are good brands, and if it means you have to replace the remote panel you can most likely still use the same control wire.
We have a Xantrex Freedom 3000 with an automatic transfer switch, the inverter is always on standby and takes over when needed.
Without an automatic transfer switch I would only turn the inverter on when needed, why convert incoming ac to dc, run it through the batteries and then convert it back to ac power.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybluegrass View Post
Hello! I have a coach (details below) we bought 18 months ago and the Xantrex XM1800 Inverter is shot and needs replacing. My question is this... why would we replace it with another Xantrex XM1800 if there may be a better produced Inverter out there?

Does anyone know of a good comp to the Xantrex XM1800 that may have been built better with a better track record and/or warranty, etc?

Inverters are way out of my area of understanding... but I know we need to replace it now.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you and love the forum! Kevin

2016 Thor Outlaw 37LS (50 amp system)
Xantrex XM1800 Inverter
Kybluegrass,
Well Sir, before you go spending ANY money on a new inverter, the very first thing you need to do is, find out why, an inverter in a 2016 year coach, went south in the first place? Many, many of us have gotten years and year out of ours. And, it doesn't matter what the brand was/is. Our original one was a Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/charger. We got 11 years out of that one before the charging side of it quit. The inverting side worked just fine.

But, we did a bit of digging and, yes I could have had ours rebuilt but, based on a lucky deal the ever diligent wife found, we installed a 6 month old Magnum 2012SE and, it's been great.

Now, per the instructions to go PSW vs MSW. Well, that's a matter of opinion. You need to know just what PSW is and MSW is. A very, VERY large percentage of older and new coaches come with MSW Inverter/Chargers. They work just fine. There are certain electrical components out there that may require PSW input. Things like certain electric blanket controllers and others. We've been using MSW for oh, about 6 years now, (that's as long as we've owned the coach) the Dimensions and the Magnum and, nothing's gone wrong with any of our electric items we use on a constant basis yet. I just installed two brand new LED TVs, one large one in the front and a smaller one in the rear bedroom and, both work outstanding off our present MSW Magnum.

Our computers work great off of it too. One more thing, if all of your appliances in your coach, have worked nicely with your present MSW unit, then they'll work nicely with ANOTHER one. Again, what you have to do is, warrant the cost of a PSW in terms of just what in your coach either requests or DEMANDS PSW input. Your choice. If you look up a PSW Inverter/Charger and then look up a MSW unit of basically the same innards, you'll find the PSW is considerably more. Don't get me wrong here, I'd get one in a heart beat if any of my appliances or components needed or demanded it.

But, in our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, that's approaching or at 13 years old and not ONE appliance or electrical component has EVER been damaged due to the use of a MSW Inverter/charger, then that's why we went with the one we have, again, your choice.

As for your question on when to use it, leave it on or not, well, you'll have varying opinions on that too. Ours is NEVER on unless we need it. An Inverter/Charger is two things. It INVERTS 12VDC into 120VAC so you can use whatever appliances are wired into its output. But, there's a CHARGER side of it too. And that means, you'll get battery charging out of it for your house batteries. Some coaches are wired such that, your chassis batteries are piggy backed charged too. You'd have to investigate that part to see if yours does.

In reality, you don't need your Inverter/Charger to be on, unless you need it . The charger side will do it's job of charging your house batteries WITHOUT the Inverter/Charger on. On many, you can turn the Charging side off too. That's done if needed. I'm not an expert on this but, in many Inverter/Chargers, that charging side will be a stepped system. Meaning that, when your house batteries are down in voltage, and you plug into shore power or run the generator, the charger side of that Inverter/charger will go into high gear and shove a whole ton of amperage into your house batteries to get them back up to a mid level.

Then, the charger goes into the mid level state of charging. It will do that for long enough to get them to a float range. Then the charger goes into the float range to keep them topped off. So, hope some of this has helped. Good luck on your research. Again, I'd sure like to know why an Inverter/charger that was so young, gave up the ghost in the first place.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced mine with a new Magnum ME2012. Also replaced the remote on the inside. In my research the Magnum had great reviews.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would replace it with a larger one if it will fit. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TMC uses the Xantrex 1800 because it is common and inexpensive for what it is expected to do (just powers the 'fridge, TV's and 1 outlet).

MSW or PSW is up to you. Pure is not "newer," but it is better for sensitive electronics that do not have a power transformer (like most all electronics now have).

Trying to find the failure will just be an evolution of effort. These electronics fail for many, many reasons. They are "remove and replace" - not really repairable due to cost.
BUT, if there is a chance that the failure is simply a popped breaker or burned fuse...be sure to check that first.

We used the failure of our inverter to upgrade capacity with a 3000W unit that is "whole house" excepting the AirCon - of course. We can run the microwave and even the Mrs. blowdryer with it
The down-side to upgrade is the project becomes much more than "remove and replace"

CONGRATS on the new Outlaw.
Hope you come add your ID here:
List of Outlaw Owners

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #13

I'm with Fire Up on this. I'd like to know why a 2 year old inverter has gone bad. Nice write up by the way. Our 17 year old Trace RV2012 is still going strong. Trace is now called Xantrex. I did upgrade the remote from the RC6 to the RC7 which gives much more control over what the inverter does and what the remote displays.

PSW inverters were installed on higher end coaches back when ours were built but our MSW works fine. If and when our 2000 watt inverter dies I will replace it with the same one. Even though these inverters have not been built in several years, there are several companies that rebuild them and keep them in stock. The changeover would be simple and straight forward, well within my abilities.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

if your usage is moderate, i would recommend magnum ms2012. it's a psw inverter with built-in load protectors. if you want to go higher task, ms3012 is a good one. again if you want to go extreme, get a ms4448pae, which is a 48v inverter, 4400w, outputs both 120v and 240v (two 120v legs with phase 180 deg off). bottomline - get a psw.

Tags
ace, inverter, replace