Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #15

Perhaps I am better to go with this 800 amp power box from Canadian Tire. Just plug the shore power inlet to it and use for my 6 hrs driving and recharge when get to the campsite? Saves the whole alternator thing..just need heavy gauge plugin for it?
Eliminator PowerBox 800 | Canadian Tire

Do you think I'd get enough juice for any period of time out of that? Its on sale for $139.00 I'd only need a max of 6 hours juice until we stop to camp.

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #16

Okay, I've been checking the posts to see what might work best for my needs.

If the motomaster eliminator powerbox 800amp wont work (thinkin not enough power? but not sure) Perhaps I can get two 12 volt car batteries (likely free from friend). Hook the 1500amp inverter directly to that and trickle charge the batteries back up when I reach my destination? Likely only about 6-7 hours of straight driving at any one time. I've got an empty storage compartment at the back of my MH directly below the main house power in--I'd just plug that cord into the inverter. No worries about messing with possible alternator problems?

Once again..any direction is greatly appreciated. Just thinkin this might save me pulling things apart trying to get a heavy duty cord from the generator battery and extra battery at front all the way to the house input at the back. I'd just put the sepaprate battery bank right at the back and trickle charge from there upon reaching my destination? hmmm

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
Perhaps I am better to go with this 800 amp power box from Canadian Tire. Just plug the shore power inlet to it and use for my 6 hrs driving and recharge when get to the campsite? Saves the whole alternator thing..just need heavy gauge plugin for it?
Eliminator PowerBox 800 | Canadian Tire

Do you think I'd get enough juice for any period of time out of that? Its on sale for $139.00 I'd only need a max of 6 hours juice until we stop to camp.

Before my recent upgrade, I used a combination jump pack/compressor/inverter similar to Motomaster Eliminator 300A PowerBox on the Canadian Tire link you provided to power a flat screen TV/DVD unit for approx. 3 hours at a time. In the long run, I wasn't happy with that setup because we don't have electrical hook-up where we camp and don't run the generator long enough to recharge it. The 800A model may work for you if you can recharge it once you get there. I wouldn't plan on making coffee with it.

I'm not familiar with Canadian Tire's return policy . . . I got mine at Costco, they would take it back and refund my money if I was not happy with it.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
Jim,

By chance, does it get 12v from the cigarette lighter socket?? . . . I couldn't get anything close to 400 watts out of mine because the internal wiring to the cigarette lighter socket was so tiny.
Yes, exactly. Last year I changed the wires to 12 gauge, 2 feet long to the lighter socket, helped some but not a lot.

I finished my install today. The 400 went under the firdge access door outside, wired to the fridges 12 volt terminal strip, plugged the icemaker into it, it works great, now we got ice on the road with the fridhe on gas!

The front took some time, but I got it done and it works great for what I need. I can run the TV and DVD or video game, laptop, probably other low draw entertainment type stuff, without a problem.

I used 13 feet of 8 gauge, grounded to the frame with a bolt nut and star washer, pos I connected to the power center lug feeding starter power to the genset, it is hot only with the house disconnect is on.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
So, I am getting the MH on Monday and I have not been able to read all of the info on the installed items. Since i am impatient and do not know what the specifics are i will ask anyway. The MH has an inverter with 4 - 6V batteries and a 2500W # on it. The MH has a refrigerator with 110V 4 door and ice maker. What are the chances of keeping the refrigerator operating as we travel using the invertor? For how long can we do this without draining the batteries. No I do not know what the refrig draws! All I have is the excitement of getting a new toy without all the answers, answered!