Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #15

Power inverters are a bit of esoteric knowledge in the electronics business. If there is anyone around who does boat systems they might have a clue. More likely the best thing you can do is see if the manufacturer has a repair service you can ship it to. Do not be surprised if they tell you it is not worth fixing. The electronics in the control boards are pretty easy to deal with but the cost of replacing any transformers that short internally is probably more than the cost of a new unit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverters, Inverter/chargers are straight forward electronic devices and normally fairly easy to repair. Sure there are exceptions as in Prosoin2.0 with blow FET's those are a PIA at the best of times.

Converters are very simple to repair.

I sure hate to see so many of them tossed in the trash what a waste

Any competent TV repair shop or Car stereo repair shop should be able to get the thing running again.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
Inverters, Inverter/chargers are straight forward electronic devices and normally fairly easy to repair. Sure there are exceptions as in Prosoin2.0 with blow FET's those are a PIA at the best of times.

Any competent TV repair shop or Car stereo repair shop should be able to get the thing running again.
i thought i understood how they work, when it comes to repair its an another story.i have tried a lot of places, with little success. So far I seem to have but once choice and thats do it myself. At 74 I thought crawling around in an electronics bay was behind me, guess not ! I have found only one place that repairs invertlrs., and they are in s. California, they advertise on the net. I am planing to contact them monday. I hate to drive thousands of miles and then run up a huge bill for nothing.....there are no garentees when dealing with 18 year old electronics.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #18
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is this rv new to you?
Why is there two inverters?

Are you trying to repair something that did work for you before?
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You got me beat at a young 65 years of age
Agreed crawling on the ground or in a storage bay is a Pain in the back side at best
Been fixing electronic devices for going on 45 to 50 years now
Sorry to hear you can not find a reasonable priced repair shop
They are indeed out there you need to look a bit more
Again please do not toss it in the trash
Happy to pay shipping costs to get it here
I collect all kinds of Inverters Inverter-chargers / Converters - etc.............
Old 07-18-2015, 11:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Is this rv new to you?
Why is there two inverters?

Are you trying to repair something that did work for you before?
yes, second year, its an all electric coach, much like a Provost.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #21

Quote:
You got me beat at a young 65 years of age
Agreed crawling on the ground or in a storage bay is a Pain in the back side at best
Been fixing electronic devices for going on 45 to 50 years now
Sorry to hear you can not find a reasonable priced repair shop
They are indeed out there you need to look a bit more
Again please do not toss it in the trash
Happy to pay shipping costs to get it here
I collect all kinds of Inverters Inverter-chargers / Converters - etc.............
i live in a remote part of North America, the all electric coach intimates the locals. its 18 years old, inverters no longer being made. ALL The service centers have quit serving this product. i need to find an independent shop somewhere within a days drive. no , i wont trash it !
Old 07-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #22

Quote:

They are straight forward if you have a load bank capable of drawing rated power for an hour or so. Many of the problems are shorted magenetics that finally take out something else. If one only replaces the something else they test good no load then fail soon after they are returned to the customer. BTDT. The magnetics are usually custom parts so not off the shelf. That is assuming we are talking the old simple converters.

Get into any of the multistage units using some kind of programmed controller and it's a crap shoot because the program is not available. Once they off load the voltage control to a processor a lot of the logic can follow. They get unrepairable because there is no basic circuit to work through. All the sensing just feeds the programable controller so decisions are made by the sealed black box.

Tags
fuse, inverter