Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Inverter Fuses

i have found 2 1/4 amp fuses in both my Freedom 25 units blown. No one seem to have them, including the Factory ! Anyone have any ideas ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Honestly I've never heard of quarter amp fuse, is this 12v?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Honestly I've never heard of quarter amp fuse, is this 12v?
! have not ether....and, I am not home, coach is at the repair shop. They said that factory does not have them ? I know this is old and outdated, but just a fuse ? The fuses are internal, so ofcoarse its not in the manual . I do not know the voltage, assume 12 volt.. Inverter could have both 110 and 12 v it would seem to me . they said the fuse is 1/2 inch long Bus. type.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If Digi-Key hasn't got it, they don't make it!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #5

Probably too big:
1/4 AMP AGC FUSE | All Electronics Corp.

What you really want to do is find out the type stamped on the end cap and check the catalog pages here:

Buss Fuses

That will let you search for a source. The size is not unusual for electronics.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That is small and must be protecting a circuit board. If two fuses are blown you probably have a serious problem. You may be able to find 1/2 amp fuses and Radio Shack for example or an auto parts store. They will likely be glass fuses.

If they pop immediately your device is toast without the help of an electronic tech.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
any Electronics Parts store should have them. Very common in electronic equipment. Some volt ohm meters use them.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #8

Try www.mouser.com
Old 07-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #9

thanks everyone, but I did find them at McMaster Carr ,be here tomorrow. ( why did I not think of them ?)
Old 07-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
That is small and must be protecting a circuit board. If two fuses are blown you probably have a serious problem. You may be able to find 1/2 amp fuses and Radio Shack for example or an auto parts store. They will likely be glass fuses.

If they pop immediately your device is toast without the help of an electronic tech.
By the way there are 2 fuses and 2 inverters. When we called the factory, they said " do not open the inverter, could be harmful " and , " we do not have that fuse, we will sell you new units for 1250.00 each" ...... Now we know why they do not want you to open the unit !...I think it was reverse polarity in the axle shop in NM. , the last time the inverters would charge the batteries.( so far they do not want to except liability)
Old 07-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #11

I had a problem and called for a RMA (Return Material Authorization). Carried it into the repair facility in Elkhart. You cannot carry in without the RMA. They replaced a board and fan, less than $150.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I on the other hand HAVE heard of quarter amp fuses.. But then I use them.. They protect meter movements which are often 50mA (that is 0.05 amp) fuill scale

On an Inverter I would expect them to protect the amp-meter and/or volt meter functions.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I on the other hand HAVE heard of quarter amp fuses.. But then I use them.. They protect meter movements which are often 50mA (that is 0.05 amp) fuill scale

On an Inverter I would expect them to protect the amp-meter and/or volt meter functions.
the jury is still out on the fuses. one was installed today, inverter fired up , great......then after 10 min. went dead, as before. We checked the fuse, its still working and there is power in to the inverter . Tomorrow we will pull the other one out ......?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #14

Well, we have now come to the end of local knowledge on my electrical/inverts/control panel etc. I have run out of people to work on it as well. I think the last shop has got scared of the cost of 2 new converters plus whatever, and then still have the system not work.....I am not sure where to turn now. Whatever I do , will be wrong I am sure.Thanks for all listening to my problems.

Tags
fuse, inverter