Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I think you will find the inverter generators are polyphase alternators with rectifiers. In short they make AC then rectify to DC then invert to AC. Using multiple phases and higher frequencies makes filtering the DC input to the inverter simpler.
Geeez...I told you it was 43 years ago!!! LOL I give up!

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I am having a chuckle over the idea of a low end DP. Does anyone know the price point for one of them? ;-)
Yep, we do!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
I am having a chuckle over the idea of a low end DP. Does anyone know the price point for one of them? ;-)
150k for a brand new Thor Palazzo with inverter generator .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Those inverter generators you see just have a small inverter in them to provide a small 12VDC charger to charge batteries. This is only a pittance compared with what a big rig needs.
Nope: Honda Generators - Inverter Generator Advantages

"How does the inverter work?
Honda 's inverter technology takes the raw power produced by the generator and uses a special microprocessor to condition it through a multi-step process.

First, the generator's alternator produces high voltage multiphase AC power. The AC power is then converted to DC. Finally the DC power is converted back to AC by the inverter. The inverter also smoothes and cleans the power to make it high quality. A special microprocessor controls the entire process, as well as the speed of the engine."

Quote:
I am also pretty sure that my generator is in fact a generator. It runs at a constant speed. It has to to generate 60HZ as you mentioned.
This is another advantage of inverter generators, they do not need to run a constant speed nor do they to produce 60hz as the alternator output is decoupled from the final inverted output through DC.

I can hear my little Honda 2000 I use at home for power backup throttle up when more load is applied and throttle down when removed, its a great little generator that gets extremely quiet when there is little load due to throttling down.

Only wish they did these inverter designs on gas coaches, my Onan 4000 is a loud crude 3600 rpm design putting out 62-63hz.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #18

Check the price difference and you will see why. All that circuitry is not cheap.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am totally lost when it comes to all this technical electrical stuff , but I just looked up the price of a Honda EU7000 priced at $4,100.

Honda EGD-HONDA7000KIT EU7000 Watt Inverter Generator and Parallel Kit Single Generator

Cummins Onan QG 7.0 EFI Gasoline RV Generator | 7.0HGJAA-97 - Norwall PowerSystems

They don't seem to be any more expensive than the Onans. Of course they are stand alone units and are not made for permanent installation in an RV. My brother had a Honda EU3000 that he used to run his pull behind camper. It would run both of his AC units at the same time and was amazingly efficient.Also it was quieter than my EU2000 that I use for backup.

Some of you are talking about diesel powered units, and I don't know anything about that. I meant this thread for the gas powered units.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a Honda EU7000is for home backup power. I think the largest obstacle for installing one in a motorhome is the air-cooled engine. It would be very difficult to meet Honda's ventilation specs in a motorhome. Adding water cooling would likely drive the cost higher than the Onan.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Honda used to make the EV6010 and EV4010 generators...they appear to be a similar footprint as a typical 3500-4000-5500 Onan. Were these units inverter-type? I've always dreamed of getting rid of the noisy Onan for a nice inverter job if it was available.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
,,, My basic electricity and electronics training in the Navy was a year long but 43 years ago so I do not claim to be an expert.,,,
Hmm, 43 years ago and an EW? Got any WLR-1 experience? The Coast Guard still has the system (five of them) and no one knows how to turn it on. Want job? Got a cutter in Kodiak with it if you want to make a trip to Alaska. Plus there's Hawaii and Seattle.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
Honda used to make the EV6010 and EV4010 generators...they appear to be a similar footprint as a typical 3500-4000-5500 Onan. Were these units inverter-type? I've always dreamed of getting rid of the noisy Onan for a nice inverter job if it was available.
That's what I am talking about
Old 04-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Hmm, 43 years ago and an EW? Got any WLR-1 experience? The Coast Guard still has the system (five of them) and no one knows how to turn it on. Want job? Got a cutter in Kodiak with it if you want to make a trip to Alaska. Plus there's Hawaii and Seattle.
Yes years of experience on the AN/WLR-1C. I might even have my schematics from A School. Do they even make the vacuum tubes required for it anymore? I'm on a whole Facebook page of old EWs that would probably love to help you out also. Might even be one in your area. PM if you are serious and I'll try to connect you with one. As far as turning it on, thats just one switch. Problem is that the start up sequence had 17 separate things that happened when you flipped the switch. Any fault in that sequence and nothing happens. PM and I'll try to help. And we are driving to Alaska next summer so if you can wait...
Old 04-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The magic words here are vacuum tubes. If you can find new ones. Take a tube tester and test all the new tubes you can find. Take out the old ones and throw them away. Replace with tested good tubes. Turn on power. Run complete alignment.

When the tube type missile fire control radar I worked on was replaced by a newer model that had mostly solid state circuitry the most amazing thing about it was that we could turn it off at the end of the day and it would work the next day when we turned it back on.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #26

As long as we are staying with gas units I really do not see the need to dump another couple thousand down that rat hole. The average gasser sells for under $100,000 so a thousand is significant. The half gallon/hour the generator may take is not a big deal in the cost of fuel for most of us. Really not a big deal compared to the amount most generators are run. If the few folks who want to spend a lot of time off grid let them go buy a Honda.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
The magic words here are vacuum tubes. If you can find new ones. Take a tube tester and test all the new tubes you can find. Take out the old ones and throw them away. Replace with tested good tubes. Turn on power. Run complete alignment.

When the tube type missile fire control radar I worked on was replaced by a newer model that had mostly solid state circuitry the most amazing thing about it was that we could turn it off at the end of the day and it would work the next day when we turned it back on.
We never threw away a "bad" tube, unless it was fried. It might be good for the next alignment.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Going back to the original statement, an inverter/generator is only more fuel efficient, and more quiet, under very light loads. There is no magic that cuts fuel by 90% in one of them, but the ability to run at low rpms when loads are light can make a fairly big difference if you need to run it all day. If you need 50% or more of rated output, though, the inverter/generator is going to use the same amount of fuel and make as much noise as a comparable quality mechanical generator.

And of course there IS a market for inverter-generators in RVs, but it's a relatively small one and Onan & Powertech have it largely sewn up. I suspect that Honda & Yamaha simply aren't willing to make the investment in marketing and development to tailor a unit for the RV market when they are only going to get a slice of a small pie anyway.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter, rvs