Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

Inverter Heating up

Hey guys, had a four outlet grounded in wall outlet plugged into one of my 3 inverter outlets and it went bad and caused my Magnum 1212 inverter to heat up and go into a fault condition. I removed the bad device and plugged my TV directly in to the outlet. TV is working fine now but the inverter keeps heating up and shuts down. It comes back on after it cools down and lasts for 30 minutes before it gets hot again. The thermostat for the fan in the inverter compartment is not working and I need to order a new one. I pulled the 2 wires from the thermostat and wired them together, fan works but inverter still heats ups. Generator has a lot of load on it when the battery bulk charging light is on. I'm on shore power now and the inverter seems to be staying on longer but still goes into fault condition, blinks 3 times which indicates high load condition and inverter has shut down due to excessive heat and will restart once it cools which it does.

Now my questions, where is the battery charger located in my Berkshire 360FWS? I want to see how many amps it is pulling? Is therer a way to test my inverter to know if I melted something and need to replace it?
bdunningsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #2

Most larger inverters have an internal by-pass that sends shore power straight through to the outlets and at the same time switches on the internal battery charger.
I'll pull down a manual from the model number you posted to see if this is how yours operates.

EDIT: Back from an internet search , for a manual , and found that your 1200 watt inverter , has a built in 4 stage 70 amp battery charger .
Check your coach batteries for overheating , if you were on invert when the four outlet converter when bad you may have damaged a battery and the inverter is now trying to charge a bad battery (or batteries ).
Old 06-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Most larger inverters have an internal by-pass that sends shore power straight through to the outlets and at the same time switches on the internal battery charger.
I'll pull down a manual from the model number you posted to see if this is how yours operates.

EDIT: Back from an internet search , for a manual , and found that your 1200 watt inverter , has a built in 4 stage 70 amp battery charger .
Check your coach batteries for overheating , if you were on invert when the four outlet converter when bad you may have damaged a battery and the inverter is now trying to charge a bad battery (or batteries ).
You hit the nail on the head. Replaced bad chassis bateries that were Heating up and bulging. Inverter appears to be working fine now. Thanks skip426
bdunningsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, inverter