Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
inverter install

I have a 2004 Southwind 32v without an inverter. I have an estimate of right at $3000 to install a 2000 watt with all the appropriate wiring switches ect. All I want to be able to run is the front and back TV plus I have a surround sound system with a 6 disk changer.

In addition I was told I should add two more 6 volt batteries which would be an additional expense of the installation plus batteries. I was also told I would need 4 new batteries because they all need to be the same type and age.

Any ideas or does this sound like something I should go ahead and do?

ronnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ron, I would recommend you slow down and do some more research right here on iRV2.com. First you do not need a 2000 watt inverter for your intended purpose and second the cost of installing a 1000 watt should be about 1/3 and you may be able to use the present battery bank.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
RV Wizard is right. We have a 1000 watt inverter and two 6-volt batteries and did just fine running TVs, a satellite receiver and a computer. This type of setup will work fine even for extended boondocking provided you can run the generator once or twice a day to recharge the batteries.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My '06 Itasa is available with a 600 watt inverter. It has 2- 12 volt batteries to power the same type of equipment you have. I agree with the others-- at most all you need is a 1000 watt inverter. I would seek out another dealer who understands your needs.

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Originally Posted by paz View Post
RV Wizard is right. We have a 1000 watt inverter and two 6-volt batteries and did just fine running TVs, a satellite receiver and a computer. This type of setup will work fine even for extended boondocking provided you can run the generator once or twice a day to recharge the batteries.
I have same. Setup with a $60 inverter. Blew the first 1200w unit due to running inverter while runing generator, improper wiring . Plus I run my printer. Also run a 1200 watt generator. Less then $400 total cost.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. it has been very helpful!
ronnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Any Good DIY threads on adding and inverter to a coach that only has a Converter?

Might be a good read for all.

GULFSTREAM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Ronnii: It's simple to figure out what size inverter you need. Just look for the wattage rating on the nameplates on the TVs and surround system. Add them up and you will have your figure. Go about 25% LARGER to let the inverter run easy. Example 100 watts for the surround, 150 for smaller TV, 200 for larger TV = 450 watts total. A 600 watt inverter would be great.

If you have old style CRT TVs, you can replace them with LED backlit LCD flatscreens that will use much less electricity. That will let you you use a smaller inverter and battery bank.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
One thing if you do decide to add those other 2 batteries then yes you would need to buy 4 at once since yes they should be the same type and age.
But if you are only going to do a 600-1000 watt one then you should not need to upgrade to 4 batteries.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
We did an install on a southwind, but different.

Picked up a harbor freight 750 watt inverter and had a couple indoor rated 70 amp hour VRLA batteries along with a Battery minder.

TV converted to panel that is 12 volt

Inverter powers dvd and tv when dvd is needed, otherwise tv operates on 12 volts

Built ATS for both the 12 TV power and inverter output, simple relays

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote

install, inverter