Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Inverter Issue

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution with a Zantrex 458 inverter. The voltage in is 110volt and volts out is 134 volts. On shore 50 amp shore-power everything works. On house batteries Gfi receptacle 110 volt in 0 volts out. HELP!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Reset the gfi outlet. You have a test then reset do them both. If you have 110 volts on one side of the outlet and nothing coming out you have 2 options. Reset or replace. One thing I don't like about the outlets the wire just pushed on the outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok first of all it is xantrex i hope that is the inverter you have.

You are getting 110volts in to the gfi on batteries but nothing out. yet you are getting 110 volts out when on shore power. go back to shore power and make sure you are still getting 110v out of GFI when on shore power then do not do anything except trip shore power breaker at connection See if you are still getting 110 volt out at GFI. When you say you have 110v in to GFI but nothing out. Where are you measuring the input to the GFI. If you have it out and you are measuring 110v at input terminals and nothing out of the receptacle plug in a light a hair dryer something and then see if you are still getting 110v at the input terminals with the appliance on.

Also on batteries does the TV work
Old 03-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Googled Xantrex Freedom 458, says it is a filtered MSW inverter.

MSW inverters often give false voltage readings on Digital Multi-meters..

I would expect low, but .. Well, it depends on the meter.. Try a TRUE RMS meter (I have a few of those around here) they do better with MSW.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #5

Good tips guys. I have been repairing these xantrex inverters for a while now and using a true rms meter is essential.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi brooksbbb,
In addition to what has been posted, please find the inverter. Somewhere on the inverter there will be a breaker. It could be a button breaker or the standard switch type breaker. Reset the breaker. When on shore power the inverter may be in "pass through" mode so everything works. When on batteries, the inverter must do its' thing. No matter how much of the coach is wired through the inverter, one is limited to what can be done by the size of the inverter breaker.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

On your 12 volt display panel that shows you battery charge and voltage, there is a invert button that has a LED above it. Is your lighted? Your inverted is in "pass through" if this is not lighted. Push the invert button to turn on the inverter. I leave mine in "pass through" most of the time unless I need to use it.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

not try'n to get flamed here , but... if there is power to one side of the gfi

then there has to be power to the other or it is tripped ...correct???

or it's bad ...correct???

if it works on shore power..power on line side... and power on load
it's working... correct????

the rec. doesn't know where the power is coming from....correct????

we just had a similar problem with our excursion....every thing was fine till the gfi pop'd then couldn't reset... turns out the gif was wired backwards,,, the power in ... line side...was on the load side so it wasn't showing power to reset the GFI..... kind of a long shot but maybe the GFI never pop'd in the 10 years and now it is and won't reset

interesting thread...and so hard to figue out with out teat result

but.... make sure the power into the GFI in on the correct side... and make sure the neutrals are not crossed... they must be seperate
Old 03-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi brooksbbb,
In addition to what has been posted, please find the inverter. Somewhere on the inverter there will be a breaker. It could be a button breaker or the standard switch type breaker. Reset the breaker. When on shore power the inverter may be in "pass through" mode so everything works. When on batteries, the inverter must do its' thing. No matter how much of the coach is wired through the inverter, one is limited to what can be done by the size of the inverter breaker.
some thing doesn't make sense here.... un less down the line it is wired wrong????
you seem to know what you are talking about... and I'm just guessing....

but... if there is power...there "is" power ....correct???
Old 03-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
On any 110 outlet you have 1 hot side. You have neutral side and earth side. In ac voltage remember Black is hot and white is not. This is the way I was taught to remember. If you have power going to the backside of the outlet then the gfi outlet is bad

Old 03-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksbbb View Post
I have a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution with a Zantrex 458 inverter. The voltage in is 110volt and volts out is 134 volts. On shore 50 amp shore-power everything works. On house batteries Gfi receptacle 110 volt in 0 volts out. HELP!!!!
not say'n it's impossible... but if it is what I think... dangerous

first thing to do is pull the gfi....

take a piece of masking tape and mark load on one and line on another...

with all power off..look at the back of the plug

one side will say load other line.... make sure the black and white wires are from the same romex.... un hook the line side....

now turn on the inverter... do you have power at those wires???

if yes... shut inverter power off...put red heads on the wires...

now un hook the load side... check for power with inverter...

if the answer is yes... you have a huge dangerous problem... get an electrician...

if the answer is no... shut inverter off and plug in.....

if you have power to those wires .... huge dangerous problem...

get an electrician...

I've been holding back posting as I'm on thin ice here....but ...if it is what is stated ... you have a live male shore plug when inverter is on...

GFI circuts have to go to dead end..... maybe some one want'd another plug hot when on battery. and tapped in.....
Old 03-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
On any 110 outlet you have 1 hot side. You have neutral side and earth side. In ac voltage remember Black is hot and white is not. This is the way I was taught to remember. If you have power going to the backside of the outlet then the gfi outlet is bad

good info.... GFI's have a line side and a load side....

if the incoming power is on the load side... it will appear that the GFI is bad because there is no line power to set the GFI...

also if there is power to the load side when it is disconnected...for any reason... dangerouse situation
Old 03-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

looks like op got a new motorhome...

Our new to us Motorhome
Old 03-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LVRVLUVR,
Reference your post #9. It all depends on the inverter. Not all inverters are the same and over time they change. Technology marches on. Many inverters have a pass through mode. From shore or generator supplied power the inverter just passes it through. The power does not go through any inverter components. When the inverter transfer switch detects no shore or generator power, it transfers to battery input and output is via the inverter components. Maximum output is controlled by the inverter circuit breaker.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter