Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

Inverter issues

I am having trouble with the inverter in my 2015 Open Road. When I am driving or preparing to travel, I have to run my generator in order to run the fridge. I cannot run the residential fridge on the 12V power. The inverter kicks it off. It seems like the inverter has tripped but I don't know what to look for. There isn't enough info in my manuals.
Donnette413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Can you tell us exactly what inverter you have, or better yet post some close up pictures?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure I understand the question. If I tell you something you know sorry! Your inverter when turned on is supposed to convert the 12DC into 115AC for a limited amount of receptacles and appliances. Your alternator should keep the 12VDC batteries charged. I imagine your fridge is one of the appliances on the inverter. I don't understand what you mean by "the inverter kicks it off." Do you mean the inverter trips a breaker? Or do you mean it "kicks" the fridge off (of what?) Or does the inverter just go off? Does the inverter make 115AC when the fridge is not plugged in? Ice maker plugged in? Ice maker uses a lot of juice. Lots of questions. Someone else will jump on soon also, hopefully with better reading comprehension than I have. LOL Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

Just a wild guess but one of the main reasons for inverter shut down is bad battery's but as others have noted you will have to be specific for someone to give you more then a guess.
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

Fridge doesn't work

Ok, let me start over -- why doesn't my refrigerator run when we start up motorhome to leave for trip???.......we have to run the generator while traveling to keep fridge on
Donnette413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnette413 View Post
Ok, let me start over -- why doesn't my refrigerator run when we start up motorhome to leave for trip???.......we have to run the generator while traveling to keep fridge on

......again we need specifics......make, and model of inverter.......picture of the readout or lights would also help diagnose the problem.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Starting the motorhome will supply only 12VDC from the alternator to charge batteries/ The refer uses 110VAC

Do you have an inverter or a converter?

If you have an inverter, did you turn it on?

If you have a converter, you cannot run a residential refer as the converter changes AC to DC

Starting the generator will supply the needed 110VAC
Old 09-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok first of all two things to check

1. Do you have the inverter turned on. A lot of inverters have remote control panels that you have to turn the inverter on when you want it to supply 115vac.

2. Is the refrigerator plugged into the right receptacle. On my refrigerator it has two receptacles behind the refrigerator one is powered off of the inverter one is not. If you have it in the receptacle that is not powered by the inverter you would have to use the generator to power it because that receptacle is powered straight from the breaker panel.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, are we talking about a 2015 Tiffin Allegro "Open Road"? That will narrow the scope significantly.

If the above is "Yes", then the inverter is designed to operate the residential fridge when shore power is not available. It should do so as long as the house batteries have a reasonable charge, so you should not need to run the genset. The first things to determine, then, is whether that inverter is turned on, and whether it can produce any power at all from the batteries. For example, will the tv power on without shore power? I'm pretty sure it runs off the same inverter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #10

Donnette,
Dometic or Norcold frig or a residential?

If residential then as someone suggested, the circuit the frig is plugged into is not powered by the inverter. Simple check, check the voltage at the receptacle with the inverter on and not plugged into shore power.

If an absorption frig, then it probably wasn't set up to run off the inverter at the motor home manufacturer.

If you have an ice maker, that outlet is usually powered by the inverter. So, plug the frig into that outlet.

Still, come back with some of the info that has been requested by other posters. None of know what you are really dealing with until you supply that info.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

Did you connect shore power with incorrect voltage? If so, there is a fuse inside the inverter/charger, a 250v-1/4a, that is located on a circuit board that allows ac power to enter the inverter. I had this problem....knocked off many outlets.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guess I have to ask a dumb question!! Why not run refer on propane mode instead of elec.? Most have dual modes. saves batteries.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
Guess I have to ask a dumb question!! Why not run refer on propane mode instead of elec.? Most have dual modes. saves batteries.
Pretty sure the OP mentioned it is a "residential" refer.

Sounds like not enough 12VDC juice to run the refer. (Based on very little info)

I'm a little surprised the coach alternator isn't enough to keep the batteries charged but I don't have your coach and we still don't know the status or setup of your batteries.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The OP stated this is a residential refrigator, so there is no option for LP.

If you have the Magnum inverter/converter like my '15 RED, there is a control panel with two buttons, one for the converter and one for the inverter. You have to push the button to turn the inverter on to run the fridge. Mine is located above the driver's area, but the Allegro may be different. When on, it will show "Inverting" and an amperage. Once you turn it on, it will stay on even if you use the master disconnect switch in the battery bay so you will need to turn it off when you put it into storage.

Ours has no problem running the refer on the road.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter