Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Inverter not working - help diagnosing

I have a Xantrex Model 1010, 1000W inverter. It's quit working and is giving me an error code of OL - 05 or "overload" or "bad connection." It must be the bad connection because there is zero load on the unit. Further, the built in GFCI 110v receptacle is tripped and won't reset. It's also a "witch" to get to . I'm the 2nd owner and the first said sometimes it trips and needs to be reset - hmmm. Further, there is a push button circuit button on top of the unit but it doesn't appear to be tripped. And, of course it's mounted to a compartment wall. I don't have a clue as to how to start to check for voltage in, out or checking for shorted wiring. Any thoughts on the subject? Thanks p.s. No other breakers are tripped anywhere on the unit as far as I know.
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it hard wired or plugged into the GFCI. If there is nothing plugged into the GFCI, there is a hardwired connection that has a transfer switch built into the unit. You may need to open the cover on the connections and see what it there. If you are not comfortable with electricity, have someone who is debug it.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A GFCI won't reset if it has no power reaching it, so that's just part of the bigger symptom.

Can you disconnect everything on the output side (the coach circuits that connect to the inverter? If you do, and it still shows the error code, you know the problem is in the inverter itself and it needs to be repaired or replaced. If not, then its a wiring problem.

Does the problem occur whether on shore power or off-grid (inverter is supplying power)? That is also an important clue.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:06 AM   #4

Thanks. Yes, the unit is factory installed (as far as I know) and there is nothing plugged into it. I don't mind working with AC or DC electric as long as I have a slight clue as to what I'm looking for.

Gary, I can't hook to shore power at the moment, but would running the generator do the same thing? For testing purposes, would hooking up to (house) 15/20 amp circuit work okay? Never thought about it not getting power and hence, not being able to reset the breaker - thanks. Do you know from whence the power comes from the coach to the inverter? I essentially can't do a single thing to the inverter w/o removing it. I'm sure it was for space saving but it's tucked & mounted way back on a side compartment wall. I wouldn't mind (too much) removing it, but I'd like to make sure there's power to the unit first. Might there be a fuse between the power source and the breakers? Maybe I'll check on Winnie's wiring schematics. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
I have a Xantrex Model 1010, 1000W inverter. It's quit working and is giving me an error code of OL - 05 or "overload" or "bad connection." It must be the bad connection because there is zero load on the unit. Further, the built in GFCI 110v receptacle is tripped and won't reset. It's also a "witch" to get to . I'm the 2nd owner and the first said sometimes it trips and needs to be reset - hmmm. Further, there is a push button circuit button on top of the unit but it doesn't appear to be tripped. And, of course it's mounted to a compartment wall. I don't have a clue as to how to start to check for voltage in, out or checking for shorted wiring. Any thoughts on the subject? Thanks p.s. No other breakers are tripped anywhere on the unit as far as I know.

You can call the manufacturer tech support and they will walk you through troubleshooting and correct settings.
ScopeGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
On that model, just because nothing is plugged into it doesn't mean that it is not connected to a load. There is a hard wired option that is probably being used for your unit. You will see two 120 vac wires going in to the unit. One is from the panel breaker for the loads in question and the other goes to the outlets that are powered by the inverter. When the inverter "sees" power coming from the panel it switches the outlets to the panel. When that power disappears, it switches power to inverter power.

GFCIs will not reset if there is no power. The breaker on the top of the unit protects the hard wired feed to the inverter.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 AM   #7

Thanks! It looks like it's time to consult Xantrex ans maybe the Winnie electric diagram. I want to make sure first, there is power to the unit and then cross any other bridges. I'll post the outcome.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

So, an update. After testing and speaking with Xantrex, it appears the inverter is likely caputsky. Since a new sine wave + installation will approach the best part of 1K, I'm wondering if I need it at all? We've never even used it when it was working and I'm thinking that unless we're boondocking, which we've never done, do we need it at all?? Any thoughts on the subject. I mean at 1k watts it's not like we can run anything major like micro or coffee maker. Just thinking out loud.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
So, an update. After testing and speaking with Xantrex, it appears the inverter is likely caputsky. Since a new sine wave + installation will approach the best part of 1K, I'm wondering if I need it at all? We've never even used it when it was working and I'm thinking that unless we're boondocking, which we've never done, do we need it at all?? Any thoughts on the subject. I mean at 1k watts it's not like we can run anything major like micro or coffee maker. Just thinking out loud.
If you don't use it...then you don't need it! True. If you don't feel comfortable replacing it yourself (or have a friend who is comfortable) then forget it. A new inverter is less than $300. Installing it should be pretty easy since it is already wired.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #10

Well, if you can handle a little DIY handyman stuff, Amazon has 1KW inverters for less than 200 bucks. There is absolutely no need for a PSW upgrade.

I would strongly suggest finding the closest match for the existing unit and just swap it out.

We do find that it is really nice to have the inverter seamlessly switch over whenever there is a minor power glitch in the camps power service.

Our 2KW (2005) Xantrex does all that stuff just fine.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #11

I find that the reason most people don't routinely use their inverters - is that the one they have isn't sufficient for what they want to do.

Think about a typical 120 vac outlet in your home - that is roughly equal to a:
- 2 kW
- pure sine wave
- Heavy duty inverter
- capable of supporting inductive loads.

In other words, not a $200 inverter, but closer to a $2000 inverter.

We are spoiled by how efficiently the grid and high volume commodity wiring delivers power in our homes.

It isn't easy to invest this amount of money, but for those that have, it is a completely different RV experience.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
First I would replace GFCI it seemed to have problems and do go bad. Next check all circuit breakers and resets with a meter and check all wire clamps for being secure. Then checking input and output for 12 and 120 volts all along the line. Also cleaning battery terminals. Now the inverter still may have a problem but have eliminated a lot of cheap fix variables.

LEN
Old 08-22-2018, 01:51 AM   #13

Len, thanks. I don't know why I didn't think to just test/replace the built in GFIC - could very well be the culprit. As it's mounted to a compartment wall and not easy to get to, I'm sure it will be a PITA but worth it if it solves the problem. In reference to 12/120 v systems, I keep everything in pretty good order. Batteries fully charged, connections clean and tight, There are no tripped breakers, or any that I know of, the 120 system has always worked flawlessly, and there is nothing plugged into any of the 120 v outlets at this point. I'll keep checking but as to my question about the utility of an inverter in the first place, any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Personally, I would replace the inverter just because... One of the reasons I bought my motorhome was for emergencies. You never know when you will need to go off the grid and the inverter will definitely assist you.

Just my thoughts...

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter