Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

Inverter..... On or Off?

We are still working, a couple more years to go.

Our coach sits here in the yard for sometimes 2-3 weeks without use. We have nothing on while in this state, frig off, no water, lights off etc.. However it is plugged into our 50amp rv circuit.

Thoughts about shutting off the inverter. Seems silly to leave it on. I can control it from the power management system, pretty easy to shutdown and startup.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't have it on unless I need it. The charger still works with it off
Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I am the opposite. I never turn mine off unless we are getting service that requires it. The inverter keeps the house batteries charged and even with everything turned off there are things that use the batteries. CO detector, microwave clock, panel lights by the door, etc. I don't want to have to monitor the house batteries while parked so I just leave it on.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Off. My inverter/converter charges the batteries with the inverter off.
I test that the inverter works once in a while, but we don't boondock, so....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #5

Unless we r in deep storage mode, the inverter is on...
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:35 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
am I confused??

I have always thought that the converter changes 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC and that the converter charges the battery not the Inverter, which changes 12 volt DC to 120 volts AC. The inverter does not charge the batteries. I leave my motor home hooked to shore power 24 / 7, but I have a converter with a 4 stage battery charger. So that the batteries don't boil and get ruined. If you don't have a 3 or 4 stage charger and your converter / charger is on charging the batteries all of the time, then you can ruin them.
Mel
Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

Mhbell,,,, that is my understanding as well. I guess I need to test to see how my coach works, but the converter does the 12v work, the inverter provides the 120v power if needed.

I think this would be a easy test, my management system tells me if the batteries are charging, I think I will shutoff the inverter today, turn on some 12v stuff (with house power unplugged) and come back in a hour and plug back in the house power..... I hope I would see batteries charging. with the inverter off.

Today is a good day for that test, I plane to check the water level in all the batteries today anyway.

I will report back my findings,,, but they may only be applicable to my coach.

L.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #8

If your plugged in why would it be on? I leave the inverter off unless needed.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I have always thought that the converter changes 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC and that the converter charges the battery not the Inverter, which changes 12 volt DC to 120 volts AC. The inverter does not charge the batteries. I leave my motor home hooked to shore power 24 / 7, but I have a converter with a 4 stage battery charger. So that the batteries don't boil and get ruined. If you don't have a 3 or 4 stage charger and your converter / charger is on charging the batteries all of the time, then you can ruin them.
Mel
You are correct in many cases, but there is also many Inverter/Charger combination units out there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several thoughts
Coach sitting empty, NO power to coach, Shut it off
Coach sitting empty but WITH shore power to coach Leave it on, charger enabled, inverter disabled

Coach occupied. ON
Old 08-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Always on, even when in storage since I store it beside the house. Also have it on when in a campground.

I built the pad and put electricity in about 25 years or more ago. Have ALWAYS left my rigs plugged in and inverter turned on. Batteries have always lasted many years too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Coach occupied. ON

Why? Every electronic device has and estimated MTBF. Why run it if on camp power?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
I am the opposite. I never turn mine off unless we are getting service that requires it. The inverter keeps the house batteries charged and even with everything turned off there are things that use the batteries. CO detector, microwave clock, panel lights by the door, etc. I don't want to have to monitor the house batteries while parked so I just leave it on.
Melmoses
An INVERTER does NOT charge the batteries, (or keep the batteries charged).

Whenever the coach has shore or generator 120VAC power the CONVERTER/CHARGER "PORTION" of a combination INVERTER/CHARGER is what keeps the batteries up, (whether the inverter is ON or OFF).

At least that's how my Heart Freedom 20 inverter/charger works.

BTW, I only turn my inverter ON when I need 120VAC power and don't have shore, (or generator), power.

Mel
'96 Safari , 141k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #14

It's your choice but why have it on if you are hooked up to power? We only turn ours on when not on generator or shore power. Another way of looking at it is, if the inverter folks did not want it shut-off they would not have put an easy access on-off switch on it.

Tags
inverter