Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #43

We'll see what we do in the future. But most times when driving, we have the inverter off, turning it on if needed.

This is out of habit. I say we'll see, we are just getting used to a new larger battery bank and Magnum PSW2800 inverter.

We retained our Norcold 1200, with Amish Cooling unit/SS 30/Extra fans and smoke detector - as we wanted to maximize our Boon Docking capabilities. So no need for inverter power in relation to fridge duties.

We've read many posts over the last year or so, that many leave their Inverter on 24/7, even in parks with power. We'll probably try this for a few months, and see if we have any downsides.

Some of the rationales are:
-If a park has a power outage, no harm or fowl inside the coach
-DW also grins when she says she is tired of resetting the microwave clock every time we power up in a park!
-Keeping the batteries of the laptops and other gear topped off, is a small side benefit.

Our coach went from 2000 MSW Trace RV2014 inverter, to the Magnum PSW2800 - and yet we currently have less power demands having changed over to LED TV's. But wanted excess capacity, for future HiFi (Got Tubes) expansion. We bumped our battery bank up to 800AH's too, again for extra capacity if needed. And augmented all of this with 1200W of Solar Panel. We believe we have an abundant of capacity.

And as always, the generator is maintained and ready for AC usage, or whatever.

Suspect this time next year, we'll be in the 'on 7/24' crowd.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, on long drives, we have 3 power points. As in most Mhs they are located all in the dash are. One we use to charge phones, pads, and hot spot, one we use to charge my portable oxygen concentrator because I am on oxygen 24/7.

The other one is free for other things. When it is warm we drive with the Genny on to use the a/c. I have installed a big battery bank, and a 1500 watt psw inverter for boondocking.

We have a older coach that still has the Norcold, with a Amish unit. Everything works great for us.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I would advise using extreme caution with regard to portable heaters in a moving RV regardless of where it's powered from. So many ways you can get in trouble with something that gets very hot not being permanently mounted while on a movable platform.

If your AC unit ever needs replacement, a heat pump equipped replacement might be a great idea for your coach since you can't use the furnace with slides in.

Many A/C units without heat pumps can quickly and cheaply be retrofitted with a aux heating element too. I bought the kit for these for the two Dometic Penguin A/C units in my old coach and they cost me $54 each. They plugged right in to an existing plug in the unit and I installed them easily within 20 minutes. They were a great auxiliary source of heat (especially when electricity was included in the RV park rental), and came in very handy a few times. One drawback is that these don't have a thermostat, so you might wake up hot on marginally cold nights if you use them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
I would advise using extreme caution with regard to portable heaters in a moving RV regardless of where it's powered from. So many ways you can get in trouble with something that gets very hot not being permanently mounted while on a movable platform.

If your AC unit ever needs replacement, a heat pump equipped replacement might be a great idea for your coach since you can't use the furnace with slides in.

Many A/C units without heat pumps can quickly and cheaply be retrofitted with a aux heating element too. I bought the kit for these for the two Dometic Penguin A/C units in my old coach and they cost me $54 each. They plugged right in to an existing plug in the unit and I installed them easily within 20 minutes. They were a great auxiliary source of heat (especially when electricity was included in the RV park rental), and came in very handy a few times. One drawback is that these don't have a thermostat, so you might wake up hot on marginally cold nights if you use them.
Do you mean the OP's rig specifically cannot run the propane furnace with the slides in?

As far as using an electric heater use while in motion goes, putting it in the sink is about the safest place.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Do you mean the OP's rig specifically cannot run the propane furnace with the slides in?

As far as using an electric heater use while in motion goes, putting it in the sink is about the safest place.
I think he was referring to a post (dbt803) that said their furnace vents were covered with the slides in during travel.

I am not sure what you mean by the second comment.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I think he was referring to a post (dbt803) that said their furnace vents were covered with the slides in during travel.

I am not sure what you mean by the second comment.
In the second comment I was addressing the extreme caution he advised to people using electric heating devices to heat the coach while in motion. Except for the very small ceramic ones or if you only have deep sinks, the kitchen sink area is a pretty safe place to run one. Obviously with the faucet placed over the other sink basin!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
We have always traveled with inverter on, ran micro or whatever & no issues
how to turn the inverter on? while traveling?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #50

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrench View Post
how to turn the inverter on? while traveling?
If your inverter has a remote panel (and most do) then on it will be a control that will turn it on and off.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried to look at the signature of the poster that said their slides covered the heater vents. Can anyone tell me what type of RV that is?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #52

I have a 2011 forest river berkshire 390BH. When the slides are in the floor vents are partially covered by the carpet that is under the slides. I looked today and I could possibly tack them back to allow the heat through.
Traveling to Elkhart this weekend and the low temps will prevent me from using the heat pumps.
Just trying to be prepared.
Debbie
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Heat rises, I would try it. Much safer than a space heater. Ours gets downright hot inside.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #54

I will definitely try it because the temps will be cold.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #55
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
MSHappyCampers and Gary RVRoamer...Why do you run your inverters when on the road if you don't need them to do anything? I leave mine off unless needed...why subject them to the extra wear and tear?

I use the inverter to power the fridge so I save the cost of propane.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I use the inverter to power the fridge so I save the cost of propane.
Thanks, that makes sense...I'm still using propane on the road, so if my inverter was running it would be running for nothing...there is nothing for it to power. If the D/W wants to run the microwave, she turns the inverter on, uses the MW, then turns it off.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter