Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Inverter Problems

Hello to all and Happy Thanksgiving to each of you. Got up this morning to a problem that has me baffled. Plugged into 50 amp service, with a Progressive Industries EMS showing a constant 120-122 voltage coming in. While cooking breakfast though with the electric cook top, microwave and coffee pot running, all the sudden the whole system kind of just shut down, like not enough voltage to supply demand. TV went off. Microwave shut down, and other things going off as well. It kind of acted like everything was trying to run off the inverter only and the 6 batteries was not enough. It probably would not be enough either.
But I am plugged in though. There was a pretty significant hum coming from a cabinet where the passive sub woofer is. Can not see what that would have anything to do with it, but I did disconnect it. Humming stopped. Never got an error on the EMS outside either. I do believe it reset itself though, because when I went out to look at it, no amperage on either leg. Again, no errors. After a few minutes , we restarted Microwave and the cook top and it seems to be working(for Now). Any one have any ideas what may have happened?

Memphisbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #2

Sounds like you overloaded something that did an auto reset or reset when you unplugged. Off hand I wonder if you had the microwave and coffee pot on the same 120 V leg as half the cook top.

Subwoofers can hum like that with no input audio. I think that can be safely ignored.

I'd be inclined to maybe check wire terminals the next time I am unplugged with the power off. Other than that I'd be waiting for a second occurrence before I got too far into it.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ditto
Old 11-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Really has little to do with the inverter, except that power to those appliances probably flows through the inverter even when on shore power. I'm confident your coach has an inverter with its own internal transfer switch and thus the inverters overload limit and internal circuit breaker apply. It may be that the inverter simply got warm (adequate ventilation?) and shut down to cool and then reset itself later.

Cooktop, microwave and coffee maker together can be a substantial amp load and it may be some of those even share a single circuit.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

as I recall, there is a 2 minute plus delay when the EMS detects something before it allows power to come back on.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Its your Transfer switch!

I just went through the EXACT same thing...check your transfer switch in the power cord bay. Remove the cover and see if one or more of the leads are fried. Happens a lot as they get a little loose during travel
bdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. Starting to make sense now. Think I just jumped the gun a little. Sometimes I think I want to make more of a situation than it is. New to the motor home side. After having a fifth wheel for so long, where I understood it a LOT more, I think this is less of a problem than it really is. By the main reeaker box, is another box, for the inverter. Yes, there is a lot in that little box :
15 amp microwave
20 amp lights
15 amp refrigerator
20 amp appliance
all of those going to a 30 amp breaker
in turn that is going to a 30 amp in the main box
So, yes coffee pot, Micro, Cook top Tv's was a little much.
Again, thank you for your help (and comfort) and have a great holiday. Until I can't figure out the next problem...
Thanks
Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pics

pictures of burnt transfer breakers in switch box and the new unit I installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	183713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	183714  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1402.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	183715  
Old 11-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #9

bdozer,
The very first thing I did was to take that cover off and to check voltage and inspect wiring. All looked good and check good, but when we leave to go home I am going to check tightness on all lugs.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Smart thing to do. Some people mistake the transfer switch and the inverter. At first I was convinced the inverter was bad as it was clicking and the lights were blinking. I reset it a couple of times to no avail and then I removed the transfer switch cover and saw what you see in the pictures above.

Tags
ems, inverter, problems